Hey guys, 

Been a while, real life got in the way of this hobby for a bit. Been watching the brilliant Alex Hamilton's Its about time Channel https://www.youtube.com/@Its_About_Time. One of the tips he mentioned in his videos is to make these pegging tools for jewel holes. I finally got around to it and now I am so ready to do some proper pegging.

Wishing you all health, happiness and love this holiday, Happy new year!

Stephen 

20221222_172457.JPG

20221222_172108.jpg

20221222_171925.JPG

20221222_171431.JPG

20221222_171342.JPG

20221222_170946.JPG

Which video is it - I'd like to see why he is doing it?

Does he just rotate them in the jewel holes? That is what the part is doing anyway.

The idea of pegging, is to use a soft and slightly absorbent material  (i.e. wood) to clean out the jewel holes. When pressed lightly, the wood moulds itself to the hole shape, and cleans any stuck on grime. The metal tools won't do that. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, mikepilk said:

Which video is it - I'd like to see why he is doing it?

Does he just rotate them in the jewel holes? That is what the part is doing anyway.

The idea of pegging, is to use a soft and slightly absorbent material  (i.e. wood) to clean out the jewel holes. When pressed lightly, the wood moulds itself to the hole shape, and cleans any stuck on grime. The metal tools won't do that. 

That's just the balance jewel hole. I think its' reasonable what he's doing, as it's very hard to peg as it's so small. (I suggest that not many bother to peg this as he balance movement stops it getting too dirty?). I sometimes use a sharpened oiler if it looks like it needs a clean.

BUT, all the other (larger) jewel holes: sharpened pegwood is what you need to clean them !

It's good practice to peg the hole jewels. As I suggested, most don't bother with the balance hole jewels, unless there looks to be hardened crud on them, or there's a problem with amplitude.

The smaller holes are a real hassle to peg. It's hard to get the pegwood sharp enough, then it breaks off in the hole. I use an old sharpened oiler to push the bits out.

The holes that are really essential to peg (thanks to info from nickelsilver) are the pallet arbor jewels. As they aren't lubricated, and tiny bits of dirt can kill the amplitude. Even if I don't peg any other jewels, I always try and do these. 

Happy pegging

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2