Just Service This Watch...a Bit Of Advice!

DJW

I started out years ago by repairing antique pocket watches to resell. I forgot how frustrating it is to reassemble these full plate movements, trying to line up 4 wheels and a pallet fork all at the same time!

I have learned a couple of tricks to made the assembly process go a bit smoother.

First, when first reinstalling all the components (wheels and pallet), install them on the full plate, or back plate first. This is because if they are installed on the main plate first, it is impossible to lower the main plate directly onto the pinions of all the components. This is because the pallet fork has to be maneuvered into the balance chamber and can only be done by shifting the main plate sideways then together. Not an easy task!

I install them on the full/back plate so that the pallet fork is already in it's proper position. Therefore, the main plated can just be lowered down directly onto all the pivots. This is still no easy task, but it is easier than the other way!

Second piece of advice is when seating the pinions into the main plate...

Start with the center wheel, then the Forth wheel (because of the second hand pinion), then the third wheel, the escape wheel and finally the pallet fork. Also, I find it easier to set the back plate with all the components installed onto a movement cushion, then lower the main plate onto the assembly. Then you can hold the whole works like a cookie, or biscuit for you UK Folks ;), and give a (slight) squeezing pressure as you seat the pinions all the way around. It takes practice and still it will take forever!

I'm sure this is not the only way, but it's what works for me!

post-90-0-20314200-1395333350_thumb.jpg

post-90-0-92400100-1395333351_thumb.jpg

Excellent post Don.

I have to admit that it can be a pain seating the pallets correctly in these movements and I have never tried it upside down - I think I will give it a go next time.

And any self respecting Brit will call them dunkies, not biscuits lol  :thumbsu:

...just kidding

Thats a very nice pocket watch,  your article is especially interesting as I am just starting to build up a small collection of pocket watches and advice is always welcome, especially from someone who has been there and done that.  I have just bought my 1st. one, a Waltham Giant off the Bay, probably paid a bit too much for a non runner, but I will learn or run out of money and it does have a good case.  It needs a new Roller jewel fitting which I could probably manage if I had one, I really need about a dozen to allow for the fliers.  :-)

And any self respecting Brit will call them dunkies, not biscuits lol  :thumbsu:

...just kidding

Biscuits.........Cookies! What about Bannocks??

In times like these, I'm reminded what General George S. Patton said,

"Americans and Brits are 2 peoples separated by a common language!"