I've got a newbie question here.  How do you store one dip to prevent evaporation?  I thought that was the point of putting it in a glass jar.  I was obviously wrong.  After a week or 

so it was gone and this stuff ain't cheap.  Any tips to prevent this evaporation is appreciated.

Purchase the jar for using its because it's very convenient the have a smaller jar. Purchase the solution in a can. I can has a metal lid and in addition to that like a metal stop her that's a pain in the ass to get out. But it's presence helps to keep it from evaporating then when you put the lid back on you have a piece of sheet plastic like a plastic bag in plastic to put that down first and screw the lid on and that seems to keep it in the can for quite a long time. Then from time to time you can put it in the jar.

This is the sort of jar you need: a laboratory grade jar with a ground glass stopper. Only pour enough in to allow the liquid to just cover what you're planning on rinsing (pallet fork, hairspring, etc...). I don't expect it to store in the jar but it will likely keep a few days. The jar I got has a 35ml capacity but I never pour that much in.

jar for 1 dip.jpg

2 hours ago, grsnovi said:

This is the sort of jar you need: a laboratory grade jar with a ground glass stopper. Only pour enough in to allow the liquid to just cover what you're planning on rinsing (pallet fork, hairspring, etc...). I don't expect it to store in the jar but it will likely keep a few days. The jar I got has a 35ml capacity but I never pour that much in.

jar for 1 dip.jpg

This is what I use. I also wipe a very thin layer of silicone grease around the rim of the lid. When I used to work in a lab we would also use Parafilm around the junction of the lid and jar to seal and help stop evaporation.

• Like 2

One of the best ways for storing anything is  in the container it comes in for instance the picture posted by @LittleWatchShop Is the candidate comes in perfect storage container.. Then the only modification to the can is  thin sheet of plastic before you screw the lid down. In the candidate seems to last a very long time

The end  when I'm actually using it I have it in the 2 ounce jar and I only put a little in the bottom of the jar.. I think it almost is never evaporated out of the jar unless somebody forgets to tighten the lid.. Which happens at work because other people use my jar. I have a picture I swiped off the website down below So they can see what the jar looks like.  So having the can for storage and the jar for use the system works quite well

cl-500.jpg.022eccd7fb4f4d76ff919e20894b964c.jpg

https://www.stsupply.com/one-dip-hairspring-cleaner-2-oz.html

9 hours ago, oldhippy said:

🤣🤣🤣

I found one dip to be utterly useless. I soon when back to Ronsonol lighter fluid. 

Since nobody has asked OH i guess everyone knows besides you where the welly boots fits into this or more accurately what fits into the wellies. Feel free to ask for an explanation if anyone IS unsure 👍

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/9/2023 at 8:50 AM, oldhippy said:

I found one dip to be utterly useless

I guess I came too late to the horological party to savour the delicate aroma of One Dip. Cousins have it listed as no longer available, to be replaced with "B-Dip" also by Bergeon. At £1.44 per millilitre, it must be one of the best value Bergeon products ever made! Does anyone have any experience with this? Is it better / worse than Renata? Does it melt your genitalia if spilled in your lap? Or is Old Hippy's Ronsonol the elixir of life?

Edited by DrHWO
Spilling mysteak

I got a big bottle of hexane to clean the balance hair spring, and it works a treat. Before treating with hexane I put the balance back on the main plate after I have disassembled the movement and run it through the watch cleaner with the rest of the parts, then take it off the movement and (once dry) put it into a my small jar (small hotel jam jar) of hexane whilst I build the watch up. It dries in air in seconds and is then ready to go onto the watch.

If I can't run the balance safely through the watch cleaner, I will soak in naphtha first as per @oldhippy suggests (naphtha being the main constituent of lighter fluid) and then once dry soak in hexane as above... Probably 'belt and braces' but it seems to work and if it 'ain't broke, don't fix it'.

Hexane evaporates very quickly, faster than acetone, so you can't hang around with the lid off, or have a leaky seal. I am also told it is safe on shellac, but haven't tested myself, but my results to date would support that it is safe. Like I said, to date I have had good results and will continue to use this method.

Hope this helps.

I use Hexane to rinse all the parts, including the pallet fork, instead of IPA as it's shellac safe.

I use tetraclorethilene instead of One Dip (triclorethilene), that I buy at 10€ per litre and works great.

Edited by aac58

On 6/29/2023 at 1:49 AM, DrHWO said:

Looks like Amazon have "N-Hexane" 95% for £25 per 500ml, so that's 5p per ml (28 times cheaper than Bergeon). Sounds impressive.

I nearly went for the Hexane but decided to choose the more traditional and health risky stuff of perc otherwise known as tetrachloroethylene. It arrives tomorrow.  Obvious safety measures will be followed.

On 6/29/2023 at 1:49 AM, DrHWO said:

Looks like Amazon have "N-Hexane" 95% for £25 per 500ml, so that's 5p per ml (28 times cheaper than Bergeon). Sounds impressive.

I'm curious to known what the remaining 5% is made up from Doc

8 hours ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

I'm curious to known what the remaining 5% is made up from Doc

That would be slugs and snails and puppy dog tails as they nicely counteract the carcinogenic effects of tetrachloroethylene. Or does that only work for the dextro isomer of hexane?!

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, DrHWO said:

That would be slugs and snails and puppy dog tails as they nicely counteract the carcinogenic effects of tetrachloroethylene. Or does that only work for the dextro isomer of hexane?!

I best get digging in my garden then as it arrived today, but as I'm very much a dog lover i will need a substitute for the other ingredient. Bull's pizzle ? They're readily available. 

• Like 1

From some posts I have seen the original one-dip was trichloroethylene, but the current Bergeon version is now 99.4% tetrachloroethylene aka as perchloroethylene or perc. Buying this as the generic chemical >99% rather than the branded one-dip should save a heap of cash, and then some!!, without sacrificing quality.

Would be interesting to see how each compares against the other in a shoot-out' and maybe even throw in hexane as a 4th option?

I assume trichloroethylene was replaced with tetracholoroethylene due to its lesser effects on health?? but does this sacrifice its effectiveness?

1 hour ago, Waggy said:

From some posts I have seen the original one-dip was trichloroethylene, but the current Bergeon version is now 99.4% tetrachloroethylene aka as perchloroethylene or perc. Buying this as the generic chemical >99% rather than the branded one-dip should save a heap of cash, and then some!!, without sacrificing quality.

Would be interesting to see how each compares against the other in a shoot-out' and maybe even throw in hexane as a 4th option?

I assume trichloroethylene was replaced with tetracholoroethylene due to its lesser effects on health?? but does this sacrifice its effectiveness?

Not easy to find this information out even less easy to understand.  Tetrachloroethylene ( a chlorocarbon ) did replace trichloroethylene ( a halocarbon ) was also used in making pesticides and refrigerants . Apparently the trichloroethylene had a stronger cleaning ability but higher health risk. Cheaper than hexane this litre was 22 quid. 

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

I was looking at Essence of Renata, a chemical used a lot for cleaning hairsprings:

"Specially prepared solution for degreasing watch and instrument components. Indispensable for degreasing hairsprings."

Looking at the MSDS you can see this is just pure n-Heptane, so could be an option for those who don't want to use the chlorocarbons or hexane?

HF6013 - Horological Essence COSHH Safety Data Sheet Horological Essence_0.pdf