Watch Repairs Help & Advice

SECTION RULES

If you are a new member, we would consider it polite for you to introduce yourself here before posting your questions.

Subforums

1. Watch Case Issues, Opening, Movement/Stem Removal, Case Parts, straps and bracelets

Discussing issues regarding the watch case including Opening, Closing, Movement Removal, Stem Removal, Pushers, Pendant Tubes etc...
    You can also discuss subjects relating to watch straps and bracelets here.

2. New to watch repair ** Safe Zone For Learner Watch Repairers **

Discussing subjects relating to learner watch repairers.
    More experienced repairers - please guide learners with patience and respect 🙏

3. Regulation, Watch Performance and Timing Machine (Timegrapher) Readings/Results

Discuss general regulation techniques, watch performance issues and your timing machine readings (traces).
    Balance Wheel Adjustment, Hairspring Adjustment, Regulating Watches, Setting Watches in Beat, Lift Angle

4. Service, Repair & Adjustment Techniques (Not Timing or Regulation)

Discussing subjects relating to servicing, making adjustments and repairs to watch parts and movements and fitting balance staffs. This section is not for timing or regulation discussion. To discuss Regulation or Timing please go here.

5. Cleaning / De-Greasing Techniques - including cleaning products

Discussing cleaning and de-greasing of watch movements including products used

Discuss fault finding. Post here for advise diagnosing any watch movement issues.

7. Restoration Techniques - Polishing, Refinishing, Bluing, Rust, etc..

Dealing with all subjects relating to watch restoration techniques such as Rust Removal, Bluing, Refinishing etc...

8. Lubrication Techniques, Oils, Greases, Epilame Treatments

Discussing lubrication techniques, oils and greases to use and Epilame treatment.

9. Quartz and Tuning Fork Battery Operated Watches

Discussing quartz and tuning fork watch movements

10. Shock Settings - Incablock, Diashock - Fitting/Adjusting Jewels, etc..

Discussing shock settings such as Incabloc and Diashock etc..
    Fitting and the adjustment of Jeweled Bearings, Pallet Stones, Impulse Jewels

Need help identifying a watch movement? Please use this section.

12. Watch Parts, Sourcing Parts, Movements, Materials and Lubrication Products

Discussing watch parts, the sourcing of watch parts and movements, and products required to repair and service watch movements

13. Documentation, Books & Service Sheets

Discussing watch repair documentation, books, parts lists and service sheets

8963 topics in this forum

• 7 replies
    • 6.8k views
  1. Roller Jewel

• 3 replies
    • 3.4k views
    • 32 replies
    • 7.9k views
    • 19 replies
    • 5.8k views
    • 4 replies
    • 4k views
  2. Required Reading

• 3 replies
    • 3.1k views
    • 4 replies
    • 3.6k views
    • 4 replies
    • 3.7k views
    • 16 replies
    • 4.2k views
  3. Crystal Woes

• 2 replies
    • 2.8k views
  4. Seiko Kinetic

• 3 replies
    • 4.8k views
    • 3 replies
    • 3.7k views
  5. Movements

• 2 replies
    • 2.7k views
    • 4 replies
    • 4.2k views
    • 9 replies
    • 7.8k views
    • 5 replies
    • 8.3k views
    • 1 reply
    • 4.2k views
    • 2 replies
    • 3.5k views
  6. Tip Of A Stem ?

• 10 replies
    • 3.6k views
    • 1 reply
    • 3.6k views
    • 5 replies
    • 3.2k views
    • 5 replies
    • 3.4k views
  7. Perpetual Calendar

• 3 replies
    • 3.5k views
  8. Timex.....how To

• 2 replies
    • 4.2k views
    • 14 replies
    • 3.9k views

• Topics

• OK, I have created a solution to the above, I have made a fake protonmail account, if you PM me I can send you the password, just click on the contact link and enter your information, this should be as secure as it gets:     Login: email as highlighted in above screenshot WRTArk    @   Proton.    me Password: ..........PM me and I'll let you know   Only intend to use the contacts function, not the email or anything else - we are all grown ups, please act responsibly.
    • I went with 8.90£ because 12th century Italian mathematicians are always excellent topics to bring up when trying to get your guests to go home. 
    • As a beginner, I’ve found this forum invaluable. I doubt I would’ve persevered without its support. I’ve had the confidence to attempt things that seemed to me impossible only because I knew there were patient and giving folks gathered around this watering hole, available to share their skill.    I would very much like to know where to go if this one dries up and everyone needs to decamp.  There’s something special about the folks gathered in this group.  How to keep in touch?  
    • After a 3-week work fiasco that took up 137% of my time, I was finally able to get back to restoring a G. Boley 8mm lathe I picked up on eBay. I still need to do a bit of polishing on the tailstock but it works very nicely. Before and after pictures below. In any case, when I was reassembling the motor I wasn't quite sure which side the pully attached to, or if it matters. My question is ... does it matter? The listing photo below shows it the reverse of how I have it now, but it seemed that the cord and the reversing lever(s) should be on the right away from the belt.   
    • Thanks Richard.  That’s clear.   So - another question - how much latitude is there in barrel and spring sizing? Say I have have measured the ID of my barrel to be 9mm and (all other mainspring specs being equal), the closest match I can find for a replacement mainspring is listed with an 8.5mm barrel size, is it acceptable to fit the smaller spring in to the slightly larger barrel without compromising anything functionally?  I’m in this situation now with an AS 1686 which has a 9mm barrel, but the closest replacement I can find has an 8.5mm diameter listed in its specs.  I can find an alternative 9mm spring, but would have to accept a different thickness.  I’m unsure how much wriggle room is acceptable, or whether in mainspring sizing, there’s a priority - ie thickness over barrel size etc. Thanks again for any info.  Cheers, John