Watch Repairs Help & Advice

SECTION RULES

If you are a new member, we would consider it polite for you to introduce yourself here before posting your questions.

Subforums

1. Watch Case Issues, Opening, Movement/Stem Removal, Case Parts, straps and bracelets

Discussing issues regarding the watch case including Opening, Closing, Movement Removal, Stem Removal, Pushers, Pendant Tubes etc...
    You can also discuss subjects relating to watch straps and bracelets here.

2. New to watch repair ** Safe Zone For Learner Watch Repairers **

Discussing subjects relating to learner watch repairers.
    More experienced repairers - please guide learners with patience and respect 🙏

3. Regulation, Watch Performance and Timing Machine (Timegrapher) Readings/Results

Discuss general regulation techniques, watch performance issues and your timing machine readings (traces).
    Balance Wheel Adjustment, Hairspring Adjustment, Regulating Watches, Setting Watches in Beat, Lift Angle

4. Service, Repair & Adjustment Techniques (Not Timing or Regulation)

Discussing subjects relating to servicing, making adjustments and repairs to watch parts and movements and fitting balance staffs. This section is not for timing or regulation discussion. To discuss Regulation or Timing please go here.

5. Cleaning / De-Greasing Techniques - including cleaning products

Discussing cleaning and de-greasing of watch movements including products used

Discuss fault finding. Post here for advise diagnosing any watch movement issues.

7. Restoration Techniques - Polishing, Refinishing, Bluing, Rust, etc..

Dealing with all subjects relating to watch restoration techniques such as Rust Removal, Bluing, Refinishing etc...

8. Lubrication Techniques, Oils, Greases, Epilame Treatments

Discussing lubrication techniques, oils and greases to use and Epilame treatment.

9. Quartz and Tuning Fork Battery Operated Watches

Discussing quartz and tuning fork watch movements

10. Shock Settings - Incablock, Diashock - Fitting/Adjusting Jewels, etc..

Discussing shock settings such as Incabloc and Diashock etc..
    Fitting and the adjustment of Jeweled Bearings, Pallet Stones, Impulse Jewels

Need help identifying a watch movement? Please use this section.

12. Watch Parts, Sourcing Parts, Movements, Materials and Lubrication Products

Discussing watch parts, the sourcing of watch parts and movements, and products required to repair and service watch movements

13. Documentation, Books & Service Sheets

Discussing watch repair documentation, books, parts lists and service sheets

8962 topics in this forum

1. Do not open

• 18 replies
    • 4.7k views
    • 4 replies
    • 10 replies
    • 6.8k views
    • 2 replies
  2. helvetia

• 6 replies
    • 2.7k views
  3. Vic

• 4 replies
    • 26 replies
    • 6.6k views
    • 3 replies
    • 2.3k views
    • 2 replies
    • 1.2k views
    • 1 reply
    • 1.7k views
    • 4 replies
    • 2.1k views
    • 3 replies
    • 2k views
  4. omega 283 mainspring

• 4 replies
    • 1.1k views
    • 12 replies
    • 2.2k views
    • 1 reply
    • 5.1k views
    • 11 replies
    • 2.7k views
  5. Rolex 3185

• 4 replies
    • 6.8k views
    • 16 replies
    • 4.4k views
    • 8 replies
    • 1.5k views
  6. Elgin pocket watch

• 14 replies
    • 8.4k views
  7. Keith

• 2 replies
    • 1.4k views
    • 11 replies
    • 3.5k views
  8. Enduro pocket watch

• 3 replies
    • 1.9k views
    • 24 replies
    • 4.5k views
    • 10 replies
    • 1.7k views

• Topics

• Compression Spring Various Size. This might be helpful. I have watch furniture restorers and how they go about this problem, they inject glue underneath with a syringe and clamp it, leave over night. Next day remove clamp and it smooth. You could use an iron but be careful not to burn the wood.  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/265697329513?chn=ps&_ul=GB&var=565484998457&_trkparms=ispr%3D1&amdata=enc%3A1jd_-94ilTHWZLQ3PxHeC1A73&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=710-134428-41853-0&mkcid=2&mkscid=101&itemid=565484998457_265697329513&targetid=1647205088320&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=1006662&poi=&campaignid=17206177401&mkgroupid=136851690655&rlsatarget=pla-1647205088320&abcId=9300866&merchantid=119334104&gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjwir2xBhC_ARIsAMTXk849TnBArEYdgv1DpHf_somCZYmB7ViqD3UtvNJJc_dn4kj0AFxBXngaArSAEALw_wcB
    • 🤣 i think your first statement is rather dramatic, but i will take it in good humour.  I think the thread speaks for itself John.  What we are aiming for and when i say we, thats not actually that many that have spoke up. Is to have a back up plan to keep members in touch in case the forum ever disappears. So in essence yes the group has maybe taken on a life of its own and would like to remain together forever ( 🤣 i can also be dramatic )  maybe more members need to give some input of how they feel about it or say they are just not that bothered.  Either way at least the question gets answered. Can i ask what the forum means to you and how you would feel without it ? Thats one answer Rich from one person, without knowing how others feel the thread was just a waste of time.
    • you should go to the European patent office and look up watch patents. I'm guessing it's probably impossible to make anything related to watches without stepping on somebody's patent it's good that they expire with time. They've literally as far as I can tell patented everything and anything. this is why is pointing out their other formulas for the Epilam I'm pretty sure Rolex might have their own formula for instance. somewhere in the universe I was once reading things that were rejected for patents for basically this kind of thing. So yes there is rules on what can and cannot be patented but I'm sure things fall through the cracks.  
    • Here is all the info on the 'Brocot' suspension block and regulating arbor. http://www.ian-partridge.co.uk/brocotsq.htm
    • I usually don't read new introductions but when you came to the group did you want to learn watch repair? The reason I ask is your watch seems so suffered some damage under your hands. And now you're ready to move on to a new patient and have you learned? I often relate watch repair like learning to be a doctor lots of practicing. Even though this is a damaged watch have you practice taking it apart and putting it together a whole bunch at times so you feel confident that the next watch you probably won't break anything? Then when watches were invented specifically pallet forks they didn't have epoxy glue which even if they did they wouldn't you used anyway because the pallet stones need to be moved around they need to be adjusted. so the substance of choice for holding pallet stones and roller jewel's in is shellac. It's a really interesting substance were if it's warmed up at melts the palace on can be moved around hopefully the correct position when it cools shellac hardens back up in the pallet stone will be held in place. If you're carefully could probably put your pallet stone back just warm up the fork carefully ideally there's a tool for this and your pallet stone would be fine.