I am just wondering what kind of watch would be good for me starting out as a complete beginner and not knowing very much about watches. I having been looking on eBay but not knowing what I'm looking for.

Help would be much appreciated 

I agree. Pocket watches, mechanical alarm clocks and desk clocks are good, as they have nice big components and are less likely to be damaged.

You might also like to look on ebay for the really cheap basket case hand wind watches, or perhaps some second hand Chinese mechanicals.

The big skeleton movement Chinese manuals and automatics come up regularly, and I've picked up a couple of the last few months for less than £4.00 each. Citizen and Seiko manual winds and automatics are another option, but they tend to be slightly more pricey.

Also worth considering are Indian HMTs which are a bit of a favorite of mine can be had for a few quid. The ones with the most hideous repainted dials from India, often go for rock bottom prices.  The HMT manual and HMT automatic watches  are clones of some of the good quality Citizen movements, and they are pretty robust mechanisms to play about with. Quite forgiving, and not much money if you come a cropper while learning on them.  

Edited by AndyHull

Hi Callum   As already mentioned anything you can pick up for a pound or two, preferably time only movements, no day date movements as this adds complications, better to understand the basic movement first then progress as the confidence improves. The criteria being that if you mess up there in no great damage done. We have all been there and done our fair share of cockups!. More to the point gather the best you can afford now and replace with better ones as time goes on. welcome to the world of Horology. 

My advice is to purchase cheap watches sold as "for repair" on eBay. You will learn awful lot trying to bring them back to life and if it all goes wrong you still have them for spares. 

All sound advice and I particularly second Andy, the HMT watches are simple 17 jewel hand wind citizen clones, nicely made and good to work on. (A favourite of mine).

They're plentiful and cheap on eBay, don't forget to trawl car boots and such. They're not as common these days as most watches are cheap quartz junk but occasionally you do find a mechanical fixer upper.

Pocket watches are great starter movements. The bigger the better.

So pocket watches are the the best for starting and learning the basics then progressing up to bigger watches. 

I was also wondering wether you can do custom pocket watches (swapping out the parts to better and more technical parts) 

I picked up a naked Chinese copy of an ETA 6498 pocket watch movement off of eBay for ~$40US.  Followed that up with a Chinese ETA 2824 clone movement for the same price.  Then a genuine Miyota 8215 for ~$30US.

Now I'm sourcing dials, cases, and hands and turning them into functional watches.

9 hours ago, Callum281 said:

So pocket watches are the the best for starting and learning the basics then progressing up to bigger watches. 

Well, progress to SMALLER watches.

The dirty little secret is that mechanical watches are actually NOT all that complex of machines.  What they are is TINY.  A pocket watch movement will be ~50% larger than a wristwatch movement.  So it's easier for a beginner because the parts are larger.

Do the best with having cheap Chinese movements...  They are on eBay or AliExpress...  You can be a professional with these and Mark's videos only for $400... This is my personal cost but I don't think it would be changed so much for anyone... Then you can try on Seiko and Citizen movements like me...  

You can also find cheap chronograph movements on eBay for $120-130 ...

I started by getting a few of these kinds of job lots on eBay and starting a scrap collection. And just have fun with them. I've actually never touched a pocket watch. I jumped in at the deep end. Sometimes you find really cool things in these job lots that you end up wanting to restore. It's addictive!

I actually dove right in, when I first started. My first watch was an 8215, serviced it and adjusted it over and over again LOL....until I got to close to text book on 3 axis. I also have serviced or repaired just about every family members' watch..lol. Then I felt encouraged so much so I bought an ETA 2824-2, dial, hands, crown, stem and case all from German and Swiss sources. Mark's videos helped me along and I built my first from parts. That is now with my dad and he loves it. It is big with high contrast dial and hands. He put away his constellation Rolex (primarily because he can't see it without glasses). The 2824-2 keeps such good time, my dad hardly ever adjusts it. He winds it  and most of the time it winds itself just fine.

I have since built 5 of the above mentioned with different cases, dials, hands, crowns and bands. I am now at a point where I am machining my own dial blanks in my workshop. Working towards finding ways to create my own custom dials with water transfers, laser etching, chemical etching...etc tying to find the best results. Soon I want to try out the Sellita movements, they are cheaper than genuine ETA and from what I hear work just as well.

20190118_215204.jpg

If you want to do wristwatches, keep it simple , no day or date . just the basic three hand movement. All manually wound watches operate on the same principles.So look for ones that are cheap and complete.All stainless steel , screw down back cases are a plus. watches that are advertised as "over wound " are usually good candidates for service. They have generally stopped due to lack of lubrication.As far as movements go AS 1187  or AS/ST 1686 movement watches are cheap , plentiful and robust. As mentioned HMT watches are similar and they come with a sturdy case.Another citizen based watch is the caravelle by bulova  the 11dp movement and the HMT movement are virtual clones but the cases are lousy. Don't buy a watch where the seller does not show you whats inside.  Pay careful attention to the pictures to see that there are no obvious missing parts and pay particular attention to the hairspring. If it looks like a bowl of spaghetti, pass it by.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By bangy55
      I've been a member over a year now and have only made one post. I thought it might be worthwhile to share a text string between my 31 year old daughter Christen who is newly interested in watches, and myself to enlighten newcomers on the evolution of watches. She texted me from work at the County Clerk's office this morning and the following discussion ensued:
      Christen: Hey Dad, check this out:
      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watchmaker_analogy
      I wanna talk about that when we get the chance
      Dad:  Okay
      Christen: listening to David Hume's philosophy
      Dad:  Slow day?
      Christen: Just transferring images into cases. Pretty boring. But I can pay closer attention to the podcast.
      I looked up the watchmaker argument because the Podcaster mentioned that the argument was used during David Hume's time
      Dad:  Ah..
      Christen: I've known about it, but it's the first time I've really dug further than the statement by itself
      Evolution supposedly gave the argument less sway and I don't understand how
      Dad: That's simple. Evolution proved and explained that all living creatures were created by a multitude of incredible accidents accumulating over millions of years. Therefore, the same is true for watches. In ancient times, when the first rudimentary watches crawled out of the sea, they were quite simple. Consisting of nothing more than a circular base with a single vertical staff that cast a shadow on the circular base. While technically "watches," they were blind in the beginning. Having no numbers by which other, still non-existing creatures, could tell the time. As naturally occurring accidents accumulated, numbers began to appear. These numbers too were rudimentary at first and only existed in the form of Roman numerals. While useful to early man, he had yet to invent Roman numerals and therefore, could barely tell time in the beginning. This caused untold confusion, with cavemen and the like suffering frustration due to missed appointments with business associates and grouchy children due to irregular bedtimes.
      Through a process of natural selection, Roman numerals were finally nudged out by the more accurate and therefore more fit and able to survive, balance spring watch. These watches, by virtue of their ability to work even in the dark, eventually made the "solar" style watch practically extinct. It being relegated to English gardens and museum entrances. A mere vestige of its ancient beginnings.
      By the 1970s, a new rock had evolved that became known as "quartz" and it had, through amazing coincidence, affixed itself to the already existing metal watch case. Over time, the quartz "rock" assumed a certain shape allowing it to replace the balance spring as a source of constant vibration. However, without complex wires and coils, and what later became known as a "battery," it remained useless. In time, thanks to the wonder of Evolution, these difficulties were all overcome by inevitable accidents. The sudden appearance of actual working quartz watches nearly wiped out the clumsy and inaccurate by comparison mechanical spring watches from the face of the earth.
      Christen: This is fabulous. Watches and their beginnings should be on the discovery Channel. Very educational
      Fantastic, father!
      Dad: someday.
      Christen: Keep your watch evolution explanation handy. It'll be great to look back on lol
      Dad: Alas, there was found in "man," a rather useless and unnecessary trait known as sentimentality. This trait has no known ability to promote the evolution of the species. In fact, it could be argued that it has slowed its advancement. Nevertheless, it has for the time stalled the inevitable decline and certain demise of the mechanical watch. Weak and inferior men and women the world over are struggling to keep the horribly inaccurate spring watch relevant, even spending hundreds of thousands of dollars for a watch that is less accurate than a $10 quartz watch easily found huddled together at a local Walmart store.
      No sooner did nature introduce the incredibly accurate quartz watch than the even more precise and complicated "Cell-phone" appear. This marvel of evolution displays the time plus many other amazing complications by virtue of a vast network of connectivity worldwide through the air. It has been argued that it could be thought of as a single organism rather than many millions of evolved individual organisms.
      It is yet to be seen if the quartz watch, which has only recently appeared on the long fascinating road that is accidental evolution, will hold the same sentimental value as the mechanical watch. It has been conjectured that due to environmental pressures brought on by the cellphone, that a third species may evolve from the mechanical and quartz watches. In fact, there has been discovered recently, a new species that has been categorized by scientists by the Latin name, Seiko Quartz Spring Drive. This amazing newcomer, while having the inferior balance spring anatomy, has clearly evolved from the quartz species and has internal and external features of both.
      The End.
      Your tax dollars at work, Folks.

• By Joshua
      Hey, so I have a question. I've got an Invicta dive watch with a NH35A movement here that whenever I unthread the stem and crown as it is unthreading the date starts changing. Once its unthreaded I can change it to the 1, 2 and 3 positions and set and wind it accordingly. How can I fix this and what is causing this? 

Yours truly, Josh
    • By fraps8
      I offered to switch out the battery on my friends quartz watch since it had died (the seconds hand was ticking in place) 

I replaced the battery and still nothing. So i thought I'd take out the movement to get a closer look. so I tug on it a little and it pops out, and the watch face  stays in place. Now I have loose hands stuck between glass and the face with no way to get the dial off.

after 2 hours of internet searching I found only 1 post with the same problem. And their solution doesn't help. 

https://www.instructables.com/community/How-to-remove-watch-facedial/

This isn't my watch but It's the exact same problem. There is some sort of retaining ring holding the face from coming out of the back. I cannot pry it out, I've tried. Do I have to remove the crystal? heat? 
      I've got basic repair tools for my Seiko 5, but don't have a crystal press. Is this cheap Chinese watch toast? 

I can give pics of my exact watch if you'd like. 

• By LeAnn
      I honestly just wanted to know how much it would cost me to fix my meylan stopwatch no. 214 if I were to send it to meylan to fix. I feel i should because on the inside the bezel case said to. And if I choose to send it to meylan then do i just send it or can I set up something online because on meylan's website I can't find anything about repairs or my stopwatch in particular. If you can help with some answers I would greatly appreciate it.
    • By ErikH
      Hello all, my name is Erik. I am new to the forum and have just recently become interested in watches. I have been apprenticing under my elderly uncle to learn clock making for the past few years.  I have learned but not mastered enough skills that I can usually make a clock work again. My wife and kids are not amused by the number of clocks running in my house (13 in view as I sit writing this). I have a Seiko 5 I bought new as a gift for myself in 1992 when I was 19. It has been treated poorly, but still ran flawlessly sitting idle for years, then shake and wear for a night. I now have a new interest in watches and started wearing my Seiko daily to find it runs inconsistently. I opened it and adjusted it and couldn't get it right. I bumped the balance adjustment, scratched the case and realized I know nothing about watches!  As I began researching I found myself wanting more watches and wanting to learn how to fix them. I'm hoping to transition some of my clock tools and knowledge to watches. I am hoping to start collecting some specific tools so I can at least do cleaning and basic repair. 
      I look forward to someday having something to contribute to the watch community.