Removing Roller Table From Ilinois Bunn

This is a two part question since, one of the issues is having two parts :)

1 - I have had several double rollers that were easy to remove with the inexpensive Bergeon nutcracker type remover. Two of my Illinois Bunn 17 jewel rollers came out in two parts 9roller table separate from safety table). I don't know if that was an error or if that is how it was set up. Help with this?

2-  I am now considering using my staking set... a nice and complete set with the graduated lever press. I read about the use of the lathe to catch the roller table in a collet  followed by a gentle twisting of the balance at the anchor points. Which is safer? Easier? I imagine the staking set is just like using the Rex set...correct?

Thanks!

Having not actually worked on a Bunn, I don't know if the double roller is in 2 pieces. But, its not uncommon to have them in 2 seperate pieces, the lower safety roller and the upper roller table. I did an Illinois Santa Fe recently and if I can remember correctly, it was in 2 pieces. 

I've found it's best to be 100% confident in knowing how something comes apart or you will risk damaging it......(i know, duh!)

I say this because a lot of the shortcuts out there have been developed by people who understand how and why certain things work and others do not. I'm guilty of attempting something without fully understanding how it is assembled or how it should come apart and then spending a long time fixing what I just damaged...Even job specific tools can really do some damage there is not  full understanding on how it is used for that particular job...

Hopefully, someone with experience with this particular setup with help you out....

Some double rollers do come off separately, but I am not sure about the Bunn.

I would say though that I have never heard of anyone removing a roller via a lathe, seems a little dangerous to me. If twisting a very tight roller you may be surprised to find you are actually turning the balance staff rather than the roller and this could potentially loosen the rivet?

But removing a roller should not be a chore. Many staking sets will come with a roller remover, the bergeon (nut cracker) roller remover is quite safe but takes practice to use safely. And of course there is the Platax tool.

I have taken some pics of how to setup the balance in a staking set for roller removal wether it is a single or double.

post-1-0-96618100-1395655203_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-21743300-1395655206_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-21655800-1395655208_thumb.jpg

You should not need to use a hammer. Downwards pressure using your fingers should be enough.

And out of interest, for those who don't know this punch is used for fitting single rollers back onto the staff the grooves are obviously for the impulse jewel:

post-1-0-82225700-1395655211_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I have taken some pics of how to setup the balance in a staking set for roller removal wether it is a single or double.

attachicon.gifIMG_1688.JPG

That is the roller remover tool that I need to find! I've bid on a few, but I'm always sniped at the end! Typically I use the Nutcracker style about about  80-90% of the time, but it is unusable when the balance wheel arms are mounted at the midpoint of the wheel itself or if the distance between the roller table and the arms are greater than the thickest part of the Bergeon roller removal tool.

That is the roller remover tool that I need to find! I've bid on a few, but I'm always sniped at the end! Typically I use the Nutcracker style about about  80-90% of the time, but it is unusable when the balance wheel arms are mounted at the midpoint of the wheel itself or if the distance between the roller table and the arms are greater than the thickest part of the Bergeon roller removal tool.

Sometimes it can be as well to bid on a whole staking set which includes an obscure part needed, then keep that part and sell the set on. Just a thought.

Sometimes it can be as well to bid on a whole staking set which includes an obscure part needed, then keep that part and sell the set on. Just a thought.

I bought this HG Wilson Roller Remover Kit yesterday on eBay...$55 including shipping.

I think a fair price for a complete set as long as nothing is worn out!

post-90-0-54576400-1395766860_thumb.jpg