What to do if watch hands don't sit tight on stems after many removals?

Question

After many disassembles watch hands in my watch don't sit tight on stem: if I make a sharp move they also turn a bit in the direction of movement.

Is it fixable?

1 answer to this question

Wristwatch?

Sometimes you can gently close them with a pin vice, and a pin in the hand hole to keep it from collapsing too far.

But it's fiddly work, and old hands with fragile lume in them usually don't fare well in the process.

• Like 2

• Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

• Topics

• Two comments: - it appears that you missed my comment above about using a thin plate between these surfaces. I made several such plates resembling to Dial Protectors, but using thicker plastic (guitar pick) and metal. The idea is to prevent dents and to hold down the entire surface of the wheel (similar to K&D staff removal tool / attachment which pushes the balance wheel down while staff is being knocked) - my preferred method requires some good eye-arm & don't breathe 🥶 coordination just for a few seconds while delivering one punch using a fine punch shown in my previous posts. No staking tool die, just two hands. You will be surprised how effective that method is. But the most important thing is that you were keeping everything under control and STOPPED as soon as you noticed something was about to go wrong. Congrats!
    • Thanks @oldhippy. I was fairly sure that was how this clock was finished. What is used to finish the brass to a high shine so that you can then lacquer over it? I would presume that something like Brasso (which oddly I can't find in Australia anymore) would leave a protective layer and interfere with a lacquer adhering properly? Please forgive the ignorant questions.
    • That's exactly what I did, and this is why it can damage the wheel : The force you apply by either levers, or hand pullers, at distance 'x' from the centre, has to be reacted by the wheel spokes. I believe there's a good chance they will bend before the pinion releases.  I tried under a microscope, and could see the centre of the wheel start to distort, so I stopped.  
    • Book suggestions noted, thanks! The winder is providing good service. The only change I made to the Mk 2 version, was to add a clamping device, so I can clamp it to a workbench when using it. I have added a small engineering lathe to my tool “arsenal” now, so I have been thinking that I might beef up the main shaft (currently just a hex bar), and turn something more custom made. But otherwise nothing planned. hope all is well with you. George  
    • You asked Are all brass clocks gilded in gold? The simple answer is no. Many are just lacquered. Modern clocks are treated with what ever to give the appearance of brass.