First pendulum clock tinker

dnhb

Grateful for info regarding the nature & function of the horizontal cog and the unit it's on top of in the picture. It meshes with a vertical cog (enclosed in the unit) on the arbour which is supported at its other end by the back plate of the dial unit to which it is not quite perpendicular...

20240429_153125.jpg

its used to lengthen or shorten the suspension spring from the front f the clock dial, this in turn will give regulation to the clock.

Try inserting a pocket watch key or even better the double ended key for the clock into the small aperture on the dial at the top and turning it, you will see the suspension block either raise or lower.

If it raises the clock will run faster if it lowers the clock will run slower

• Like 1

1 hour ago, transporter said:

its used to lengthen or shorten the suspension spring from the front f the clock dial, this in turn will give regulation to the clock.

Try inserting a pocket watch key or even better the double ended key for the clock into the small aperture on the dial at the top and turning it, you will see the suspension block either raise or lower.

If it raises the clock will run faster if it lowers the clock will run slower

Thank you very much,T. I'll try turning the arbour from the clock face end very carefully in case I haven't reassembled the suspension block correctly (I had to make up a suspension spring using remnants of a broken one as I haven't been able to find an exact replacement online).

• 3 weeks later...