Which Watch Have You Got Coming In The Mail ? Show Us !!!

SCOTTY

Found in a box of random watch parts.

Hands have some rust but it started right up when I moved it a bit. Not sure how to open the case. Looks like there is no spot to remove the back.

bulova 30jewels.jpg

Edited by broccolini
  • Like 3

The Spaceman has landed, and I have to say it's even better than I expected. If it's a repro band, it's a very good one. White leather on the back, red velour on the front. Very little wear that I can see. Winds, sets, and runs. It's so delightfully ugly.

Looking forward to getting home from work to see what lurks inside!

20230626_142856(1).jpg

20230626_142846(1).jpg

20230626_142840(1).jpg

20230626_142652(1).jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/20/2023 at 7:30 PM, GuyMontag said:

I don't generally buy new watches but found this Mido on sale for a price I couldn't pass up. That dial is just gorgeous.

M040_407_16_040.00_0_front_1_1_png.thumb.jpg.b91f02809d6869ad29decf64345f5077.jpg

Turns out the "price I couldn't pass up" was a scam.  Stay away from 'DC Timezone' on Amazon.

I bought a Mido that was almost 50% off of list price, way less than anywhere else on the net. They had 1 left in stock. After a couple of days the shipping status showed as, "Shipment Received, Package Acceptance Pending". So it looks like USPS has received the package. However, what that status really means is that the shipper is sending multiple packages inside of one large shipment. That way the seller doesn't have to stand around and wait for the clerk to scan 50 packages. Instead, they scan the "manifest", which has the tracking info for all items in that large package.

However, the status of, "Shipment Received, Package Acceptance Pending"  doesn't actually mean that USPS has physically received the item, they only have the shipping information. Which is where the scam comes in, as it sure looks like the package has been received, since you know, it says "received".  USPS explained to me that is a system generated message and that if the manifest had been scanned there would be a scanned message. Which there isn't. Meanwhile the seller has been telling me that he is looking into it and that he initiated a lost package search which could take a few weeks. But that is impossible, as USPS told me, because there is nothing to find, they don't have the package yet. But the seller is counting on you waiting for who knows how long until "looking for the package" excuse falls apart.

So I'm guessing the point of the scam is to hold onto your money for as long as possible. There was one feedback where the buyer who was having the same problem as me said that the seller said they would refund them and then never did, and then another who said they got refunded, and then the seller took the money back after having refunded it. Anyway, file it under, "If it's too good to be true, it probably isn't true".

Edited by GuyMontag
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, GuyMontag said:

I bought a Mido that was almost 50% off of list price, way less than anywhere else on the net. They 1 left in stock. After a couple of days the shipping status showed as, " "Shipment Received, Package Acceptance Pending" ". So it looks like USPS has received the package. However, what that status really means is that the shipper is sending multiple packages inside of one large shipment. That way the seller doesn't have to stand around and wait for the clerk to scan 50 packages. Instead, they scan the "manifest", which has the tracking info for all items in that package.

However, the status of, ""Shipment Received, Package Acceptance Pending"  doesn't actually mean that USPS has physically received the item, they only have the shipping information. Which is where the scam comes in, as it sure looks like the package has been received, since you know, it says "received".  USPS explained to me that is a system generated message and that if the manifest had been scanned there would be a scanned message. Which there isn't. Meanwhile the seller has been telling me that he is looking into it and that he initiated a lost package search which could take a few weeks. But that is impossible, as USPS told me, because there is nothing to find, they don't have the package yet.

So I'm guessing the point of the scam is to hold onto your money for as long as possible. There was one feedback where the buyer who was having the problem as me said that the seller said they would refund them and then never did, and then another who said they got refunded, and then the seller took the back after having refunded it. Anyway, file it under, "If it's too good to be true, it probably isn't true".

Sorry to hear that.  You can try initiating a chargeback with your credit card company.

Amazon is on top of it. They have already told him to issue me a refund. They also said they are going to look into the seller as the feedback is concerning. Which is where the seller has been sneaky. Most of the 1 star feedback has been struck through by Amazon with a message by Amazon of, "The fulfillment issues associated with this order were not due to the seller". Because it's a "shipping issue".  But it isn't a shipping issue. So hopefully Amazon is now on to their shenanigans.

• Like 1

I get this shipment received and delivered messages from eBay all the time. This is when the seller uses eBay's Global Shipping Program. The seller probably sends it to a eBay stateside address and the system generates a "Received" message. Ebay will then repack the item and send it overseas again and generate another tracking number.

Really disturbing but the package eventually arrives. It might be the same if the seller uses a freight forwarder. 

Oh yes, and when the local shipping partner receives the package, another received and delivered message is sent. I've learnt to pray hard and hope for the best 

This ATP is an add-on to another lot at a country auction I won a couple weeks ago. I think it’s the Fontainemelon version but please correct me if I’m wrong. I had no pictures of the movement so it could be a Chinese quartz in need of a battery…dunno…

…the other lot had two watches and a batch of ‘costume jewelry’ but there’s a suspicion from women in my life what know pearls there’s two strands of legit. I keep telling them I’m not that lucky…

IMG_0250.jpeg

Edited by rehajm
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, rehajm said:

This ATP is an add-on to another lot at a country auction I won a couple weeks ago. I think it’s the Fontainemelon version but please correct me if I’m wrong. I had no pictures of the movement so it could be a Chinese quartz in need of a battery…dunno…

…the other lot had two watches and a batch of ‘costume jewelry’ but there’s a suspicion from women in my life what know pearls there’s two strands of legit. I keep telling them I’m not that lucky…

IMG_0250.jpeg

Genuine and non genuine you have a 50/50 chance 🤞  fair condition FHF, its restoration will have great interest . 🙂 (  the smiley is me btw when you post more pictures of it when it arrives )

Welp, right on cue for once...my nephew tried to give me pointers on lighting for macro...apparently it didn't take. Anyways, here you go...sure looks like FHF 150. There's no winding but I can set the hands and the balance wheel is free and jiggly if a bit too ambitious based on the regulator position. Civilian service last left chicken scratch in maybe '55 and '60...

IMG_0252.jpeg

IMG_0253.jpeg

IMG_0251.jpeg

IMG_0254.jpeg

IMG_0255.jpeg

Edited by rehajm
  • Like 1

AsPurchased2-l1600.thumb.jpg.8076c822618e4fb4f056a33cc50c0ba7.jpg

The 404 club recruiter has chased so many Ronda 1223-21 17 Jewel Memocalls, always without success, that I finally admitted defeat and stumped up a little more than the rules allowed (but not much more), for this "slightly chipped" version.
There are quite a few variants of this watch, including some rather nice blue dialled ones, which I'm still keen to pick up.

AsPurchased1-l1600.thumb.jpg.2efcf7eed61163a1312b299ebc0a259c.jpg

Other than the damaged crystal, it looks complete, and in reasonably good (if somewhat grubby) condition.

AsPurchased3-l1600.thumb.jpg.3c41965ad10ab457521b7201e4d87890.jpg

These were not particularly high end, or complex watches, back in the day, but the quirky alarm movement scratches an itch for me.

Next problem will be sourcing a crystal for it. I'll keep you posted on progress when it arrives.

• Like 3

I have this Tissot Antimagnetique Stainless Steel watch winging its way to the UAE. I tried a few Tissots when I was first starting out with poor results, so I am hoping to banish that daemon and end up with a good working Tissot.....🤞

IMG_20230709_123114.thumb.jpg.1b7d75a7fa4b10b2d5f73f17859207e5.jpg

I also have a job lot on the way and each of them will all qualify for the 404 club, so should keep me out of mischief for a while.

IMG_20230709_123749.thumb.jpg.10adb723c5d2529971ab78a0465cf9c1.jpg

• Like 5

On 7/5/2023 at 3:17 PM, GuyMontag said:

Amazon is on top of it. They have already told him to issue me a refund. They also said they are going to look into the seller as the feedback is concerning. Which is where the seller has been sneaky. Most of the 1 star feedback has been struck through by Amazon with a message by Amazon of, "The fulfillment issues associated with this order were not due to the seller". Because it's a "shipping issue".  But it isn't a shipping issue. So hopefully Amazon is now on to their shenanigans.

I guess I'm just a scam magnet. After getting the refund from Amazon I decided to look for another Mido and found a good deal (~ 40% off) for a new watch with papers and warranty on ebay.

MidoGMT.thumb.jpg.2e81c6a745a018d065d65bb82156c309.jpg

I purchased it and the seller said he would try and mail it on the weekend but if not he would post it on Monday. Then Monday I get a message saying that he can't get the payment from ebay and they won't help him so the only way I can get the watch is to have him refund me and then I pay outside of ebay directly to his paypal account. Riiiiiight.

• Sad 1

36 minutes ago, Klassiker said:

I'm confused. How can he have refunded you when eBay never released the money to him?

Probably ebay forced the refund, and now he is trying to get the money by the back door and skedaddle with it.

Pass any further dealings to ebay and let them sort him out.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Klassiker said:

I'm confused. How can he have refunded you when eBay never released the money to him?

ebay dont release the money until after delivery, in fact i think they still hold it for a while after that. Maybe he was under the assumption its paid straight after the sale. Even without getting the payment the seller still has to authorise a refund initially for ebay to return the money, unless it drags on then ebay steps in and takes over.  I had a similar situation with a non working watch i received, the seller wouldnt follow the returns proceedure and wouldnt buy a reurns postage  from ebay or send his own with tracking. It went on for two weeks then ebay automatically refunded because he wouldnt play ball they also said i could keep the watch.

• Like 2

The seller doesn't have a history of selling on ebay, just purchases. So I'm sure ebay put a hold on the money and he either didn't know that or he was in need of the money faster than he would get it from this transaction, so he cancelled and refunded the money. Ebay has a FAQ on reasons for holding money.

If you are a new / returning seller then fund holds may apply:

Funds are usually released about 24 business hours after tracking that you upload to ebay shows delivery to buyer.  The funds are held for 21 days if there is no tracking OR the total sale is $1 thousand or over.  

eBay payment holds
If you're a new seller who hasn't established a selling record yet, we may put payments from your buyers on hold. You'll become an established seller when:

It's been more than 90 days since your first successful sale.
You've had more than 25 transactions and $250 in sales.

We may also hold funds for 21 days if we determine the transaction to be a risk. Category, price, and seller standing can all contribute to this decision. You can identify this by the estimated release date in the sold section of My eBay.

2 hours ago, GuyMontag said:

, so he cancelled

and eBay refunded the money. OK, now I understand.

12 hours ago, AndyHull said:

now he is trying to get the money by the back door and skedaddle with it

2 hours ago, GuyMontag said:

I'm sure ebay put a hold on the money and he either didn't know that or he was in need of the money faster than he would get it from this transaction

Could be either. Attempted scam, or ignorance and frustration with the rules. Either way, best to report it in case he tries it again.

Edited by Klassiker
  • Like 2

AsPurchased2-l1600.thumb.jpg.d05d631577814ba278ba15f33116a5f4.jpg

Not much to go on with this 0.99p gamble. I'm guessing late 1950s, possibly automatic, but the dial doesn't actually say that.

Its a 25 Jewel Swiss movement (probably), but since the seller didn't include any pictures of the movement, it could be a potato in a shiny box.

The Primus branding suggests it might be Ernest Gorgerat / Ernest Gorgerat & Fils / Jean-Raoul Gorgerat / Raoul Gorgerat so it may be a reasonable quality piece, and what little I can see of the thing makes me think it may be gold plated.

Lets see what shows up.

EDIT: My guess is that it is a Felsa 1572 (which would be nice) as I did find a couple of other Primus 25 jewel (non date) automatics that have the Felsa 1560 in them.

Edited by AndyHull
  • Like 3

Third time was the charm. The Powermatic 80 (ETA C07.661) out of the box timing results were impressive; from 0 to -2 in 4 positions, but the beat error was a little odd as it ranged from 0.4 to 1.1ms. After my first day of wearing 24 hours later it was -2 seconds, I'll take that.

20230714_101240-copy.thumb.jpg.75b7e7d6a28812cfd2103bc1e7c3045d.jpg

• Like 5