Watch Repairs Help & Advice

SECTION RULES

If you are a new member, we would consider it polite for you to introduce yourself here before posting your questions.

Subforums

1. Watch Case Issues, Opening, Movement/Stem Removal, Case Parts, straps and bracelets

Discussing issues regarding the watch case including Opening, Closing, Movement Removal, Stem Removal, Pushers, Pendant Tubes etc...
    You can also discuss subjects relating to watch straps and bracelets here.

2. New to watch repair ** Safe Zone For Learner Watch Repairers **

Discussing subjects relating to learner watch repairers.
    More experienced repairers - please guide learners with patience and respect 🙏

3. Regulation, Watch Performance and Timing Machine (Timegrapher) Readings/Results

Discuss general regulation techniques, watch performance issues and your timing machine readings (traces).
    Balance Wheel Adjustment, Hairspring Adjustment, Regulating Watches, Setting Watches in Beat, Lift Angle

4. Service, Repair & Adjustment Techniques (Not Timing or Regulation)

Discussing subjects relating to servicing, making adjustments and repairs to watch parts and movements and fitting balance staffs. This section is not for timing or regulation discussion. To discuss Regulation or Timing please go here.

5. Cleaning / De-Greasing Techniques - including cleaning products

Discussing cleaning and de-greasing of watch movements including products used

Discuss fault finding. Post here for advise diagnosing any watch movement issues.

7. Restoration Techniques - Polishing, Refinishing, Bluing, Rust, etc..

Dealing with all subjects relating to watch restoration techniques such as Rust Removal, Bluing, Refinishing etc...

8. Lubrication Techniques, Oils, Greases, Epilame Treatments

Discussing lubrication techniques, oils and greases to use and Epilame treatment.

9. Quartz and Tuning Fork Battery Operated Watches

Discussing quartz and tuning fork watch movements

10. Shock Settings - Incablock, Diashock - Fitting/Adjusting Jewels, etc..

Discussing shock settings such as Incabloc and Diashock etc..
    Fitting and the adjustment of Jeweled Bearings, Pallet Stones, Impulse Jewels

Need help identifying a watch movement? Please use this section.

12. Watch Parts, Sourcing Parts, Movements, Materials and Lubrication Products

Discussing watch parts, the sourcing of watch parts and movements, and products required to repair and service watch movements

13. Documentation, Books & Service Sheets

Discussing watch repair documentation, books, parts lists and service sheets

8963 topics in this forum

• 2 replies
  1. Gruen 730ss

• 1 reply
    • 2 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 1 reply
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 1 reply
  2. Landeron 48 confirmation

• 2 replies
    • 2 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 1 reply
    • 1 reply
  3. Wheel movement

• 1 reply
    • 2 replies
    • 1 reply
  4. New old oil

• 1 reply
  5. Hamilton 620 split stem.

• 2 replies
    • 1 reply
    • 0 replies
    • 1 reply
    • 2 replies
    • 2 replies
  6. JEveritt

• 1 reply
    • 1 reply

• Topics

• Ok, with the parts You have, the easiest thing to do is vibrate a new hairspring, of coure for 16800 BPH. A couple of balance screws will be not enough, at least 3-4 aditional couples will be needed. And this if You have that many free holes. And cutting 75 teeth table for the contrate wheel is the other reasonable option Different things may have happened to the clock - the contrate wheel may have be replaced from another modification, the platform may not be original, the hairspring may have been replaced and vibrated for 18000 or the entire balance may have been replaced wit the wrong one...
    • I also agree with @mikepilk and @Waggy. Your readings look good. The amplitude drop between the horizontal postion and the vertical position is nice and low (only 18° difference).  The delta of 17 sec (-3 to +14) between those positions is absolutely ok. If you really wanted to improve on this, I think you'd have to look into the poising of the balance wheel (not the spring, which looks perfect). But that's a total overkill for this kind of movement. Leave it be.
    • I've just finished refurbishing a Memostar Alarm with AS 1931 movement (same as 1945 but with date and running at 21600). I was also surprised how many parts are available at Cousins. Like you, I was missing the alarm stem (Cousins stock them) and I needed new crowns. It's a nice simple movement for an alarm, easier to service than a Seiko Bell-Matic. BTW I made a note in my Servicing spreadsheet: "Pull out winding stem before removal".  It may have just been wear on my movement, but I found that the yoke could move out of the clutch if the stem was removed in the normal position (like some ETAs).  You might find this interesting     
    • I picked up this alarm watch at a flea market several months ago and recently decided to investigate.  I am not finished, but well on my way. As you can see, there was significant water damage.  Running these parts through my L&R cleaner was not enough to clean them, so I did manual cleaning with one-dip and cotton swab (the dense pointed kind).  The wig-wag was stubborn--the two gears would not release from the plate.  I soaked it in Kroil overnight and that did the trick. There was some rust on the balance staff, but not actually on the pivots themselves.  Nevertheless, I chucked it a step-chuck on my lathe and burnished the pivots. The watch is running and I have confirmed that the alarm drive train is functioning.  Since I am missing a stem for the alarm, I have not done the final assemble of the alarm components.  Surprisingly, there are lots of parts available for this movement on Cousins.  I will probably get a couple of stems and maybe some other parts that I deem necessary. The watch is running at weak amplitude (about 190) and shows some poising issues.  I will work on that. The last two pictures are after partial reassembly.    
    • Hello and welcome to the forum.    Enjoy