New (old stock) Poljot Strela 3017 pallet forks and cannon pinion no good

I'm building myself a Poljot 3017 Strela with quite a lot of new old stock parts in original sealed blister packs. 

I seem to have found a bit of an issue with 2 x new pallet fork assemblies in that neither allow the watch to run - one set stops the watch completely and the other set does not allow the balance wheel to make a its usual oscillation - it just keeps bouncing backwards and forwards from the same escapement tooth.

I've fitted an old used set of pallets and it's been running very well indeed, far better than any of my other (not serviced) Strela's so I'm fairly confident that I haven't messed anything up. 

I didn't expect to need to tune these pallet forks (and doubt I could do it anyway as I've never attempted to do any) as I just presumed they would be perfect - was I expecting too much? Is there something I have missed about installing new pallets?

I've fitted all new train wheels, escapement and balance assembly so this is a bit of a fly in my ointment. 

I also found that a new in the box cannon pinion doesn't have any friction fit to the centre wheel as it should do so have had to fit a used one of those too!

I wonder if anyone else has had this issue (regardless of calibre) with new pallet forks and cannon pinions (or other parts for that matter)?  I can't imagine there are fake parts around but maybe quality control has suffered at one time or another?

Looking forward to any help, tips, discussion or general ranting about replacement parts! ? 

Edited by Flagstaff

Canon pinions may or may not come with the friction preset.

Pallet forks will usually at least be in running adjustment but will likely need some adjustment in the watch. For a Russian watch maybe a _lot_. In many cases just 0.03mm of misplacement of the pallet stones will have the watch stopped.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, nickelsilver said:

Canon pinions may or may not come with the friction preset.

Pallet forks will usually at least be in running adjustment but will likely need some adjustment in the watch. For a Russian watch maybe a _lot_. In many cases just 0.03mm of misplacement of the pallet stones will have the watch stopped.

Thanks for the info. I may have a go at loosening the stones at some point in the (distant) future but until I can work out a good way of holding the pallet fork steady I think I'll go with the used set. 

I'm unsure of the procedure for tightening the cannon pinion - I take it there is a proper tool that would "crimp" (is that the right word) the pinion in the correct place?