Hello All,

I'm wondering what tool is commonly used to manipulate the regulator arm? I've used everything from tweezers to a plastic stick used to help open up computers. My main issue is that all of the things I've used are risky for slippage and I find it incredibly hard to just nudge a little when you're really trying to dial in the timing. I would think there would be a special tool for this (there's a special tool for EVERYTHING), but I haven't managed to find such a tool if it exists. Today I made my own tool using an old broken spring bar tool that I reshaped that should make life a little easier, but I'm very curious to see what everyone else is using.

thank you

Risk of mishap is greatly reduced if the regulator and stud arms can be moved smoothly, I often remove/ clean and make sure both function correctly before disassembly. 

• Like 3

I'll bet you if you take a small screwdriver tip and make a small V in it, it would prevent and possibility in slipping. This will now work for pocket watches of course. Thoughts? Or do the same with a long thin piece of brass so less steel on steel contact.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • 7 months later...

I wrote about such a tool somewhere else in the forum which I called a "regulator arm tool". It can be easily made from an old screwdriver. 

It straddles the regulator arm from the top, so that reduces the chance of slipping and damaging the hairspring. It also gives much better torque control allowing very small adjustments of the arm.20200712_093708.thumb.jpg.84a9ad635fd74e2d673c0b33f3654993.jpg

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
I wrote about such a tool somewhere else in the forum which I called a "regulator arm tool". It can be easily made from an old screwdriver. 
It straddles the regulator arm from the top, so that reduces the chance of slipping and damaging the hairspring. It also gives much better torque control allowing very small adjustments of the arm.http://d1v6dnm22vfd7d.cloudfront.net/monthly_2020_09/20200712_093708.thumb.jpg.84a9ad635fd74e2d673c0b33f3654993.jpg

Great minds:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • 2 weeks later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By BHMarn
      Hello everyone!
      My name is Benjamin Marn, I am a 20 year old college student who has been interested in horology for about 4 years now. I have since aspired to be an independent watchmaker, most likely as a hobby or a side gig but possibly as a full time career, assuming people appreciate the watches I would design and build. More immediately, I have been planning to make my own bespoke, finely finished watchmakers tools, everything from tweezers to mainspring winders, to jeweling and staking tools, as I am fortunate enough to have access to a 1934 South Bend lathe, a 40's LeBlond lathe, a surface grinder, and a Bridgeport mill. Eventually I would like to build my own watchmakers lathe in the style of a Bergeon 50, from my own iron castings (I also have access to a furnace that is hot enough to melt iron), and after that, perhaps even a rose engine.Hopefully, I will build up a collection of tools that exceeds the quality of brands like Horotec and Bergeon at a price of only the raw materials and the time taken in the machine shop, which I enjoy anyway. In the meantime, I have slowly begun to build up my library of books, starting of course with the great George Daniels' Watchmaking, but I am always looking for more books, especially on the theory behind horology and movement design, as right now one of my biggest struggles is grasping the concepts behind gear trains, tooth counts, mathematical ideas, etc etc. I am also a bit of a visual learner, and another thing I struggle with is visualizing the complex diagrams and explanations of the complications in Daniels' book. Perhaps that's why I like Mark's channel so much, I can see things like keyless works in action.
    • By Colditz
      Hi all
      Does anyone know of a video showing the adjustment of a Rolex using the latest micro stella tool?
    • By PaulnKC
      All,
      I am very nearsighted (between -6 and -7 in both eyes). With astigmatism. Now, in my late 50's I also have significant nearsightedness.
      I thought a flip up visor - which I could wear with my glasses would be best. I purchased an OptiVisor with a flip-down loupe. But not happy at all with the visual quality.
      I know you get what you pay for in optics. What is the best type of device for someone with old-bad eyes.
      I have never used a regular loupe - but thinking that may be the way to go. Any of you guys (or gals) have a reccomendation?
      -Paul
    • By rduckwor
      If this is inappropriate, please delete the post.

I have an acquaintance who is closing his shop due to health after 43 years.  He has a large quantity of parts, stems, crowns, crystals and all the paraphernalia one would accumulate after a long period in the business.  He needs to liquidate his shop.  This isn't a "Hey do you have a __ for a __." kind of post.  We're talking serious stuff here.  Mass quantities.   If you need parts, equipment, etc. for your practice, please let me know.  I will pass along his email contact  to you.  Obviously, this is useful primarily only to those in the U.S. due to shipping costs.  But he has a huge amount of useful goods and is 100 miles South of Atlanta.  PM me if you need something.

Thanks,

RMD
    • By BrianG1
      Hi, I have a few bits and pieces, and clocks. And I am very interested in horology tips, conunundrms etc.