• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well I would definitely start with Moebius 9010 (for train wheels and balance endstones) and 9020 (for train wheels) if you are working on Pocket Watches. Moebius 9415 is a must for Pallet/Escape

I have to say the oil side of watch repair makes me smile. Back in November  put in an order for a 55 gallon drum of 1000 weight steam oil for my traction engine. I buy about one drum a year and

I made this for anybody getting started, feel free to share.   Recommended Lubricants for Getting Started.pdf

Posted Images

On 6/14/2020 at 9:23 PM, Mark said:

I made this for anybody getting started, feel free to share.

Thanks Mark, as a student of your watch lessons I've been following your advice. In the level 2 course where you discuss lubricating various parts, In respect of the keyless and motion works video you lubricate the vast majority with D5 which I have adopted. However in this thread and in subsequent videos you recommend 9501 or Molykote for the keyless works. Can you advise which is generally correct? 

On a separate related note, the extended Seiko restoration video a oil/grease of purple appearance is used extensively, can I ask what this is please?

Many thanks, I'm really enjoying the course!

On 6/14/2020 at 9:23 PM, Mark said:
I made this for anybody getting started, feel free to share.

Hey, that was really nice of you to put this together. Thanks. So throw away my 2w20 synth:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• 4 weeks later...
54 minutes ago, Lwayslate said:

None of these links work for me on my Android phone. Any ideas how to fix this?

Stop using Tapatalk, install a PDF reader if needed, or even (much) better, use a desktop.

• 3 weeks later...

Many oils have expiration dates on them - 

Can you please comment on what the cons of for using expired oils and if this is marketing ploy or a an actual valid indication of when the oils degenerate and are not to their full intended use ?

Thank you

Art G 

Edited by ArtG
to notify me of replies
52 minutes ago, ArtG said:

Many oils have expiration dates on them 

This has often been discussed here, example below. And if you enter "expired" in the search box on the top right you will get even more hits.

Also, we have a dedicated section where it's considered polite for new members to introduce themselves.

Edited by jdm
  • 1 month later...

Hi everyone, first post for me but a long time lurker of this sub-section as I'm starting into watchmaking. I'm in the process of getting the needed tools and remain some stuff to come with long delays in parcel shipping/deliveries...

I did a lot of research across many forums as I try to get what is really essential and what can be substituted. Here is what I resumed so far in my notes :

Must have oils/grease :

Moebius 9010 : Good for balance and escape wheels jewels. Moebius 8000 is a cheap substitute but with the longer life of synthetic oils, it's better to get 9010 even if it cost a bit more which can be split across over 1000 movements.

Moebius 9415 : For pallet stone. This is the only choice which make sense (some say 941 for slow movements and 9415 for faster movements but the main difference is that 9415 is a grease which turn liquid on impact so it stay on the pallet stone better).

Moebius 9104 (HP-1300) : heavier oil for the rest of the gears jewels, barrel arbor, cannon pinion. some even say it's also good for keyless works but i believe it's not really optimal. It replace Moebius D-5.

The only things left I still get so confused with many contradictory informations are greases for keyless works and braking grease.

For keyless works, the ideal one is 9501/9504 (not sure about the difference) but it's really expensive. Many recommend Molykote DX as a good substitute and I agree it's a good price but the problem is that it can contaminate cleaning solutions and many manufacturers ban them from the servicing protocol. Another one I heard something is Bergeon KT-22, a bit more expensive than Molykote DX but is a clear color, not staining cleaning solutions. I'm thinking to go with KT-22 as keyless works isn't as sollicited as gears/motion works and it's easier to reapply without needing a full service (just disassemble keyless works to clean then reassemble/grease). What are your opinions on this.

For braking grease (only for automatic movements), The general recommendation for the best is Kluber P125 but it's really expensive and not easily found everywhere. The generally accepted consensus is 8212 for Aluminium/steel barrel wall and 8213 for brass barrel wall. But there is also 8217 available, which is a stronger braking grease from what I understand. Since I want to get only 1 which can serve all purposes, what is the proper choice ? Are there other alternatives I might have missed out.

2 hours ago, Xilikon said:

The only things left I still get so confused with many contradictory informations are greases for keyless works and braking grease.

Lubrication threads always are (in the best watchmaking tradition) contradictory. 

My opinion and direct experience: HP-1300 is perfectly fine for keyless and cannon pinion also. And you can try without much worry to dry fit automatic mainsprings, because metal to metal friction is good enough in most cases.