Rolex 3130/3135 Automatic winding issue

Hi,

I finished up servicing this Rolex 3130 and it is running beautifully when wound, losing less than a second a day. However there are two issues that are plaguing this movement that I cannot seem to pin.

1. Winding is smooth, however once I installed the automatic module winding became very difficult and almost felt like I am forcing it to wind. Remove the automatic module and back to normal smooth winding. 

2. The rotor does not sound like its winding smoothly. Now when I received the watch the rotor axle was completely worn (as with most un-serviced 31xx) so I replaced that using the proper staking punch and it seems to spin freely when I observed, but now on the third day of wear the watch is net losing power and amplitude dropped from 290 to 195, as the watch loses wind, and if place the watch up to my ear and shake a bit I can hear the rotor grinding a bit. Wind it up manually and the amplitude jumps up, so not a problem with the train of wheels. 

If anyone has any direction or insight into this that would be great. I honestly do not believe I oiled the automatic works properly first time servicing a 31xx movement, however I believe I over oiled and not under oiled. I plan on stripping and cleaning module and restarting, but I'm concerned I'm doing something incorrect as manual winding faces extreme resistance. 

1 hour ago, nickelsilver said:

The reversers on these must be treated with epilame, like Fixodrop, to function correctly. Super clean, epilame, then oil only the bearing points, not the ratchet parts of the reverser.

i did epilame them, but i did not oil them properly, im going to to disassemble and reoil  

As already stated it’s essential to treat the auto side with Epilame. This is a mistake I made with my own Rolex 3135. It ran great for a while but the auto wind just was problematic. After the treatment it has worked faultlessly..  There is an issue with the Rolex rotor axles than can wear if it has not been lubricated and forced to run for a long period.

Edited by clockboy

On 3/12/2023 at 10:52 AM, nickelsilver said:

The reversers on these must be treated with epilame, like Fixodrop, to function correctly. Super clean, epilame, then oil only the bearing points, not the ratchet parts of the reverser.

so I stripped down the automatic works and reoiled it according to some technical data sheets I found on the 31xx movement, and it is a lot smoother. Not as smooth as I think it should be, I have never worked on a 31xx movement so I'm not sure exactly how smooth it should feel. As for the rotor,  I ordered a thicker spring clip to try and reduce the endshake of the rotor, per the technical sheet as well. will update once that arrives. 

• 9 months later...

Hi @dibs1,

How did the new spring clip perform? Did it change anything?

I just finished working on a 3135. There is clearly a difference in the winding resistance/sound when you compare with and without the automatic module. But that's totally normal and logical. With the automatic module, when winding manually, you turn additional wheels (reversers and driving wheel). Still, I find that mine now feels rather smooth with the automatic module on. But you can feel/hear the additional wheels moving. When winding manually, the reversers have to turn much faster than when being turned by the rotor. I think they are primarily designed for the rotor-driven (slow) turning speed. Consequently, I think, one should only use the manual winding to get the watch going (just 2-3 turns of the crown) and then let the rotor do the rest. I think that will reduce wear over time.

One other thing that you could check, if you feel too much resistance, is the endshake/sideshake of the reversers. It should be minimal. See screenshot from the Rolex manual that you may also have.

image.thumb.png.968663f67b374629bf003c6da07a0c2d.png