Which Watch Have You Got Coming In The Mail ? Show Us !!!

SCOTTY

7 minutes ago, JohnR725 said:

Not working usually means better price. This allows us that can fix watches to pick up things cheaply or hopefully cheaply.

I've no idea where an old Fortis with a Venus 180 are going for, but for $40 I thought it would a nice little project. The movement look pretty undisturbed and I've seen a new balance staff, if that's the problem, for a tenner 😉

Edited by Endeavor
  • Like 1

On 6/2/2023 at 10:28 AM, AndyHull said:

CatorexPWCropped1.jpg.c56765bfd8f04f46b9b224ac2b8fb1b4.jpg

Another little bit of  a gamble. This is a "Catorex" pocket watch. The brand appears to have produced mainly midrange or high quality watches, with a fair few having Unitas UT 6310 or similar quality movements. I have no idea what is in this, but then again, that is reflected in the price. It may be white gold, it may be made of old soup cans. Time will tell.

Neither made from gold, nor baked bean cans, it showed up today and is a very attractive, high quality, very well made,  Peseux 320 based stainless steel cased little watch.

As the "least expensive Catorex on the web", it was certainly worth the gamble. I would guess it is from the sixties or early seventies, as it has a fixed stud, rather than the later moveable one.

I'll post pictured once I have it cleaned and serviced.

CatorexDialSidePeseux320.thumb.jpg.75ae7104b81430fb23c40452ce88b749.jpg

CatorexMechanismPeseux320.thumb.jpg.33a39809d69a1cf3eef19062ced41ca9.jpg

Here are a couple of teasers just in case I forget to post the finished result.

Edited by AndyHull
  • Like 6

On 6/4/2023 at 6:07 PM, HectorLooi said:

You should have held off buying the platform first because the symptoms described might be due to other things. Like insufficient depth of engagement between the contrate wheel and escape wheel pinion.

Broken balance staff pivot, downwards tilted pallet fork jewel failing to lock the escape-wheel, broken pivot on bottom escape wheel pinion and some damage to the tops of the contrite-wheel teeth (which are hopefully repairable).

For the rest; perfect and very nice ! No real wear and I'm the first one in since the clock left the factory 😉

Edited by Endeavor
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Endeavor said:

Broken balance staff pivot, downwards tilted pallet fork jewel failing to lock the escape-wheel, broken pivot on bottom escape wheel pinion and some damage to the tops of the contrite-wheel teeth (which are hopefully repairable).

For the rest; perfect and very nice ! No real wear and I'm the first one in since the clock left the factory 😉

Sounds exactly like mine. Most likely due to the clock falling off the wall hook.

I managed to reshape the teeth of the contrate wheel with the blade of a screwdriver that was reshaped to fit the space between the teeth.

But you can get a replacement wheel from the same seller in Ukraine. 

• Like 1

This is one I've been chasing around eBay for a while. It's so perfectly 70s weird.

Bidding didn't go as high as I expected, so here's hoping it's not a scam! As far as I can tell it looks correct. No pictures of the movement, but the seller seems reputable so I took a chance.

Winging its way across the pond from the UK, so we'll know in a couple weeks.

image.thumb.png.ebb71f5b260e5720f95f7e7c2f28403a.pngimage.thumb.png.5b7b9c0ec095c382f10c504f7229a002.png

• Like 5

2 hours ago, oldhippy said:

Why the hell would anyone want that ugly looking watch. 

Hi OH,  The Spaceman audacieuse is a much sought after piece. Its futuristic designe by Andre Lemarquand resembles a helmet that the spaceman is suppose have on when he visits us. 

They also come in square case, boys, gents and ladies.

Usually an AS 2060 or variant of it beats inside.

Starp are impossible to find, as it is the first part to wear out.

I think I have about fifteen pieces and some parts, movement and case parts.

I agree though its sure is ugly.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, rehajm said:

Oh man, that watch 60s-space-show rocks!! Did you also order the shiny onesie to complete the ensemble, Dr Smith???

Haha Lost in space was one of my favourite Sunday morning re runs in the 80s along with Land of the Giants. 

14 hours ago, ManSkirtBrew said:

This is one I've been chasing around eBay for a while. It's so perfectly 70s weird.

Bidding didn't go as high as I expected, so here's hoping it's not a scam! As far as I can tell it looks correct. No pictures of the movement, but the seller seems reputable so I took a chance.

Winging its way across the pond from the UK, so we'll know in a couple weeks.

image.thumb.png.ebb71f5b260e5720f95f7e7c2f28403a.pngimage.thumb.png.5b7b9c0ec095c382f10c504f7229a002.png

There was a guy on Ebay selling new old stock Tressa Lux versions of the Space for around 100 quid a couple of years ago. 

11 hours ago, Nucejoe said:

Usually an AS 2060 or variant of it beats inside.

Spot on Joe, i found the nos seller not the Tressa version.

Screenshot_20230617-072102_eBay.jpg

20 hours ago, oldhippy said:

Why the hell would anyone want that ugly looking watch. 

Because some of us don't think it's ugly at all and chose to spend money on it? Just guessing here.

19 hours ago, RichardHarris123 said:

Fibreglass back?

Sure is.

17 hours ago, rehajm said:

Did you also order the shiny onesie to complete the ensemble

Turns out I already had one in my closet.

6 hours ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

There was a guy on Ebay selling new old stock Tressa Lux versions of the Space for around 100 quid a couple of years ago

I still see a lot of them around, especially out of Brooklyn, NY. They're mostly the brown dial and strap and not as much fun as this one.

17 hours ago, Nucejoe said:

They also come in square case, boys, gents and ladies

This was the one I originally (and still) wanted, but almost all of them come out of Pakistan and look like exactly the same photos, so I'm hesitant to test my luck there.

Edit: also quite a bit more expensive in general. E.g. image.png.df1c37f6f311b262b50ea568100a41fa.png

Edited by ManSkirtBrew
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, ManSkirtBrew said:

Because some of us don't think it's ugly at all and chose to spend money on it? Just guessing here.

Sure is.

Turns out I already had one in my closet.

I still see a lot of them around, especially out of Brooklyn, NY. They're mostly the brown dial and strap and not as much fun as this one.

This was the one I originally (and still) wanted, but almost all of them come out of Pakistan and look like exactly the same photos, so I'm hesitant to test my luck there.

Edit: also quite a bit more expensive in general. E.g. image.png.df1c37f6f311b262b50ea568100a41fa.png

Some back plate on these are aluminm some SS, either case you want to see the back plates before you buy as some aluminum ones are badly worn. 

• Like 1

Eyup watch peeps. Just arrived in the mail this morning.  A Smiths Astral  Natonal 15 in reasonable condition,this was my focus for buying the job lot. A 70s Sekonda , the others Rone, Sabro,Emka and Mentor. All running but 3 of the dials a bit rough, the Emka looks like someone has used tongs and a hammer to remove the dial so beyond any real improvement. Shame as the movement is a nice FHF. Not 404s but the way inflation is in the UK at the moment they are certainly within our inflation increase of the last 2 year at just under a tenner each.

20230622_104031.jpg

20230622_104015.jpg

20230622_103941.jpg

Edited by Neverenoughwatches
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

Eyup watch peeps. Just arrived in the mail this morning.  A Smiths Astral  Natonal 15 in reasonable condition,this was my focus for buying the job lot. A 70s Sekonda , the others Rone, Sabro,Emka and Mentor. All running but 3 of the dials a bit rough, the Emka looks like someone has used tongs and a hammer to remove the dial so beyond any real improvement. Shame as the movement is a nice FHF. Not 404s but the way inflation is in the UK at the moment they are certainly within our inflation increase of the last 2 year at just under a tenner each.

Come on, @Neverenoughwatches, you know we want photos. 

A couple of pocket watches are on their way.

AsPurchased5-l1600.thumb.jpg.c296760e2beb4df6953a5c4d88007df5.jpg

AsPurchased3-l1600.thumb.jpg.7305fbcb6de58da77e2495a769fe146c.jpg

The first is a cylinder movement, which I would guess is possibly from the 1950s, maybe a little earlier.

AsPurchased1-l1600.thumb.png.d4ae9203c341f066e54d70f027416af4.png

AsPurchased2-l1600.thumb.png.1b51a0716431b92b4448cc522d8cb7cc.png

The second is a Ruhla - East German pin lever, probably from the 1960s.

Both are non runners, but they look to be complete. They both also look filthy and in need of a service, a thorough clean and a crystal.

• Like 2