Watch Repairs Help & Advice

SECTION RULES

If you are a new member, we would consider it polite for you to introduce yourself here before posting your questions.

Subforums

1. Watch Case Issues, Opening, Movement/Stem Removal, Case Parts, straps and bracelets

Discussing issues regarding the watch case including Opening, Closing, Movement Removal, Stem Removal, Pushers, Pendant Tubes etc...
    You can also discuss subjects relating to watch straps and bracelets here.

2. New to watch repair ** Safe Zone For Learner Watch Repairers **

Discussing subjects relating to learner watch repairers.
    More experienced repairers - please guide learners with patience and respect 🙏

3. Regulation, Watch Performance and Timing Machine (Timegrapher) Readings/Results

Discuss general regulation techniques, watch performance issues and your timing machine readings (traces).
    Balance Wheel Adjustment, Hairspring Adjustment, Regulating Watches, Setting Watches in Beat, Lift Angle

4. Service, Repair & Adjustment Techniques (Not Timing or Regulation)

Discussing subjects relating to servicing, making adjustments and repairs to watch parts and movements and fitting balance staffs. This section is not for timing or regulation discussion. To discuss Regulation or Timing please go here.

5. Cleaning / De-Greasing Techniques - including cleaning products

Discussing cleaning and de-greasing of watch movements including products used

Discuss fault finding. Post here for advise diagnosing any watch movement issues.

7. Restoration Techniques - Polishing, Refinishing, Bluing, Rust, etc..

Dealing with all subjects relating to watch restoration techniques such as Rust Removal, Bluing, Refinishing etc...

8. Lubrication Techniques, Oils, Greases, Epilame Treatments

Discussing lubrication techniques, oils and greases to use and Epilame treatment.

9. Quartz and Tuning Fork Battery Operated Watches

Discussing quartz and tuning fork watch movements

10. Shock Settings - Incablock, Diashock - Fitting/Adjusting Jewels, etc..

Discussing shock settings such as Incabloc and Diashock etc..
    Fitting and the adjustment of Jeweled Bearings, Pallet Stones, Impulse Jewels

Need help identifying a watch movement? Please use this section.

12. Watch Parts, Sourcing Parts, Movements, Materials and Lubrication Products

Discussing watch parts, the sourcing of watch parts and movements, and products required to repair and service watch movements

13. Documentation, Books & Service Sheets

Discussing watch repair documentation, books, parts lists and service sheets

8963 topics in this forum

• 0 replies
    • 1.7k views
    • 0 replies
    • 1.1k views
    • 0 replies
    • 1.5k views
    • 0 replies
    • 1.2k views
  1. Fusee Mainspring

• 0 replies
    • 1.2k views
    • 0 replies
    • 1k views
  2. Watch Serial Numbers

• 0 replies
    • 1.4k views
    • 0 replies
    • 1.3k views
  3. Omega 285

• 0 replies
    • 1.4k views
  4. Timex M921

• 0 replies
    • 2.9k views
    • 0 replies
    • 1.6k views
  5. Balance Wheel Wobble!

• 0 replies
    • 2.6k views
  6. Poljot 2616 Part Issue

• 0 replies
    • 2k views
    • 0 replies
    • 3.3k views
    • 0 replies
    • 1.7k views
    • 0 replies
    • 1.5k views
    • 0 replies
    • 1.4k views
    • 0 replies
    • 1.1k views
    • 0 replies
  7. Waltham 1883 done!

• 0 replies
    • 1.5k views
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 0 replies
    • 2k views
    • 0 replies

• Topics

• I only buy mechanical personally, as it's all that interests me. There are a few electronic movements I find interesting, but they're not the sort I tend to see very often at all, and wouldn't come up in any of my searches. I have been given a few quartz watches over the years, but they all just sit in a bag in a drawer. Once I hit some critical mass, I'll hopefully get enough motivation to either sell or donate them.
    • Welcome to the forum. I was just in London this past weekend... great weather. I hope you also enjoyed it.
    • I'm surprised you say that.  I'd say that IF (!!) barrel diameter, beat rate and all other things are equal, the length is directly correlated with the power reserve.  A random/quick google search found me this quote from Longines "The length of the mainspring directly correlates with the amount of power reserve a watch has. The longer the spring, the longer the power reserve or also the reduction of the vibration, i.e. from 28’800 A/h to 25’200 A/h. (less vibration, less energy needed)." (https://www.longines.com/en-za/universe/blog/what-is-power-reserve-on-a-watch) A few anecdotal experience on my side would also lead to that conclusion. Then, of course, it depends what you mean by "verry small". In the particular case with an original MS of 300mm, going to 280mm, I'd expect losing maybe 2h of power reserve. Just a "guesstimate". 
    • Actually one would not claim such thing  about the power reserve without check to confirm this, but if any difference, it will be verry small.
    • Another question if I may. When you guys buy watch lots are you buying a mix of mechanical and quartz as well? Most of the job lots I am finding (all overseas) are a mix. If they are all mechanical, it is generally just movements with no cases. I am not at the point where I can identify movements by just viewing them so I'm not inclined to buy a bunch of stuff which will just end up lying around. Is anyone able to successfully move any of the watches they save on to someone else? I can't see a viable market in Australia for refurbished watches. Most people I have seen at work only have a watch if it counts their steps, answers their phone and makes the coffee. I'll admit it, I have a super cheap smartwatch on my wrist. Will I buy another one when it quits? Doubt it. I don't know if I would even bother with a pedometer. Heart rate? And do what with all the data? Blood pressure? Never been right since I got the watch. Sleep? If I can't work out that I'm not getting enough, I need to have a serious talk with myself. I think I'll go back to my Seiko and just make myself stay active.