I hope I am not being too much with all of these questions.

This is the second watch I've bought at the flea-market and it supposed to be Seiko (logo on the front looks too fat to me). As I've suspected I am having difficulties opening the back with my cheap Chinese Jaxa, and I am wondering if a Bergeon will do the trick or is it because this watch hasn't been open for a long time in addition to the very shallow grooves it has? Shall I put some Karosin or WD-40 around the case to try to loosen the cover' or any other idea? BTW: it seems like in the past someone tried to pry it with a sharp tool.

Seiko 7123-8610

Thanks for your help.

Seiko_7123_8610_DA.jpg

That back looks really dirty/gummed up I would give it a good soak with a penetrating oil after removing as much as possible of the dirt around the case. I have the luxury of a horotec case opener which would open it with no problem. However you might have to secure the watch in a vice with a cloth to stop scratches & lightly tap it around with an old screwdriver.

• Like 1

Thanks. In fact, this how it looks after a thorough cleaning with soapy water and tooth brush. It looks like my suspicions were right about my cheap Chinese Jaxa tool, so I would ask in addition which shell I buy the Horotec or Bergeon since I don't have any experience at all, this time I would like to make the right decision about a real tool.

I have seen quite a few like that where the tool slots in the back were fake to make it look better made than it is. See if it just pops off. This one does not look genuine either. The case wouldn’t corrode like that if it were SS and the fonts and hands don’t look right.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Gpsluvr said:

I have seen quite a few like that where the tool slots in the back were fake to make it look better made than it is. See if it just pops off. This one does not look genuine either. The case wouldn’t corrode like that if it were SS and the fonts and hands don’t look right.

Actually, I was thinking the same and gave it a light try with my back case opener, and then in second thought I've decided to post my question here before causing any damage.

1 hour ago, clockboy said:

I can not attach a pic at present but although not cheap the horotec is versatile (or you can fit dies for Rolex etc) it is very robust and will shift the tightest of case backs.

Can you write the model number and if it is against the rules (like an ad etc.) can you send it to me in private. Thank you.

The Seiko badge looks like it's melted or a really bad copy.
The 5 badge looks like a sticker.
The caseback doesn't look like any I've seen.
The model 7123-8610 doesn't bring anything up in Google images or on Seiko photo database.

Sent from my NEM-L51 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, ro63rto said:

The Seiko badge looks like it's melted or a really bad copy.
The 5 badge looks like a sticker.
The caseback doesn't look like any I've seen.
The model 7123-8610 doesn't bring anything up in Google images or on Seiko photo database.

Sent from my NEM-L51 using Tapatalk

Many years ago I've mastered Color Separations for the printing industry and I can tell right away that the logo's type is very bad. but hey I wanted something to start taking apart for learning and as you all can tell, I am already learning so much even before opening this case up.

1 hour ago, clockboy said:

It looks like a genuine Seiko to me just very dirty.

This is the tool I was referring too.

59ad7a82839d7_ScreenShot2017-09-04at17_07_26.png.1c0281b56c179d455ac4477dba15a636.png

Many thanks for your efforts. I will probably end up buying it sometime down the road since it's out of my budget now, so for now I'll get a used Bergeon on eBay.

W mate just get nice cheap watch holder like the type you see in those tool kits on the bay, black plastic and like the bottom vice on clock boys hooter opener, lock her in and use your cheap chinese jag opener, ive a cheapie jag aswell, I had to bend all the edges down to tighten it all up as the bits were all over the shop, now it's nice and tight and 200%better than it was to start with.

Having the watch in a vice/watch holder will make opening so much easier, just apply lots of downward pressure aswell as turning force and it will come off, if you are worried about marking the caseback put some masking tape over it tk stop slippage of the tool and scratching ok.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, transporter said:

W mate just get nice cheap watch holder like the type you see in those tool kits on the bay, black plastic and like the bottom vice on clock boys hooter opener, lock her in and use your cheap chinese jag opener, ive a cheapie jag aswell, I had to bend all the edges down to tighten it all up as the bits were all over the shop, now it's nice and tight and 200%better than it was to start with.

Having the watch in a vice/watch holder will make opening so much easier, just apply lots of downward pressure aswell as turning force and it will come off, if you are worried about marking the caseback put some masking tape over it tk stop slippage of the tool and scratching ok.

Thanks for your advice.

Thank you all for your help once again. Here are the results for this fake Seiko watch. I ended up open it with my trusty Leatherman which popped it with no efforts at all. so the whole thing is fake the dials, case-back which read waterproof and the grooves. It has Miyota movement with no model number on it. After replacing the battery it works and keeping times. I've added photo to those who are curious to see it.

Seiko_7123_8610_Miyota.jpg

58 minutes ago, Gpsluvr said:

At least it has a nice workhorse movement. Those are one of the more decent inexpensive movements and can be used in a lot of watches as a replacement if you end up not liking the Feiko.

I don't like it to begin with but have bought it to practice on and ended up learning how to deal with fake watches, which is also part of the deal, just in case I'll have someone comes with a fake watch.