mainspring

10 minutes ago, berniethebolt said:

is it possible to clean the mainspring in situ if not damaged? i dont have a winder yet!

You do not necessarily need to winder to place back a mainspring into the barrel. If in doubt, leave it alone, it's not something that crucial especially for a beginner.

• Like 2

All mainsprings doesn't matter if its a watch or clock spring should be cleaned. Cleaning will remove dirt, old oil and old grease. If undertaken properly the movement will work much better. You don't need a mainspring winder it can be done by hand, although if its a clock spring I recommend a clock mainspring winder this will prevent distortion of the spring and help the clock to keep good time.  

• Like 1

these new  semi sealed main spring barrels  sound like  a good idea.  if it works,  "leave it alone".  that applys to the older ones also.  unless it;s  rusty or broken;  leave it.  it can be tested - early in the dissembly by removing the balance and fork.   (don't  forget to let down the  main spring tention FIRST).  most new guys don't read the old posts.   vinn

• Like 1

On cleaning mainsprings.

The idea is that the edges of the spring should ride smoothly over the lid and base (roof and floor so to speak) of the barrel, the coils should glide smoothly on their sides as they wind and unwind, and for autos, they should slip when fully wound.

The only wear that you generally come across will be on the lid and base if the barrel. Even the hole where the barrel arbor goes never wears. 

So the idea of cleaning themainspring is good as it allows cleaning and assessment of the barrel inner surface followed by proper lubrication.

Winding in by hand is doable and even with mainspring winders you will come across some combinations where the winders just won't work. Take it slow, face away from the work bench and wear eye protection. You need to wear gloves of finger cots as well, not only for protection but also to protect the freshly cleaned mainspring from contamination.

Good luck!

Anil

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, berniethebolt said:

it is from a seiko 7s26

Seiko barrels are not meant to be opened although it can be done and you can see many references about that. When I tried myself to clean and lubricate one, or even just replace the mainspring, the working of the watch did not improve at all. The proper way is to replace the barrel complete, or if the timegrapher shows acceptable amplitude and pattern, leave it alone. 

• Like 1

you don't need gloves to hand wind a watch main spring unless  you have "acid hands or thin skin".  as a beginer, you need to get the feel of it.  after you become a master - do it blindfolded with leather gloves.  vinn ps always wear  safety glasses for this event