Watch repairer recommendations

If you really can not find the part or just given up  IMO take it to a watch repairer who might be able to source a replacement part. If you go to the BHI web site it gives a list of accredited watch and clock repairers by country. 

20 minutes ago, clockboy said:

If you really can not find the part or just given up  IMO take it to a watch repairer who might be able to source a replacement part. If you go to the BHI web site it gives a list of accredited watch and clock repairers by country. 

As an off topic question, what is the percentage of watch repairers do you think who can actually make a part with a lathe from scratch? As far as I can tell, most watch repairmen I have seen do not appear to routinely do such repairs...

1 hour ago, ifibrin said:

As an off topic question, what is the percentage of watch repairers do you think who can actually make a part with a lathe from scratch? As far as I can tell, most watch repairmen I have seen do not appear to routinely do such repairs...

Most decent watchmaking schools will teach you to make the parts OH mentions above. How many actually do in their professional life I don't know, but I can say most don't  ever make a staff/stem/other part after leaving school. When I finished school 20+ years ago I did a brisk business making staffs (and other parts) for other professional watchmakers.

For finding lost parts, I first search with a bright torch held at a low angle, then powerful magnet.

If not found, I clean out the dust container on my Dyson vacuum, then clean the whole area, including chair, myself, shoes etc. everything and everywhere.

Empty the dust container on to some plain white paper to help see the part. Of course a magnet is very useful at this stage.

• 3 months later...

My pocket watch came from my mother's family. It's been in the family for close to 100 years. My mother was born in 1918 and the watch was given to her by her aunt. A local clock and watch repair technician said that he thought it might be Swiss and that it broke his heart that he couldn't fix it. He said that it was a cylinder type escapement with a hollow spindle and that the balance wheel was broken, probably from having received a sharp knock. Can anyone help with finding someone who would consider repairing such a watch.

Watch face.jpg

Watch ID.jpg

Watch mechanism.jpg

• Like 3

Don't give up hope too soon.  There are a few of us who are equipped to deal with cylinder escapements.  The search may take some bit of time, and the price may not be that cheap, but I'm sure you'll find someone in the UK who can take it on.
I have worked on cylinder escapements myself.  I even possess a few.  It happened like other members have said: once you gain the special tools or knowledge, the particular jobs start finding you.  I just managed to get a NOS set of Bergeon punches a little while back, to fill in for ones I was missing.  I also have special stumps to go with my K&D Inverto.  These punches are likely the tools your other repairman lacked when he explained he could not repair it.  I would offer to take the job, but I am in the USA, and shipping has been a nightmare lately and things have been getting lost more often now, for me anyway, than in the past.  So sending it over here may not be a good idea yet, until that all gets sorted.
I sent pictures of the kind of punches used for cylinders, and the cylinder watches in my modest collection, if you find them interesting.

244251348_411167027346981_3404158174584215560_n.jpg

244160456_411167077346976_8498491812540662810_n.jpg

244196498_411167144013636_7015921669744984430_n.jpg

244201928_411167234013627_7254338259689630639_n.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Momswatch said:

Does anyone recognize the identification marks on the movement cover?

I think we may need a new photo of the marks with more detail and contrast, and more close-up if possible.  I can make out the word "Argentan" (did I guess it right?) and I've seen that word used to mean "silver" in another language, so it *may* refer to the metal of the case.  Possibly.
And both Clockboy and Old Hippy know your turf better than myself (being an old yank in the US) and you will want to consult with the British Horological Institute about certified technicians who are equipped to work on cylinder escapements.  They should be able to refer you to someone.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am looking for watch repair recommendations for a Waltham Day Date Diver & Lord Elgin Watch in Los Angeles California.  I'm not sure if this is the best place to post pics.  Just wanted to introduce myself. 

Waltham B-341

&

Lord Elgin 21 Jewel 626 Movement Men's vintage Wrist Watch 14k Gold Filled Case

Edited by Hondacb100

• 3 weeks later...

Folks I am at a terrible place with this ebay purchase gone wrong. I searched for years for a clean one but they all went out of reach.

This one was aprox $700 and seems clean and in great shape fora 60 year old watch. As soon as it arrived I opened it and pulled the stem to set the time and it fell off. The stem broke and the inner part fell out of the case. 

I did contact the seller where he sent me a new stem and crown but now it will not stay in the case.

Since I tried the new stem and moved the hands for the first time I see they are very loose.

All this makes me very sad as I have no skill to know or repair what is wrong.

I really need help with this in someone who can have a look at it

• jdm pinned this topic

Hi  The hands are loose in what respect, are they flopping about or when you move the hands they dont follow, could be loose on the canon pinion could be the canon pinion is also loose or  has no dial washer and rides up. There are a number of things can cause the problem.  As you mention USD I take it you are in the states. If check with the AWCCI or the NAWCC ia am sure they could put you in touch with a watchmaker in your Area.   Can you post some pictures on the said watch so that menbers know what they are looking at.   thanks.

3 hours ago, Gordie said:

Folks I am at a terrible place with this ebay purchase gone wrong. I searched for years for a clean one but they all went out of reach.

2 hours ago, watchweasol said:

Can you post some pictures on the said watch so that menbers know what they are looking at.   thanks.

There are literally thousands of different types of watches out there we need to narrow this down a little more like a name perhaps a make a model and of course pictures. Giving help and advice without proper pictures is not desirable.

Sorry guys 

I should have been more clear as the hands look to me to be not pressed on the center shaft. If I move the watch around the min hand hits the number marks on the face.

The biggest let down is the fact that seller said it was serviced and how could that be with these issues. The movement seems to run fine with the second hand and hour hand moving fine. So I think someone did not press down the minute hand right.

When I say 562 that is the mark on the case inside.

And I am in Canada and I payed 593 us which is approx $700 cdn

IMG_20220103_182653.jpg

IMG_20220103_183438.jpg

IMG_20220103_184134.jpg

Edited by Gordie