jdm

Have A Laugh Tools

Here's another one. Chinese hand setting knock-off set, not even that cheap.

They did not match any color marked on the box, there is no flat head, and two or three were of the same size. Fortunately that was easy to fix by re-drilling to measure and labeling.

post-1542-0-37541500-1448915588_thumb.jp

Edited by jdm

The description of this spring bar tool makes me laugh.

I think this tool is a waste of time and money.

For sure Mr B.F. does not let business get in the way of opinions!

Edited by jdm

I'm getting good at finding these. Pin vice from the shop that claims to be your uncle's sons.

• Double Ended: Ø0 to Ø1.20mm & Ø1.50mm to Ø2.50mm

Which is not really true, the actual pin sizes with which you're left on your own are 1.50 - 1.70mm.

Inexactness in deficiency :)

I bought this pin remover tool on Aliexpress for $2.35. The idea of a screwed base to adjust to the pin height is good, problem is that at some point it hits. Also, the threaded shaft is lose and wobbles, total width is way exaggerated, and the spare pins are all 0.8mm which can or can't be the right size.

P7263171.JPG

Still I can't complain as the same thing on Amazon is 9 euros or so.

All in all, the plastic $0.64 ones from the same seller are probably better :) 

When you guys are sad or bored, please have a look at Aliexpress.

From a sapphire crystal listing (which In Chinese English are called "sapphirine chips"

Please leave a message of which size you want, or it will be sent randomly

Resurrecting an old thread. Elsewhere I've posted about my bench polisher, which is perfectly executed with insulated wiring, spare motor brushes, and precise concentricity. What I find laughable is  the 12/17mm stamped wrench, supposedly for the chuck arbor - which has a 14mm cut. Better nothing at all!

DSC_0030.JPG

Good topic...

I think mine has to be the first tool I ever bought for the hobby, the ever present on ebay cheap Indian screwdriver set.

Here is me trying to be a serious watch repair person with my loupe in place and my new screwdriver poised above the movement...then the tip falls out into the movement...the horror, the horror...well after I got over the initial shock I started laughing so hard the wife came in to see what was so funny in the world of watch repair.

I am a mechanic by trade and know the value of quality tools. Why I ever bought them is still a mystery to me.

The cheap brass set screw would not stay tight for love nor money and finally stripped out all together. No matter what one did, every time I picked one up the tip would fall out.

I also deal with a lot of Chinese assembly instructions. The good ones are kept in a folder for when I'm feeling down and need a pick me up.:D

Bought these two Chinese G-clamp sets at the chain store, but on different days. Same shelf, same label, same price - not even that cheap. Mediocre quality, but that I can accept. What is surprising is that at one factory, 3" is about 75mm, but at the other only a bit more than 60mm :huh:

DSC_0050.JPG

Edited by jdm

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

• Topics

• I use 3 and 4 jaw chucks, large and small on a "compound lathe".   how does a " bezel - chuck" grab a crystol?  with a 4 jaw,  you invert the jaws and grab the inside so you can cut the outer diameter.   do they make chucks for jewelers lathes?   vin
    • Today, we have a big chunk of 1973 in the form of a Timex Viscount automatic day/date. This repair fought me every step of the way. It arrived with the winder connected to fresh air, and needed a complete strip down to get everything back in order. The day detent spring was misaligned, the date wheel was misaligned, the winder weight was loose, the thing was filthy both inside and out, and even getting the back off initially was problematic. I probably spent a good half hour simply trying to figure out why the day wheel refused to co-operate before I noticed the spring wasn't actually doing anything when the disk was re-fitted, due to the spring being in the wrong orientation. I suspect it got a good hard knock at some stage, which dislodged a bunch of stuff, possibly due to the frustration of the previous owner, as a result of the day wheel not turning. Everything is now all back in order, the hands are correctly aligned, the day and date kick over correctly at midnight. It is ticking away with that characteristic Timex chonk-chonk-chonk and winding nicely. I'm not sure it is going to stay on the hair puller band, I may swap it to something a little more comfortable, as I don't particularly enjoy the bald arm patches look, and my Nordic neanderthal genes mean that my arms are particularly furry. This is what it looked like when it arrived. I'll keep it on for today, and regulate it tomorrow once everything has settled down from the surgery, but it is keeping pretty good time so far. The crystal polished up well, but I still need to give the case back a quick whizz with the polishing pad to get rid of some apprentice marks, probably due to some previous owner's attempts to open the thing.
    • It's, of course, a counterfeit, and not even that well made. Below how a genuine similar one looks like, from Chrono24. As suggested you should open it not just for curiosity but to check if there is water ingress or battery leaking.
    • Hi Gents,   Currently, I try to recondition a 1970 Regency chronograph with a Landeron 248 movement.  Everything is going fine so far. Ordered new mainspring, glass, gasket and pushers as they were a bit stiff. The case itself has been replated as it was also quite worn. I dismantled the whole movement and this is where I have some problem and I would like to ask more experienced members' opinion as I am only a novice. Straight to the issue, I could not remove the 4th wheel. For me, it seems that the bottom of the 4th wheel pivot was formerly broken but still long enough to sit in the 4th wheel bottom jewel hole. In addition, it looks that a small pipe or so was fitted from the bottom plate to the end of the 4th wheel pinion. And this is the reason that I cannot remove it.  Could it have happened as I detailed above or it is a normal thing? Should I remove it anyway and change the whole 4th wheel or the pinion if I can manage to find a replacement. What can be done? what do you suggest? After this, I decided to carry on like that and at the end when I will measure the accuracy, it should show some really bad results in case if there is any affection. And now got to the second issue. So, at the end of the cleaning, I found a small pin in the bottom of the horosolv jar. I managed to find its place. However, I am not quite sure how to fit it again. To be honest, I cannot see its purpose really. From the bottom end, it is underneath the setting lever, and from the top plate also it sticks out hardly any.  Have you got any idea how to solve these problems?   Sorry for the poor quality of the pictures. Hope they help though. Please detail your answers as I am just a beginner. Any help is much appreciated. Gabe   P.S.: Please ignore the notes on some of the images which are not related to my issues. Thanks.    
    • Thanks. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk