Question

Yesterday my Oris watch hit a tiled floor when the strap pin broke and the back crystal popped off. Being in a rush , I quickly pressed it back into position and left it for later investigation.

Today the crystal seems to be fixed in position, but I have no experience of removing or replacing these. Was a simple press of the thumb strong enough to do the job? How can I check, other then testing with my thumb nail. Are these a simple pop on fixing?

Many thanks.

2 answers to this question

If you hold it up sideways and look at the glass, if it is in at an angle then you need to get that looked at. If it is flat perfectly then you should be OK.

If it is a water resistant model then make sure you do not go near water with it though as the seal may possibly be damaged.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Lorenz
      Hey guys, my name is Lorenz. I am an 18 year old electrical engineering student from Germany. 
      I got this Breitling chronospace a56012.1 from my granddad and I want to repair it.
      Besides a slight clicking noise while turning the crown ( someone please let me know if this is normal ) it works just fine.
      My main problem is that the black color on the Bezel is worn out on some positions and I dont know where to find a paint that holds on the metal nor do I know how to paint it again.
      I have worked with watches already, I disassembled a mechanical movement cleaned and oiled it again so I feel pretty confident in doing this job.
      And I would also like to change out the crystal, does anyone know what size crystal I need for this watch?
      Thanks in regards for any advice.

• By wilding
      Any advice out there for cleaning/polishing watch crystal glass?
      I know there are videos upon videos on howto clean acrylic watch crystal glass using toothpaste, Cape Cod cloths, an old toothbrush, etc.
      However, I am trying to get a number of scratches out of a watch crystal I have taken the movement out of. It is for me a "tester".
      I am fairly sure that this "tester" watch crystal is glass.
      I have sandpaper (wet/dry) and I have a Cape Cod cloth which I have just started using.
      I think you can see the scratches in question in the pics.
      So, what I have done so far is use 400-grit sandpaper to scrub across the grain of the scratches. I have also tried scrubbing in a circular motion.
      Maybe I am just not very persistent at this. I scrubbed for some time. But all I can see is that NOTHING is disappearing, and the only thing that IS happening is that now the whole glass is covered in a new set of sandpaper-made marks.
      Maybe I can use the Cape Cod cloth to get these out. Maybe I can use the other 1500-grit sandpaper to smooth things out too.
      This process looks so easy in the various Youtube videos. yes, I know these things can take time, but HOW LONG?? This is NOT one of the fun sides of watch repair that I am looking forward to doing now or, in fact, any time.
      I really thought that it would be the case that - scratches and marks on the crystal? No problem! I can get them out! :)
      But perhaps I was naive (?)
      How long should I be scrubbing with the sandpaper? Is 400-grit not enough? Should I get more coarse sandpaper?
    • By Nucejoe
      Hi everyone. Some vintage oris stop running not long after cleaned, I am sure the problem is common with vintage oris 677 kif and 704 kif.since I got many of them. I think of worn down staffs or weak main spring as the cause.
      Interestingly dropping one drop of aircraft fuel on top of the upper and lower jewels of balance wheel only and it fly like combat jet.
      Lots of hope to recieve your opinion.
      Regards joe
    • By clubwdw
      Just got this watch in today and was polishing the crystal when it popped out! Have looked everywhere and cannot find out how to get it back on! Is it a snap-in? Glue-on? Need help!!! It is an acrylic crystal, btw. Please and thank you!
    • By CornishPirate
      I’m looking at replacing the glass on one of my watches. It’s high domed acrylic. 
      Im browsing on cousinsuk and they list two different Sternkreuz High Domed glass. With step and without step. 
      Im just wondering what the difference is, as I can’t find anything online about them.
      Many Thanks