lord elgin case opening

Hi I recently take the 1st and 2nd watch repair course, and i want to service one of my old watches it is a lord elgin self winding, but im not sure how to open the case since it has no holes or anything to pull it out, looks pretty tight, thanks and hope someone can help thanks again

20200616_121338.jpg

20200616_121254.jpg

20200615_112040.jpg

That looks as if it comes out from the front. You need to take the glass off. It will have a two piece stem, you will need something to fit behind the button and pull. I always used a pair of cutters something like these. 

46.032__36786.1477014437.jpg

13 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

That looks as if it comes out from the front. You need to take the glass off. It will have a two piece stem, you will need something to fit behind the button and pull. I always used a pair of cutters something like these. 

Perfect! Thank you so much! Y will try that method

30 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

Yes! It worked thanks again 

20200616_135357.jpg

The other way on that monocoque (one-piece) case is to use a hypodermic syringe in/on the case tube and blow the crystal with air. Mark L. has a good video on dealing with such cases. But if you have a crystal vise, that should work as well to remove the crystal. Not as fun as using the air and getting a satisfying "pop" as the crystal blows off though. One hangup is that I don't think that anyone has come up with a way to replace the crystal using the syringe. You've got to have a crystal vise, or dedicated special wrench to get it back on. It looks like a nice 60's to early seventies watch. :) Good luck.

1 hour ago, MrRoundel said:

The other way on that monocoque (one-piece) case is to use a hypodermic syringe in/on the case tube and blow the crystal with air. Mark L. has a good video on dealing with such cases. But if you have a crystal vise, that should work as well to remove the crystal. Not as fun as using the air and getting a satisfying "pop" as the crystal blows off though. One hangup is that I don't think that anyone has come up with a way to replace the crystal using the syringe. You've got to have a crystal vise, or dedicated special wrench to get it back on. It looks like a nice 60's to early seventies watch. :) Good luck.

Nice! Thanks i just saw the video and try it! thanks, i finally take the movement out its an elgin 884 movement 

• Like 1

That looks to be a movement made by Swiss company A.Schild (AS1673). You can look on Dr. Ranfft's movement database and verify. While the movement could be from the 1950's, the case looks more 60's or later to me, FWIW. Good luck with it.

21 minutes ago, MrRoundel said:

That looks to be a movement made by Swiss company A.Schild (AS1673). You can look on Dr. Ranfft's movement database and verify. While the movement could be from the 1950's, the case looks more 60's or later to me, FWIW. Good luck with it.

I will look for it, here's more pics of the movement, it runs good the only thing i notice that the rotor its a little loose and touch the balance wheel, it doesn't have bearings just a pivot

20200616_164807.jpg

20200617_100343.jpg

20200616_165122.jpg

Yes, I think I can see the AS 1673 stamped onto the pillar plate below the balance. It looks like a nice movement, as Elgin usually put in their Lord Elgin models. It looks like the rotor has started to rub on the case inside, meaning there is some wear on the rotor setup. I understand that there may be a way to tighten some auto-wind rotors up a bit, but I'm not sure of that model. Good luck.