Question

I have a nice looking 17 jewel, Swiss made Wittnauer watch.  After opening it I found that the balance wheel wobbles.  It appears that one pivot on the balance wheel staff is broken.  

My question is, can I buy parts to repair this? If so, where?  Do you suggest that I try to buy a balance staff, or a “balance wheel complete”?

Is it likely that an amateur with a few basic tools can repair this watch? 

Thank you in advance.

9FAE4401-5C47-48E3-9AD8-FA5AC22EA05D.jpeg

6 answers to this question

The easiest option is to replace the balance complete which can be achieved using screwdrivers and tweezers, which i would assume your basic equipment includes, to replaces a balance staff would require a means of removing the roller jewel, hairspring and old staff this would require more than just basic tools to achieve and either a lathe or platax tool would be needed and a staking set to rivet the new staff in place.

You need a balance complete for a Revue caliber 76/3 without shock resist you may find one on Ebay or doing a google search, you could also search for a donor movement to use.

This video of Marks explains how to remove a balance wheel from the balance cock, it also shows how to replace a staff using a platax

Cousins appears to have a balance here

https://www.cousinsuk.com/category/filter/msr-revue-gt-nirvada-vertex-thommen-wittnauer-movement-parts

Hard to tell from the picture, but it looks like you have a flat balance, not the Breguet variant. Obviously you don’t want the incabloc version.

Can’t be 100% certain, but looks like the MSR N1 is an alternate of which they have 4 in stock. They also have the staff if you are up for that.

Many thanks for those who read and answered my question.  I am searching for a balance complete to use in a repair, however, neither of the businesses I have found on the web have answered my question about availability.  

I know for sure that Cousins won’t tell you if a part is suitable for your watch. They work on the basis that you are a professional and know what you are doing and won’t accept returns unless parts are faulty.

Does your watch have a Breguet overcoil or flat hairspring?

Bill, As far as I can tell, the MSR N1 “Balance Complete, ordinary” available here https://www.cousinsuk.com/category/filter/msr-revue-gt-nirvada-vertex-thommen-wittnauer-movement-parts is the part you need. I can’t be certain though, and the only ways to know are to continue research through catalogues like Bestfit, Ronda, etc that I don’t have access to, or to buy the part and try.

Alternatively you could look out for a scrap Revue 76 movement on eBay, or buy the balance staff from Balancestaffs.com and ask a watchmaker to fit it for you.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

• Topics

• If I live to retire and will be in good health (you never know) my plan is to dedicate a lot of time to this wonderful hobby and perhaps even be able to make some extra money doing it. I really don't know if there's any money to be made by building quality watches and try to market them and sell them on eBay, but I'm going to give it a try. Perhaps branding is more important than I imagine, but I'll see. Also, I've been asked by several people to "have a look" at their old mechanical and automatic watches, but so far I've denied it, having too little time even for my own projects.
    • So I managed to get everything together and got my first readings using a standard stereo pre amp I bought for a turntable several years ago. Sadly i still didn't manage to get my diy microphone preamplifer kit  to work (the one i mentiont in one of my earlier posts). At the moment I think about ordering a already built preamplifier board but I do not have the qualifications to judge with would do the job (or at least would lead to better results then with my current solution.  That's why I am again counting on your help. There are some pretty cheap options but I don't know how to judge the all over amplification from the specifications given. My current preamp has the following technical specifications: Input Impedance 100kOhm, 5mV, Output Impedance 100kOhm, 250 mV, S/N-Ratio: >50 db, 12V DC, 100mA The options I'm most into at the moment is something like that cause its cheap and and may be an improvement (however I'm not sure about that) https://www.ebay.de/itm/TDA2030A-Audio-Power-Amplifier-Board-15W-AC-DC-12V-Assembled/292336674126?hash=item44109fa54e:g:nUAAAOSwKrhVZbo1:rk:28:pf:0 or even simpler: https://www.ebay.de/itm/TDA2030A-Audio-Power-Amplifier-Board-15W-AC-DC-12V-Assembled/292336674126?hash=item44109fa54e:g:nUAAAOSwKrhVZbo1:rk:28:pf:0 There are more fancy options like https://www.gearbest.com/other-accessories/pp_009478010615.html?wid=1433363 or https://www.gearbest.com/other-accessories/pp_009478010615.html?wid=1433363 but I have absolutely no clue if they would be suitable for the task at hand. The thing is that (as you surely have noticed by now)  do not know the first thing about electronic. But I'm eager to learn, I just don't know where to start. So thank you for your time cleaning my mess.   On the bright site as I said, I managed to get my first signals and I'd link to share some pics of that:
      This is my set up at the moment and some readouts from two of my watches (I hope it's okay to post the watch-o-scope screenshots). Today I broke the piezo trying to replace the cabels between it and the jack with shilded ones and now I have to get some more piezos to get my DIY-timegrapher running again. Let me know what you think and thank you very much!
    • Great website pointer jurowla. I've been on the search for options regarding my Seiko SKX007 and that site will definitely provide some options. If you wish your watch to remain original, 7S26 movements are still available new and as they were produced by the bazillions, many donor watches are available if you opt to go that route.  Our favorite on-line flea market has numerous examples of both watches and movements for you to acquire if you like. 
    • Thank you for your introduction and welcome to this friendly forum.
    • One observation I made is that very small movements are less forgiving than larger ones when it come to pieces of lint, etc.