Watch Repairs Help & Advice

SECTION RULES

If you are a new member, we would consider it polite for you to introduce yourself here before posting your questions.

Subforums

1. Watch Case Issues, Opening, Movement/Stem Removal, Case Parts, straps and bracelets

Discussing issues regarding the watch case including Opening, Closing, Movement Removal, Stem Removal, Pushers, Pendant Tubes etc...
    You can also discuss subjects relating to watch straps and bracelets here.

2. New to watch repair ** Safe Zone For Learner Watch Repairers **

Discussing subjects relating to learner watch repairers.
    More experienced repairers - please guide learners with patience and respect 🙏

3. Regulation, Watch Performance and Timing Machine (Timegrapher) Readings/Results

Discuss general regulation techniques, watch performance issues and your timing machine readings (traces).
    Balance Wheel Adjustment, Hairspring Adjustment, Regulating Watches, Setting Watches in Beat, Lift Angle

4. Service, Repair & Adjustment Techniques (Not Timing or Regulation)

Discussing subjects relating to servicing, making adjustments and repairs to watch parts and movements and fitting balance staffs. This section is not for timing or regulation discussion. To discuss Regulation or Timing please go here.

5. Cleaning / De-Greasing Techniques - including cleaning products

Discussing cleaning and de-greasing of watch movements including products used

Discuss fault finding. Post here for advise diagnosing any watch movement issues.

7. Restoration Techniques - Polishing, Refinishing, Bluing, Rust, etc..

Dealing with all subjects relating to watch restoration techniques such as Rust Removal, Bluing, Refinishing etc...

8. Lubrication Techniques, Oils, Greases, Epilame Treatments

Discussing lubrication techniques, oils and greases to use and Epilame treatment.

9. Quartz and Tuning Fork Battery Operated Watches

Discussing quartz and tuning fork watch movements

10. Shock Settings - Incablock, Diashock - Fitting/Adjusting Jewels, etc..

Discussing shock settings such as Incabloc and Diashock etc..
    Fitting and the adjustment of Jeweled Bearings, Pallet Stones, Impulse Jewels

Need help identifying a watch movement? Please use this section.

12. Watch Parts, Sourcing Parts, Movements, Materials and Lubrication Products

Discussing watch parts, the sourcing of watch parts and movements, and products required to repair and service watch movements

13. Documentation, Books & Service Sheets

Discussing watch repair documentation, books, parts lists and service sheets

8963 topics in this forum

• 0 replies
    • 1.3k views
    • 3 replies
    • 2.5k views
    • 10 replies
    • 2.3k views
    • 5 replies
    • 1.6k views
  1. Hamilton Grade 912

• 2 replies
    • 3.1k views
  2. Oris Back Crystal

• 2 replies
    • 4.1k views
    • 10 replies
    • 8.7k views
  3. Tag Hauer 7T32B

• 12 replies
    • 4.7k views
  4. Gear Train Recoil

• 4 replies
    • 2.3k views
    • 6 replies
    • 4.4k views
    • 2 replies
    • 1.9k views
    • 12 replies
    • 2.4k views
    • 8 replies
    • 7.6k views
    • 4 replies
    • 3.2k views
    • 20 replies
    • 5.7k views
    • 3 replies
    • 3.7k views
    • 9 replies
    • 3.6k views
    • 5 replies
    • 3.5k views
    • 2 replies
    • 2.2k views
  5. This Is My First Try

• 1 reply
    • 3.8k views
    • 2 replies
    • 3.2k views
    • 7 replies
    • 3k views
    • 1 reply
    • 2k views
    • 10 replies
    • 3.3k views
    • 4 replies
    • 5.5k views

• Topics

• From the photo the pallet arm looks as if it has been tampered with the edges are not nice and straight this can cause problems on the banking pins. 
    • Update, I discovered that I could change the mainspring by removing the arbor and sliding it out from between the front and back plates. So I put a new mainspring in. This it what I  get over a 7 day period After winding                                          amplitude is 1 1/2 turns plus a few degrees.                                                                        ie just over 1 1/2 turns. 1 day after winding     gained 1 sec      no amplitude check. 2 days after winding   gained 1 sec      amplitude 1 1/2 turns                                                                                                              i.e. it lost the few extra degrees 3 days afer winding    gained 3 sec     no amplitude check 4 days after winding   gained 5 sec     amplitude 1 1/2 turns                                                                                                               i.e. unchanged 5 days after winding   gained 7 sec     no amplitude check 6 days after winding   gained 16sec    amplitude just over 1 1/4 turns 7 days after winding   gained 24sec   amplitude 1 1/4 turns. From  Based on video inspection, I am getting full pallet lock. So, my data seems to be at odds with the statement "swing of a balance wheel has nothing to do with the rate". However, I have noticed the banking posts are not controlling the lever position on the right side.  I may have some work to do here.
    • I can't tell whether or not some stem is stuck in the crown, I  think so though.  If the crown is stainless steel you could try alum to disolve the stem of try drilling it out. If all else fails, buy a new crown. 
    • Does anyone use the x5 eyepieces,  when i use them on my different amscope , the magnification changes to x5 but the field of view remains exactly the same as the x10, so nothing gained. The optical lenses can't be swapped out or at least they are not available as far as i know. 
    • I think maybe we're all a bit dim @ManSkirtBrew 🤣 99% of the time I'm working with the 0.5X Barlow, so mags from 3.5X to 22.5X. When I need a close up of a pivot or jewel, I take the Barlow out, and even put in the 2X Barlow, but it's a nuisance. So like you, I had that D'oh moment, why don't I just use 20X eyepieces (WF20X/10). They take seconds to change, and you keep the working distance. The only downsides are lower field of view, and less brightness.