Which Watch Have You Got Coming In The Mail ? Show Us !!!

SCOTTY

Well my Tissots have arrived. I’m at work so I’ll secretly look at them when I get home. I’ll post up some photos later.

The quartz didn’t run with a new battery apparently and that is the one I would like to have ready for Liz for Christmas.

Can’t find line release machines in Australia. Either that or I’m an idiot. 

23 minutes ago, Michael1962 said:

More than likely if it's a vintage quartz it will require servicing. Start a new discussion with your quartz watches with pictures the movement So they can find you servicing information.

23 minutes ago, Michael1962 said:

It doesn't always go by that name if it's what I think it is. It's a Band-Aid fix on a quartz watch. It's like taking a mechanical watch that needs to be serviced removing the balance wheel removing the pallet fork in winding it up's list train spins really fast for a little while and then putting it all back together and it will magically run because now it's clean. Which of course it really isn't and it just buys you some time. In the case of the quartz watch it spins the train hopefully making it to run sometimes it does sometimes it doesn't but it's a Band-Aid fix the watch probably have to service providing there is something else wrong with it.

• Like 1

On 11/24/2023 at 6:34 PM, rehajm said:

How do you get in?

image.thumb.png.5673fa0af553f923dd2738f1533dbfeb.png

Sometimes you just need to be persistent.

image.thumb.png.f0911f3ad1483def641a71cded1698a5.png

And sometimes you need to be very persistent.

Edit: If you were looking for a serious answer, I think the Bulova case splits along the line of the winder, so its probably a front loader.

Edited by AndyHull
  • Haha 3

21 minutes ago, steve1811uk said:

Looking forward to reluming the hands and dial dots

Purely a matter of personal preference here, but if it were mine I think I would leave the lume well alone. Fresh lume in an otherwise nicely aged and patinated watch would look out of place to me.

It's a nice looking watch though.

• Thanks 1

On 12/1/2023 at 11:28 PM, AndyHull said:

Edit: If you were looking for a serious answer, I think the Bulova case splits along the line of the winder, so its probably a front loader.

Sorry, @rehajm! I totally spaced out on replying to you.

Yes, the case is very thin and splits along the winder line. Both of the cases I have are very chewed up on the side opposite the winder because the metal is so thin there.

Here's a shot from the thread I posted on my other Bulova President ("P" model).

20221225_000432.thumb.jpg.58a918ac995645dcc2a3dd6628690294.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Marc said:

Purely a matter of personal preference here, but if it were mine I think I would leave the lume well alone. Fresh lume in an otherwise nicely aged and patinated watch would look out of place to me.

It's a nice looking watch though.

I think I will do something with the hands though as they don't look great

• Like 1

AsPurchased1-l1600Cropped.thumb.jpg.5a25efd7dd7690140c65c0bf0278f529.jpg

One of the many low cost Hong Kong brand Alarm Chronographs.

This one is a little the worse for wear, as the branding has fallen off.
I've included a picture of the missing logo, including the fake speaker grill that they all tended to have.

Assuming I can get it working, I may attempt to replicate the missing logo, or add my own "alternative" branding using my vinyl cutter and some water slide transfers. Mabe a 404 club logo might look good. Any other suggestions?

AsPurchased3-l1600Cropped.jpg.c673d17d61c96c78e8e4c8093b2ae178.jpg

BetterExampleCropped.jpg.2d3be7c12c2c354c93370b9d39a80722.jpg 

• Like 1

AsPurchasedFrontCropped-l1600.thumb.jpg.fb6121ac639340613cf3b43bc1b126e3.jpg

This waffle dialled Ingersoll Sealion is heading for the 404 club. This one has all the hands and wheels, but an unstated number of jewels. One would be my guess.

AsPurchasedRearCropped-l1600.thumb.jpg.e7790a0df52bd830e0879e2851aa9db7.jpg

Almost certainly a pin lever, perhaps a BFG 866, a Ronda 1221-21, or something similar. Despite the dirt, it looks in pretty good cosmetic condition.

Edited by AndyHull
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, AndyHull said:

Despite the dirt, it looks in pretty good cosmetic condition.

Looks like a winner, the dial and hands look in good condition, you could also probably rescue the crystal (I have my crystal technique down pretty tight and I usually do the crystal whilst waiting for the watch cleaning machine to do it's thing - link below). Then there is is the dilemma of the case, go too aggressive and you end up having to re-plate the whole thing (Doh!) or live with some marks. Looking at yours I would probably just hit the case with some Flitz or Autosol metal polish and live with the outcome, will be interesting to see how it turns out 🙂

Edited by Waggy
  • Like 2

AsPurchased5-l1600.thumb.jpg.5fef227bc337470d510ebac7f84dcb54.jpg

AsPurchased2-l1600.thumb.jpg.88f58d7120df1abc82d15e2621b8cb12.jpgAsPurchased9-l1600.thumb.jpg.a0bacd128fa92ac11c2e1b671b54f605.jpg

Another 404 club prospective member is on its way.
This one is an automobile style long stem "pocket watch", with radium lume dial and hands.
The seller claims that it ticks, so that's always a bonus.
It is missing the seconds hand, and the crystal is somewhat yellowed.

AsPurchased8-l1600.thumb.jpg.7496ac66f449feeeb18edc0522ad830e.jpg

There were a couple of enamel dials in the lot too.

• Like 3

On 12/9/2023 at 11:17 AM, AndyHull said:

I've had good results using automotive/car polish (T-Cut) for the final polish on acrylic crystals. It also works well as a soft final polish for metal too. Its relatively inexpensive, and a can lasts a long time. 

Which version of T-cut do you use, I just looked and there are hundreds.

2 minutes ago, Waggy said:

Which version of T-cut do you use, I just looked and there are hundreds.

Try searching for T-Cut Original Car Paint Restorer & Scratch Remover Tin 300ml

Expect to pay around £9 to £10 GBP for a tin in the UK. I got mine in Tesco's supermarket a few years back when it was on a clearance deal at half price.  A little goes a long way.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=T-Cut+Original+Car+Paint+Restorer+%26+Scratch+Remover+Tin+300ml&_sacat=0&_sop=15

• Like 1

AsPurchased3-l1600.thumb.jpg.3c3cea9974cbcfcb5697998b3a29145c.jpg

This 404 club candidate has a pleasing 1950s vibe to it.
A Consul 16(?) Rubis. Incabloc, probably gold plated.

It also claims to be that rarest of all beasts in the modern world, a 100% Swiss watch.

AsPurchased2-l1600.thumb.jpg.48c722434057dbd040c3dea9183a063a.jpg

Consul, based in La Chaux-de-Fonds, seem to have pitched themselves as a quality maker.

They submitted some of their mechanical timepieces ("chronomètres-mécaniques") under the wristwatch category ("chronomètres-bracelet") to the observatory competition in Neuchatel, Switzerland ("Le Concours chronométrique de l`Observatoire de Neuchâtel"), that subsequently passed the stringent tests and became certified as observatory chronometers and therefore received a "Bulletin de Marche" from the observatory, even receiving a "1er prix" in 1958.

This particular example has seen better days, and could certainly use a thorough cleaning, a service and a crystal (and possibly a new crown). The hands also look to need re-luming.

I have no idea what makes it tick, as there were no movement shots. Another "mystery movement" watch. There is a good chance that it has an "in house" re-engineered consul branded AS movement, as a number of the other Consul watches I found online had these. There is even some speculation that they may have supplied Consul engineered movements to Girard-Perregaux. 

Edited by AndyHull
  • Like 2