Question

I have a nice looking 17 jewel, Swiss made Wittnauer watch.  After opening it I found that the balance wheel wobbles.  It appears that one pivot on the balance wheel staff is broken.  

My question is, can I buy parts to repair this? If so, where?  Do you suggest that I try to buy a balance staff, or a “balance wheel complete”?

Is it likely that an amateur with a few basic tools can repair this watch? 

Thank you in advance.

9FAE4401-5C47-48E3-9AD8-FA5AC22EA05D.jpeg

6 answers to this question

The easiest option is to replace the balance complete which can be achieved using screwdrivers and tweezers, which i would assume your basic equipment includes, to replaces a balance staff would require a means of removing the roller jewel, hairspring and old staff this would require more than just basic tools to achieve and either a lathe or platax tool would be needed and a staking set to rivet the new staff in place.

You need a balance complete for a Revue caliber 76/3 without shock resist you may find one on Ebay or doing a google search, you could also search for a donor movement to use.

This video of Marks explains how to remove a balance wheel from the balance cock, it also shows how to replace a staff using a platax

Cousins appears to have a balance here

https://www.cousinsuk.com/category/filter/msr-revue-gt-nirvada-vertex-thommen-wittnauer-movement-parts

Hard to tell from the picture, but it looks like you have a flat balance, not the Breguet variant. Obviously you don’t want the incabloc version.

Can’t be 100% certain, but looks like the MSR N1 is an alternate of which they have 4 in stock. They also have the staff if you are up for that.

Many thanks for those who read and answered my question.  I am searching for a balance complete to use in a repair, however, neither of the businesses I have found on the web have answered my question about availability.  

I know for sure that Cousins won’t tell you if a part is suitable for your watch. They work on the basis that you are a professional and know what you are doing and won’t accept returns unless parts are faulty.

Does your watch have a Breguet overcoil or flat hairspring?

Bill, As far as I can tell, the MSR N1 “Balance Complete, ordinary” available here https://www.cousinsuk.com/category/filter/msr-revue-gt-nirvada-vertex-thommen-wittnauer-movement-parts is the part you need. I can’t be certain though, and the only ways to know are to continue research through catalogues like Bestfit, Ronda, etc that I don’t have access to, or to buy the part and try.

Alternatively you could look out for a scrap Revue 76 movement on eBay, or buy the balance staff from Balancestaffs.com and ask a watchmaker to fit it for you.