Watch Repairs Help & Advice

SECTION RULES

If you are a new member, we would consider it polite for you to introduce yourself here before posting your questions.

Subforums

1. Watch Case Issues, Opening, Movement/Stem Removal, Case Parts, straps and bracelets

Discussing issues regarding the watch case including Opening, Closing, Movement Removal, Stem Removal, Pushers, Pendant Tubes etc...
    You can also discuss subjects relating to watch straps and bracelets here.

2. New to watch repair ** Safe Zone For Learner Watch Repairers **

Discussing subjects relating to learner watch repairers.
    More experienced repairers - please guide learners with patience and respect 🙏

3. Regulation, Watch Performance and Timing Machine (Timegrapher) Readings/Results

Discuss general regulation techniques, watch performance issues and your timing machine readings (traces).
    Balance Wheel Adjustment, Hairspring Adjustment, Regulating Watches, Setting Watches in Beat, Lift Angle

4. Service, Repair & Adjustment Techniques (Not Timing or Regulation)

Discussing subjects relating to servicing, making adjustments and repairs to watch parts and movements and fitting balance staffs. This section is not for timing or regulation discussion. To discuss Regulation or Timing please go here.

5. Cleaning / De-Greasing Techniques - including cleaning products

Discussing cleaning and de-greasing of watch movements including products used

Discuss fault finding. Post here for advise diagnosing any watch movement issues.

7. Restoration Techniques - Polishing, Refinishing, Bluing, Rust, etc..

Dealing with all subjects relating to watch restoration techniques such as Rust Removal, Bluing, Refinishing etc...

8. Lubrication Techniques, Oils, Greases, Epilame Treatments

Discussing lubrication techniques, oils and greases to use and Epilame treatment.

9. Quartz and Tuning Fork Battery Operated Watches

Discussing quartz and tuning fork watch movements

10. Shock Settings - Incablock, Diashock - Fitting/Adjusting Jewels, etc..

Discussing shock settings such as Incabloc and Diashock etc..
    Fitting and the adjustment of Jeweled Bearings, Pallet Stones, Impulse Jewels

Need help identifying a watch movement? Please use this section.

12. Watch Parts, Sourcing Parts, Movements, Materials and Lubrication Products

Discussing watch parts, the sourcing of watch parts and movements, and products required to repair and service watch movements

13. Documentation, Books & Service Sheets

Discussing watch repair documentation, books, parts lists and service sheets

8963 topics in this forum

1. Miyota 2115

• 3 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 2.9k views
    • 2 replies
    • 4 replies
    • 2.7k views
    • 6 replies
    • 2 replies
    • 1.9k views
    • 10 replies
    • 5k views
  2. Miyota 8215

• 7 replies
    • 6.6k views
    • 18 replies
    • 5.1k views
    • 3 replies
    • 2.1k views
    • 1 reply
    • 5.1k views
    • 3 replies
    • 1.5k views
  3. Miyota Escape Wheel

• 4 replies
    • 2.9k views
  4. Miyota GL30

• 8 replies
    • 4.7k views
    • 5 replies
    • 1.8k views
  5. Miyota movement

• 3 replies
    • 6.5k views
  6. Miyota Movement - Which is this?

• 8 replies
    • 7.7k views
    • 5 replies
    • 7.9k views
  7. Miyota replacement

• 0 replies
    • 4 replies
    • 1.3k views
    • 12 replies
    • 7.9k views
  8. MK-6358

• 2 replies
    • 2.3k views
    • 16 replies
    • 3.7k views
    • 6 replies
    • 2.4k views
  9. Modified ETA Movement

• 2 replies
    • 1.8k views

• Topics

• Hello and welcome from Leeds, England. 
    • Hi All, I'm Geoff and I've been working on/with watches and clocks since I was thirteen. My dad was a watchmaker and while he did not want me in the field as a profession, I've always maintained a pretty good working knowledge. In the '70's I kinda got pulled back into things because Quartz revolution began and he only had limited electronic knowledge. So we combined skills. He the watchmaker and me the electronics tech. Being here in NY helped because we got to know the folks from Bulova, Seiko, Citizen, and WOSIC. H.B. Freid was my Dad's teacher and I was fortunate enough to get to know him too. I still maintain a bench here at home and occasionally work on watches for friends although the hands aren't what they used to be. Not going to be working on any FHF59 or AS1012's any time soon. Oddly enough though my years working with the field taught me how to work on almost anything else mechanical and mostly electronic. Since I was the one in the family who maintained Dad's cleaning and timing machines. those experiences carried over quite nicely into the worlds of recording and audio as well as others. I look forward to the discussions and maybe still learning a trick or two. Cheers to all and nice to be here.  
    • The best and almost only way to achieve the magical £ 4.04 individual watch cost is via the loophole ploy of job lot buys Ross. Dividing down the outlay by the number of watches purchased. I've managed it many times in the past, this then gives you the extra edge of choosing any watch from that lot. Maybe we should have an all time winner, whos prepared to troll  through the last four years of posts and pick some worthy contenders. Unfortunately i have a poorly shoulder so i cant raise my right hand and my left shoulder is out in sympathy for my right shoulder. Put your right hand up if you think i talk a load of bull 💩     🖐 Tom's comment is purely restricted to  the Bergeon culture of " lets rip off everyone on the planet " Voted , i thought to keep it in pounds as originally designed and out of respect for Andy . Personally i would have kept the £4.04 as I'm very traditionalist and dont like change but i know how hard you overseas guys are finding it and i believe in fair play. I expect to be posting the occasional Omega or Longines but then you brought this on yourself so dont get jealous Scott 😆
    • Ah but, will you count DIY versions.
    • £10.00 is not a huge amount for a watch these days with the increased asking prices. Let’s count ourselves lucky we don’t have this for tools, it would be £404.00 🤪   Tom