• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well I would definitely start with Moebius 9010 (for train wheels and balance endstones) and 9020 (for train wheels) if you are working on Pocket Watches. Moebius 9415 is a must for Pallet/Escape

I made this for anybody getting started, feel free to share.   Recommended Lubricants for Getting Started.pdf

I have to say the oil side of watch repair makes me smile. Back in November  put in an order for a 55 gallon drum of 1000 weight steam oil for my traction engine. I buy about one drum a year and

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Jeremy1025 said:

if i use molykote dx paste to lubricate the whole mainspring inside. is that any problem ? please advise

You never lubricate the whole mainspring. Depending on the type and material uses on MS and barrel all it's needed is very little specific product on the top and bottom of the barrel, and even that is subject to debate, . If it's an automatic some "braking" type product is applied to the wall of the barrel.

BTW, it's appreciated that new members introduce themselves in the dedicated section of the forum.

Edited by jdm
  • Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi my friends.

I saw WRT video in youtube. It's so helpful to me. Thank you Watch Repair Channel.

After watching video, I'm looking for watch repair oil and grease.

I want know what oil & grease need to beginner.
In addition, I want know what oil &grease used in video (7s26 repiar video).

If anyone knew about that, help my work.

I will very appreciate any information or links.

Thank you to read my poor writing. 

What sort of watches do you want to work on?

Pocket watches?

Mechanical Wristwates? Auto or Manual?

Quartz watches?

Pocket watches and wrist watches have some oils that are used on both of them, but also different oils too.

To get all the oils and greases you use will set you back a couple of hundred dollars.

A not extensive list of oils abd greases are:

Moebius 9010 (for train wheels and balance endstones) and 9020 (for train wheels) if you are working on Pocket Watches.

Moebius 9415 is a must for Pallet/Escape wheel teeth.

A quality silicon grease for case gaskets

Moebius D5 is essential (barrel arbor, motion work).

Moebius 9501 grease for keyless work.

Moebius 9501 or 9504 for high friction (e.g. Cannon pinion, Setting lever spring and anything at high friction).

Moebius 8200 grease for mainspring on manual wind watches

But when starting out just get Moebius 9010, 9415, D5 and 8200, you can add the rest as time goes on

• Like 1
On ‎5‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 11:20 PM, Tmuir said:

What sort of watches do you want to work on?

Pocket watches?

Mechanical Wristwates? Auto or Manual?

Quartz watches?

Pocket watches and wrist watches have some oils that are used on both of them, but also different oils too.

To get all the oils and greases you use will set you back a couple of hundred dollars.

A not extensive list of oils abd greases are:

Moebius 9010 (for train wheels and balance endstones) and 9020 (for train wheels) if you are working on Pocket Watches.

Moebius 9415 is a must for Pallet/Escape wheel teeth.

A quality silicon grease for case gaskets

Moebius D5 is essential (barrel arbor, motion work).

Moebius 9501 grease for keyless work.

Moebius 9501 or 9504 for high friction (e.g. Cannon pinion, Setting lever spring and anything at high friction).

Moebius 8200 grease for mainspring on manual wind watches

But when starting out just get Moebius 9010, 9415, D5 and 8200, you can add the rest as time goes on

Thank you for kind and accurated comment.

Now, I can buy oils and grease. Thank you so much!!

No worries, start on cheaper watches you won't be upset if you break them as we all damaged the first few watches we worked on one way or another

On 5/16/2019 at 3:35 PM, HongJiho said:

I want know what oil & grease need to beginner.
In addition, I want know what oil &grease used in video (7s26 repiar video).

Check this comprehensive topic:

Also, please post repair question in the dedicated section: "Watch Repair help and Advice".

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/23/2016 at 1:30 PM, sstakoff said:

In the ETA 7750 guide, they refer to HP-1300 as well as HP-1300 SC. I have never heard of "SC" and cannot find anything describing what exactly that is. Does anyone know??Screen Shot 2016-06-23 at 7.26.54 AM.pngScreen Shot 2016-06-23 at 7.27.08 AM.png

Found the same in ETA's tech sheet for cal. 2824-2. After some research, I found out that the only difference between the "HP-1300" and the "HP-1300 SC" (as far as I can tell) is that "HP-1300 SC" is colourless whereas the "HP-1300" is coloured red. I have no idea what the effect on the movement would be though if any!? I'm inclined to use "HP-1300" in all parts servicing my first ETA cal. 2824-2. Good or bad idea?

9 hours ago, VWatchie said:

Found the same in ETA's tech sheet for cal. 2824-2. After some research, I found out that the only difference between the "HP-1300" and the "HP-1300 SC" (as far as I can tell) is that "HP-1300 SC" is colourless whereas the "HP-1300" is coloured red. I have no idea what the effect on the movement would be though if any!?

If one takes the time to read the entire Moebius catalogue there are many more subtle variations, that are not actually available to retail. As an hobbyist I think one should concentrate on more important issues, like applying correctly, etc.

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...
On ‎2‎/‎19‎/‎2014 at 12:39 PM, Dwdrummer97 said:

About a year ago when I was just starting to get a bit serious about starting this hobby I bought one of those cheap watch repair kits. I have since replaced all the crap in there with quality versions of what they were supposed to be. My question relating to this topic is this little tube of oil in the kit. Is this just more junk from the kit or does it have any purpose or can it be used in place of any of Marks suggestions? Seems VERY light and my feeling is that the trash can is its new place.

post-56-0-73628100-1392842307_thumb.jpg

i recognize that "oiler pen".  it is an off the shelve universal oil. not for watches.  better than  wd - 40.  vin

If one takes the time to read the entire Moebius catalogue there are many more subtle variations, that are not actually available to retail. As an hobbyist I think one should concentrate on more important issues, like applying correctly, etc.

If you over oil, not good: use rodico to remove and start again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1
  • 6 months later...

I've just finished reading through this whole thread. Early on Mark said that Molykote DX was a possible substitute for 9501. However, on Esslinger they say that Molykote DX is said to be similar to D5. Does that mean that Molykote DX can work as a decent substitute for both 9501 and D5? I'm guessing the application might be a bit trickier due to the reduced viscosity of DX, but would it perform similarly?

6 minutes ago, Thesecondtallestman said:

I've just finished reading through this whole thread. Early on Mark said that Molykote DX was a possible substitute for 9501. However, on Esslinger they say that Molykote DX is said to be similar to D5. Does that mean that Molykote DX can work as a decent substitute for both 9501 and D5? I'm guessing the application might be a bit trickier due to the reduced viscosity of DX, but would it perform similarly?

I know that Mark used the good old D5 in few videos but being it natural base it has been largely surpassed by synthetic like HP-1300 under all aspects. The only reason you will find it referenced in old service sheets is because.. they are old.

• Like 1

Hi as you have already found out lubrication of watches is a minefield every one has there own ideas and theories. As jdm remarked some of the products mentioned on the sheets have been superceeded by more modern products. I have attached the moebius book and the rules of lubrication (omega) so by reading both and making an informed choice.     cheers

moebius-specsbook.pdf 1472711985_8645_WI_40_rulesforlubricationcousinsuk (1).pdf

• Thanks 2
6 hours ago, watchweasol said:

Hi as you have already found out lubrication of watches is a minefield every one has there own ideas and theories. As jdm remarked some of the products mentioned on the sheets have been superceeded by more modern products. I have attached the moebius book and the rules of lubrication (omega) so by reading both and making an informed choice.     cheers

moebius-specsbook.pdf 3.63 MB · 5 downloads 1472711985_8645_WI_40_rulesforlubricationcousinsuk (1).pdf 1.28 MB · 8 download

Thanks @watchweasol please keep on the good work with your valuable contribution ,data sheets help a lot.

• 3 months later...

Greetings!

I'm a complete novice, but have been enjoying the marvel of taking a few victim movements apart and putting them back together for practice. Next I moved onto amateur cleaning of movements but that poses a new problem about oils after cleaning. After a little research it seems like there are different oils for every part of a movement, there's something about centistokes, different brands and brand numbers, etc. I pose the question to y'all; what lubricants do you use? As a novice, what oils should I start off with? Is there a multi-use oil that isn't really the best for all it's applications, but does an okay enough job to start with practicing? I've seen oil applicators, and it appears they have different sized and shaped tips. I assume this is like measuring cups for cooking. If I need a cup for measuring, a one cup measuring cup works best but I can still get away will doubling a half cup measuring cup. Is this how oil applicators work? What is the best applicator to use? I hope I'm not overwhelming with the questions, I'm just eager to learn. Thank you in advance, cheers!

30 minutes ago, Xander said:

As a novice, what oils should I start off with?

Please have a full read of the below. It answers all your questions and some more. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Then While you're reading the above  discussion make sure if you don't read every single message you at least skim through to the very end where somebody's posted some links to PDFs. I was going to do it but I checked and what I was going to post is already they are so no point in doing it here.

Then just as a minor reminder watch repair spans a lot of time. Time causes things like watch companies change their thoughts on things. Time also means lots and lots of sources and ideas for lubrication. So if you grasp why you purchased the lubrication where you think it's supposed to go and you're happy with the results then you don't have to worry about all the rest of the suggestions confusion etc. and you're good to go.