Watch Repairs Help & Advice

SECTION RULES

If you are a new member, we would consider it polite for you to introduce yourself here before posting your questions.

Subforums

1. Watch Case Issues, Opening, Movement/Stem Removal, Case Parts, straps and bracelets

Discussing issues regarding the watch case including Opening, Closing, Movement Removal, Stem Removal, Pushers, Pendant Tubes etc...
    You can also discuss subjects relating to watch straps and bracelets here.

2. New to watch repair ** Safe Zone For Learner Watch Repairers **

Discussing subjects relating to learner watch repairers.
    More experienced repairers - please guide learners with patience and respect 🙏

3. Regulation, Watch Performance and Timing Machine (Timegrapher) Readings/Results

Discuss general regulation techniques, watch performance issues and your timing machine readings (traces).
    Balance Wheel Adjustment, Hairspring Adjustment, Regulating Watches, Setting Watches in Beat, Lift Angle

4. Service, Repair & Adjustment Techniques (Not Timing or Regulation)

Discussing subjects relating to servicing, making adjustments and repairs to watch parts and movements and fitting balance staffs. This section is not for timing or regulation discussion. To discuss Regulation or Timing please go here.

5. Cleaning / De-Greasing Techniques - including cleaning products

Discussing cleaning and de-greasing of watch movements including products used

Discuss fault finding. Post here for advise diagnosing any watch movement issues.

7. Restoration Techniques - Polishing, Refinishing, Bluing, Rust, etc..

Dealing with all subjects relating to watch restoration techniques such as Rust Removal, Bluing, Refinishing etc...

8. Lubrication Techniques, Oils, Greases, Epilame Treatments

Discussing lubrication techniques, oils and greases to use and Epilame treatment.

9. Quartz and Tuning Fork Battery Operated Watches

Discussing quartz and tuning fork watch movements

10. Shock Settings - Incablock, Diashock - Fitting/Adjusting Jewels, etc..

Discussing shock settings such as Incabloc and Diashock etc..
    Fitting and the adjustment of Jeweled Bearings, Pallet Stones, Impulse Jewels

Need help identifying a watch movement? Please use this section.

12. Watch Parts, Sourcing Parts, Movements, Materials and Lubrication Products

Discussing watch parts, the sourcing of watch parts and movements, and products required to repair and service watch movements

13. Documentation, Books & Service Sheets

Discussing watch repair documentation, books, parts lists and service sheets

8962 topics in this forum

1. Stem release not working

• 6 replies
    • 4.4k views
    • 2 replies
    • 1.1k views
    • 2 replies
    • 1k views
    • 6 replies
    • 3.3k views
    • 7 replies
    • 17k views
  2. Help identifying ETA part

• 6 replies
    • 2.3k views
    • 21 replies
    • 3.6k views
    • 0 replies
    • 19 replies
    • 5.7k views
    • 9 replies
    • 2k views
  3. roamer

• 11 replies
    • 5.4k views
  4. Alloy vs Steel

• 4 replies
    • 1.8k views
    • 2 replies
    • 1k views
  5. Chronograph Seconds Hand

• 3 replies
    • 2k views
    • 1 reply
    • 1k views
  6. Elgin 18s

• 1 reply
    • 1.5k views
    • 9 replies
    • 2.4k views
  7. Timex case..

• 6 replies
    • 2.8k views
    • 4 replies
    • 2.7k views
    • 1 reply
    • 1k views
  8. Pierce 134 Running Fast

• 21 replies
    • 4.5k views
    • 4 replies
    • 7.4k views
    • 8 replies
    • 2.4k views
  9. Smiths 27.CS Info & Advice

• 6 replies
    • 3.3k views
    • 10 replies
    • 3k views

• Topics

• While you might have seen it as a humorous/Dramatic remark was done very deliberately so I could get an answer. Let me quote myself? The simplistic of this entire discussion is the group would like the last forever.   If you go to the top of the discussion group you'll find something to click on that says staff. Then you click on Mark's name and you find out interesting things? For instance he was last here on Saturday so yes he is here. If there is a crisis or a problem he is going to be here. You will also find a list of his activity although that's only the public activity. There's a lot of work that goes into running message boards and he probably does a lot of stuff in the background that we don't see to keep it going. Unfortunately message boards do not run themselves. Then regarding this did you notice you can message Mark and ask him. Then if somebody, we could elect somebody from this discussion such as @Neverenoughwatches To reach out I would really keep the message super simple like? You could refer him to this discussion but I would really keep it simple Like for instance the group enjoys his message board and what could we do to keep it going Forever? Then regarding all of the other suggestions comments helpful remarks or ideas? When was the last time any of you bothered to read the message board rules? This is covered which is one of the reasons I did the dramatic things I did to provoke a response of the basics as opposed to starting to suggest or seemingly suggesting all sorts of ideas which are covered by one of the rules found in the section on rules. In other words I'm going to quote something from the rules of the message board.  
    • For me any input from Mark would be great. If he's keeping a close eye i would imagine he has read about our concerns here. But specifically i would like to know if he is ok with us collecting each others contact information for those of us that wish to provide them. 
    • Hello and welcome from Leeds, England. 
    • Thank you!   Yes I did. I did not notice a difference. Although 9415 is advertised as a thixotropic grease (and I did had high hopes for it), the only advantage at this point I see is that its “easier” to apply than an oil (if one does not use epilame). But this is subjective, I guess. What I did notice though, if you apply a bit too much grease, that definitely slows down the movement. Oil in this case is a bit more forgiving, as its super thin, and it would usually just spread out.  Again, imho.
    • Mark keeps a close eye on his forum. I'm sure if you asked him he will reply, he might not do it right away but you will receive his answer.