Lee

Stereo Microscope

I use a standard but modified pine desk which is painted white and covered in white vinyl, an adjustable stool which gives me just the right height. The movement or movement holder would be about 22cm from the front edge of the desk which is lipped at the front to catch  (most) airborne springs and screws. I can work for hours without back or eye strain but whatever arrangement you have I think regular breaks are important

After VAT, shipping, and the Pound to USD exchange rate it became cost prohibitive.

I ordered an Amscope SE-400-Z instead. 10X and 20X pairs with X1 objective. I also won’t have to buy a voltage converter.

I hope it works just as well as the Brunel BM-1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use an Carl Zeiss Stemi DV4 Stereo Microscope to inspect the jewels with, before I used it as one is supposed to but nowadays I have become a bit lazy and put a cheap USB camera on the ocular. Took me 22 minutes to make it with a 3D printer.
One can get quite a nice picture on a computer screen with a setup like that and even take one odd picture on for example a cap jewel.

USB_Zeiss.jpg

Stemi DV4.jpg

5 hours ago, mlfloyd1 said:

Elevation speaking, when working on watches should the microscope be used on top of the watch bench or on top of a standard desk?

I would guess that depends on how long you work by the microscope. At a labaratory one mostly costum fit the microscope to fit your hight and so on. I use a standard desk but have an adjustable chair instead.

Some of our yonger personel even likes to stand on a ergonomic rubber matt instead of sitting.
Here is some instructions from Leica about the matter.

Reading this thread has me really wanting a stereo microscope.  I'm just a watch hobbyist, but I also do quite a bit of work on smallish firearm assemblies.  I've been looking at scopes like some of the 10-20x ones on Ebay for over a year now.  There is one that gives an 8" working area, which seems like it would be adequate.  Some times, even when using a loop I will bump my screwdriver hand with the loop. A little separation seems like it would be a nice thing.

From this thread, it sounds like the 10x power is the most utilized?