Omega Chronostop Problem

Geo

My recent acquisition from Fleabay was an Omega Chronostop.  Problem was that it was running fast…..very fast, about two hours a day.

Thinks to myself, either too much oil or it’s magnetised, either way I recon an easy fix……….wrong!

First I degauss the beast, very slight improvement. Ah so it has oil on it as well, OK balance out and washed.  Reassemble, stick on the Timegrapher and we have a result.  Plus 998 seconds a day (Better than two hours).  The graph all over the place shotgun style, and amplitude of 139 degrees…………. Houston we’ve got a problem!

Now I decide to have a closer look at things (I should have done that the first time} and I discover that the balance spring is distorted.  It was not parallel with the wheel nor was it on centre. The part of the spring that goes through the guide pins was also twisted…………damn!

OK, bight the bullet and buy a new one.  So back onto Ebay and make a very low offer for one, thinking I probably won’t get it and if I do well all’s well.

Now I think to myself, let’s take the balance wheel out of the cock and see if I can re-shape it although I was sure that I would not succeed.  Anyway one hour later after an awful lot of fiddling I ended up with a spring that not only looked OK but worked.  Check out the result on the Timergraph!

I was well chuffed, then I remembered that I had made an offer on Ebay. I wonder if my offer was accepted, now hoping that it wasn’t.  Would you believe it, it was accepted ……. Sods law! 

I will fit the new one when it arrives as I really like the watch and I’m going to totally refurbish the case and fit a genuine Omega crystal………Watch this space!

post-124-0-87195300-1396539095_thumb.jpg

post-124-0-77154900-1396539102_thumb.jpg

post-124-0-64208300-1396539108_thumb.jpg

post-124-0-11945900-1396539114_thumb.jpg

post-124-0-27237200-1396539122_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Much oïl ?, no your watch will be too slow and sometime will stop too...your Watch seems to be cleaned or, from what you say, magnetized. if you have not a demagnitizer. a Watch maker can demagnetize it for you :)may be also another problem that I don,t know.

Edited by SeikoWatch

Much oïl ?, no your watch will be too slow and sometime will slow too...your Watch seems to be cleaned or, from what you say, magnetized. if you have not a demagnitizer. a Watch maker can demagnetize it for you :)

Oil on the balance spring will make a watch run fast not slow. I did demagnetise the watch.

Edited by Geo