Stereo Microscope

Thank you kindly. I am sorry for the stupid questions. As I go along I discover things and realize the questions I asked are stupid. Can you point me to a page that describes how to set the scope up for the first time because I am not sure what any of these knobs do and I am having trouble because the object appears to be out of focus and dark in the lenses. Again....thank you kindly for your patience.

3 minutes ago, taran2ula said:

Can you point me to a page that describes how to set the scope up for the first time because I am not sure what any of these knobs do and I am having trouble because the object appears to be out of focus and dark in the lenses.

Best bet is to check out the original instruction manual

• 3 months later...

You will need a Binocular Microscope. I have one over my lathe for pivot/balance staff work & one on my bench to look at jewels/Shock springs etc. To take pics see link below. PS. I have never tried the method suggested below but will give it a try myself (when time !!)

The microscope  over my lathe is a Bausch & Lomb & the one on my bench is an Olympus. Both purchased used from a guy (Macombe) who runs company called

http://pennyfarthingtools.co.uk

http://www.instructables.com/id/Take-digital-photos-through-a-microscope-without-a/

Agreed but how about type? I am seeing zoom models in the 3.5x-40x range. Is that sufficient. I agree with the glass quality. All my rifle scopes are Leupold or Vortex top line. I am in the states so I would rather not buy from your buddy. There are good places to buy in New York. Was just looking for recommended features and configurations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm trying to specify one myself, although it will be a bit of time before I pull the trigger. I've been looking here -

Amscope

And am looking at something sort of like this -

7X-45X Trinocular

But specifically,

A trinocular head with the simul-focus feature. Allows eyepiece and camera use at the same time.

Double arm boom stand allows flexibility.

Extend the magnification with 0.5 and 2.0 barlow lenses, which mount on the objective (the nose, not the eyepieces) to give a total of 3.5X-90X, although not all at the same time.

Probably an LED ring light. 

Some other things I still need to decide on, but I'm also curious if I'm heading in the right direction.

Maybe this will help you narrow down amongst the billions of choices. By the way, this setup is generally known as an industrial inspection microscope, and is most commonly used in the electronics industry, but also for engraving and I'm hoping watchmaking.

Good luck!

I'm trying to specify one myself, although it will be a bit of time before I pull the trigger. I've been looking here -

Amscope

7X-45X Trinocular

But specifically,

A trinocular head with the simul-focus feature. Allows eyepiece and camera use at the same time.

Extend the magnification with 0.5 and 2.0 barlow lenses, which mount on the objective (the nose, not the eyepieces) to give a total of 3.5X-90X, although not all at the same time.

Some other things I still need to decide on, but I'm also curious if I'm heading in the right direction.

Maybe this will help you narrow down amongst the billions of choices. By the way, this setup is generally known as an industrial inspection microscope, and is most commonly used in the electronics industry, but also for engraving and I'm hoping watchmaking.

Good luck!

Awesome info. Exactly what I was looking for. Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep, very close to what I'm looking at. Pilar instead of boom stand, no simul-focus, but you save a bunch of money that way.

Does simul-focus have to do with the individual eyepieces or the camera port?

I was originally looking for a boom microscope, but I want to save on money and space.

Sent from my XT1064 using Tapatalk

On August 18, 2016 at 7:05 AM, dadistic said:

Amscope

7X-45X Trinocular

But specifically,

Good luck!

I have this exact model stereo microscope ,...It's big , so you need the room , and the pedestal alone weighs 22 lbs .  I like it except for a couple of things .

1,] When you use the camera , you lose use of one the the bi-nocular eyepieces .

2.] My computer is an Apple and the software I downloaded for it is limited . I can't take video shots with it . Having said that , I think I will contact customer service at Amscope again to see if they have a software I can use for video . Downloads are free .

Other than that it works fine . I got it to work on Accutrons and its fine for that . I want to get a Barlow lens to give me more working room under the lens . I particularly like the LED light ring , the fact that it's on a boom so I can pull it in for use as needed , there is a course and fine focus adjustment , and the actual microscope head is very adjustable for heights and angles . 

I got mine new on ebay for $400 from a seller that described it incorrectly and used the wrong pictures from the Amscope website .  I thought I was getting a single boom , but the one that arrived had a double boom and a few more features than described . 

Edited by ricardopalamino

20 hours ago, Don said:

Does simul-focus have to do with the individual eyepieces or the camera port?

I was originally looking for a boom microscope, but I want to save on money and space.

Sent from my XT1064 using Tapatalk

I was told by Amscope that simul-focus allows you to use both eyepieces and the camera port at the same time, otherwise it's either eyepieces or camera and you have to re-focus when you switch.

Cheers!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Douglas,

there was a thread about this some time ago and it led on to me buying my stereo microscope which is especially essential if you work on Accutrons as well as being useful on other watches.

I have a lot of other magnification-devices such as loupes and a visor as my sight is not what it used to be but the Microscope was a luxury that I am pleased I treated myself to.  It is a lower end scope but perfect for what I wanted. 

http://www.watchrepairtalk.com/topic/337-brunels-entry-level-bm1-long-arm-microscope-review/

There are other threads as well but people have chipped in with their thoughts and it gives you a few ideas.  My Brunel mag is up to 75x and there is still enough room to get at the watch. There are attachments available for cameras and measuring but I have not ventured into those spheres.

Cheers,

Vic

Edited by Vich

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Douglas,

I had the same kind of need and I got a Basch and Lomb stereozoom4 on a boomstand off of EBay. This came in at about $150 all told, but you can get then for less if you are not fussy about the stand. The boomstand is very stable and gives me no trouble at all. You need to watch for the shipping charge which can be steep as the stand is heavy.

These come with a zoom of 0.7-3x and with the 10x WF eyepieces gives me variable magnification of 7x to 30x. it also allows about 4" of work height underneath it.

At the same time I also got the 0.5x objective auxiliary lens which, somewhat counter intuitively, makes the magnification less strong, but increases the working height to about 6" this is shown in the photo with a ring light (low cost - off ebay as well)

microscope1.JPG

• Like 2

My eyesight is not the best so for me a stereo microscope is now essential. Having a real close look at the jewels/hairspring operation are the pivots seated correctly etc really helps. I have an olympus scope on my workbench much the same as "waterboy" that I can swing out of the way when not needed.

I think that you can just get an adaptor that takes the place of one of the eyepieces. I've never used one though. in this vintage it would be 23.2mm diameter (I think)which is a standard.

the downside is that you would need to remove one eyepiece to use the camera, but on mine this is trivial.

A quick scan of Amazon shows that they are available at a variety of prices.