Which Watch Have You Got Coming In The Mail ? Show Us !!!

SCOTTY

Hi  A line release tool is a handy gadget for kicking abit of life into quartz movements that have sticky oil ar a bit of dirt in the train.  Always as well when changing batteries to check the watch with a pulse tester before inserting a new battery into which may be a dead watch. This is where the line release comes in, by spinning the train and hands to prove the movement is not jammed up.

All the line release tester is , is a transformer which when powered up creates a magnetic field to spin the rotor which is in effect a small motor.

5 minutes ago, watchweasol said:

All the line release tester is , is a transformer which when powered up creates a magnetic field to spin the rotor which is in effect a small motor.

Ah, I think I have seen this on a youtube, fortunately quartz movements is something that I have yet to work on... so can resist buying the tool....for now!

Thanks for the explanation 🙂

• Like 1

image.thumb.png.0fd1b361817dd9ffb2e8300896b52b2f.png
I have this weird little Chinese number that kinda does the same job.

Link to a similar ebay item -> here <- and AliExpress -> here <-

Ebay/AliExpress keyword search "Professional Mechanical Watch Demagnetizer Demagnetizing Tool for Watchmaker"

I bought it out of curiosity as I assumed it had some clever circuitry with coils and transistors to produce an alternating magnetic field, as it is not mains powered.

I was completely wrong. It has a small DC motor attached to a disk with some magnets glued to the disk with their poles N,S,N,S.

The disk spins, the magnets spin, and it demagnetises things. It also spins the mechanisms of quartz watches very nicely.

The build quality is of course terrible and for this reason I can't say it is better than more expensive devices, all I can say is that it does actually, surprisingly, work.

EDIT: A proper line tester will generally be able to pulse the quartz mechanism at 1 pulse per second (and probably at other rates), the above device pulses it at a much higher rate than that and sends the hands whizzing round. This is great for unsticking quarts mechanisms, but not for actually testing their accuracy.

Edited by AndyHull
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Waggy said:

Not sure I know what this is, can you explain? Hopefully not another tool I have to try and resist buying!

Actually quite a handy little gadget for around 25 quid. The best use of it as WW mentions is the pulse test, an audible click that can be heard from it as the chip emits its signal to send an electrical impulse to the coils. The cmos can be tested independently , the one i have can also test for a dead or working quartz crystal. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

Actually quite a handy little gadget for around 25 quid. The best use of it as WW mentions is the pulse test, an audible click that can be heard from it as the chip emits its signal to send an electrical impulse to the coils. The cmos can be tested independently , the one i have can also test for a dead or working quartz crystal. 

Exactly. A proper line tester can check the mechanism, coil and circuitry, whereas the widget I linked to is only really useful for demagnetising, and spinning the mechanism. I use a multimeter to check for the pulse from the circuitry, and to measure coil resistance and continuity from the battery contacts to the circuitry.

Edited by AndyHull

It is a box of electronic whizgidgery that checks things on a quartz watch and is able to rotate the movement so as to clear any possible obstructions.

At least that is what I have been able to find out reading on here and using Dr. Google.

Edited by Michael1962

18 minutes ago, AndyHull said:

Exactly. A proper line tester can check the mechanism, coil and circuitry, whereas the widget I linked to is only really useful for demagnetising, and spinning the mechanism. I use a multimeter to check for the pulse from the circuitry, and to measure coil resistance and continuity from the battery contacts to the circuitry.

The one i use has what the instructions list as a resistor test, elsewhere I've seen it called a quartz crystal test. 2 small ports to plug in the 2 tails of a crystal. What its testing i dont know but most crystals cause the tester to tick but i have found a couple that dont. I did give a working crystal a bit of a hiding with a hammer to see if there was any difference before and after. It was still in one piece but stopped making the tester tick. I can only assume the crystal inside had broken and stopped vibrating. 

39 minutes ago, AndyHull said:

Same here to test the coil and circuit for continuity but attached needles to the probes for a more accurate placement of them. And a cell button wired up to provide a power supply. I wasn't sure what gadget to buy that could take readings and supply power

20231122_110432.jpg

12 hours ago, AndyHull said:

I cannot vouch for the sellers claim that it is actually silver, but lets see what turns up.

The way that case is tarnished, it certainly does look like silver. A quick wipe with a silver polish cloth and I bet it shines. (Not saying how pure the silver will be..)

• Like 1

On 6/17/2023 at 1:36 PM, oldhippy said:

I didn't like that. The part Smith played in this re-make played by a woman. The husbands wife had all the answers to everything. 

Oh, so it was a documentary?! 😉

PESEUX7040Image4.thumb.jpg.2c5a6ec2a864f97bf90244da6b9e9be8.jpg

PESEUX7040Image1.thumb.jpg.74bd18ce77a2008f476829ce55511596.jpg

PESEUX7040Image2.thumb.jpg.35733ac28e93ef51d81b95fadb04ddff.jpg

PESEUX7040Image3.thumb.jpg.74178b27e4eaf39174edefce13c69a52.jpg

I have so many watches to work on and told myself not to get any more until all (or at least most) have been serviced and are running well. Then a voice within told me I needed a regulator dial watch with a Peseux movement. So, waiting for this from a seller in Germany...

Edited by VWatchie
  • Haha 2

My 3 Tissots get here shortly. They are in Melbourne awaiting posting out. The tools I ordered don't get here until December by the looks of things.

Looking forward to this.

Have to get my butt into gear and enrol in Mark's course. Can't do the BHI thing as yet. Life getting in the way a little bit. Hopefully in time.

Sill reading my clock books as well.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Michael1962 said:

They are in Melbourne awaiting posting out.

I have seen a growing number of watches from Australia on ebay, I ordered a few and they were OK, but starting to wonder if Oz was starting to be a new Mumbai-Special location? Anyone have any good bad experiences... am I being paranoid?

13 minutes ago, Waggy said:

I have seen a growing number of watches from Australia on ebay, I ordered a few and they were OK, but starting to wonder if Oz was starting to be a new Mumbai-Special location? Anyone have any good bad experiences... am I being paranoid?

From what I have seen in the few years I have been dabbling in this Scott being paranoid and having a healthy dose of scepticism/cynicism does no harm. Saying that I haven’t heard of Oz being the new Mumbai. Getting parts, tools and training in Oz is very limited as I’m sure @Michael1962 can attest too. The Philippines are probably the next in rank to Mumbai for Frankenstein watches then Eastern Europe.

I just remembered, in the past year I have seen several UK sellers that appear to be buying ‘Mumbai specials and reselling them on eBay as UK origin. Ashamed to admit I got caught out by one of the buggers, luckily I got my money back when I threatened to report them for selling counterfeit goods which is a criminal offence here.

Tom

Edited by tomh207
Expanded comment
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Waggy said:

I’ve noticed more inventory originating from Oz as well- watches, parts, straps. I assumed the vintage trend was strong and they still have lots of old watches stashed away. Based on some of the auctions from US and UK inventory feels kind of picked over 😕

The two watches I purchased from Australia were fine btw a d shipping costs reasonable…

• Thanks 1

Hi I would hazard a guess that Tom is on the right lines regarding the Philippines. They also have a very professional Watch School run by Israel Angeles which is associated with the AWCI in the states. Israel Anglese also makes by hand a very professional testing equipment for watches. His quartz watch analyser ( which I have) is very good, not cheap but good as is his other diagnostic tools.   Look up pinoy watchmaker on the net.

The brand name is Le - Arsi  can also be found under that name via Google.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Michael1962 said:

Have to get my butt into gear and enrol in Mark's course.

I have enrolled on many different online courses  timezonewatchschool.com, learnwatchmaking.com, and, of course, watchfix.com. With the reservation that I haven't gone through all the material, I still have to say that @Mark's courses are the ones I appreciate the most. He is incomparably pedagogical both in terms of the explanation and the video material. It's like a one-man well-made BBC documentary. Truly world-class! No, I don't get any kickbacks from Mark, and I'm not trying to kiss the part of his body where the back ends.

1 hour ago, watchweasol said:

Hi I would hazard a guess that Tom is on the right lines regarding the Philippines. They also have a very professional Watch School run by Israel Angeles which is associated with the AWCI in the states.

I had no idea! I'm on my way to the Philippines in 2024 and will be staying there for about six weeks, so I'll look into that and see if I can visit them. That would be very exciting!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tomh207 said:

From what I have seen in the few years I have been dabbling in this Scott being paranoid and having a healthy dose of scepticism/cynicism does no harm. Saying that I haven’t heard of Oz being the new Mumbai. Getting parts, tools and training in Oz is very limited as I’m sure @Michael1962 can attest too. The Philippines are probably the next in rank to Mumbai for Frankenstein watches then Eastern Europe.

I just remembered, in the past year I have seen several UK sellers that appear to be buying ‘Mumbai specials and reselling them on eBay as UK origin. Ashamed to admit I got caught out by one of the buggers, luckily I got my money back when I threatened to report them for selling counterfeit goods which is a criminal offence here.

Tom

You are quite right Tom. There is not a lot to be had for anything like the prices that I hear people talking about on here. Tools? Another goldmine for the companies that sell things. Check Labanda and you will see what I mean.

I Google things as well and find things and think that I am seeing a great price until I dig further. Sorry we do not ship to Australia. Or freight costs that are more than the purchase price of the item. 
400 day clocks which I like? (Sorry @oldhippy) Quartz examples which I am not interested in. >$100 Non working mechanical ones or ones with flaking paint etc which you just would not be able to match. >$175 mostly.

Courses to learn? Zip.

BHI which entails a mandatory trip or possibly 2 to the UK.

Online via Watchfix which is one course that I have yet to hear a bad thing about.

I stumbled onto 2 clocks that I have. One for $20 which has a lovely movement in it. An Urgos Grandmother clock for $5 which needs some work.

I hear you saying, “There you go. They are out there.” That was it in about 4 years. I have another clock which I bought as I loved the look of it. $185. Apparently serviced and running. Nope. Another common mantle clock that I picked up from Darwin. By the time it got to me with purchase cost and freight? About $180. And that is going to be my learner movement.

Where I live in Geelong, there isn’t even a clock repair company. Watches. Take them to a jeweller and hope they can get someone to service them. I took my Seiko in. Too old. Can’t be repaired. I hopped on the internet and for postage and a reasonable charge, I have the watch that I got from my parents over 45 years ago repaired.

Australia. The lucky country. 
Yeah, right. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Michael1962 said:

Australia. The lucky country

I don’t believe anyone here said lucky, it’s more surprising to see much of anything originating from Australia and some watches are gems. I found two military watches what would have spent 2x to acquire in US or UK in fine serviceable condition…

…acquiring many parts and tools in US can be a fright, too…

Hi V W. From my correspondence with the Gentleman Israel he comes across as a genuine person, if you do make contact he is in Manila and responsible for several tower clocks he has made as well as watch repairs. A man I would like to meet myself but unable to travel these days with my medical baggage.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Michael1962 said:

You are quite right Tom. There is not a lot to be had for anything like the prices that I hear people talking about on here. Tools? Another goldmine for the companies that sell things. Check Labanda and you will see what I mean.

I Google things as well and find things and think that I am seeing a great price until I dig further. Sorry we do not ship to Australia. Or freight costs that are more than the purchase price of the item. 
400 day clocks which I like? (Sorry @oldhippy) Quartz examples which I am not interested in. >$100 Non working mechanical ones or ones with flaking paint etc which you just would not be able to match. >$175 mostly.

Courses to learn? Zip.

BHI which entails a mandatory trip or possibly 2 to the UK.

Online via Watchfix which is one course that I have yet to hear a bad thing about.

I stumbled onto 2 clocks that I have. One for $20 which has a lovely movement in it. An Urgos Grandmother clock for $5 which needs some work.

I hear you saying, “There you go. They are out there.” That was it in about 4 years. I have another clock which I bought as I loved the look of it. $185. Apparently serviced and running. Nope. Another common mantle clock that I picked up from Darwin. By the time it got to me with purchase cost and freight? About $180. And that is going to be my learner movement.

Where I live in Geelong, there isn’t even a clock repair company. Watches. Take them to a jeweller and hope they can get someone to service them. I took my Seiko in. Too old. Can’t be repaired. I hopped on the internet and for postage and a reasonable charge, I have the watch that I got from my parents over 45 years ago repaired.

Australia. The lucky country. 
Yeah, right. 

Both my daughters and my as of last week or so 7 grandkids are all in Oz, Gippsland and Brisbane. If I can help get you stuff in the UK and ship just shout out.

Tom

• Like 1

So maybe the Tissots won’t get here today. According to the tracking, the parcel first came to Sydney from the UK. Cool.

Then Sydney to Melbourne. Cool.

Then logically, one would expect the last 90kms to Geelong.

Nope. Parcel has now gone to Brisbane for some odd reason.

These watches will have travelled more of the world than I have by the time they get here. 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, Michael1962 said:

So maybe the Tissots won’t get here today. According to the tracking, the parcel first came to Sydney from the UK. Cool.

Then Sydney to Melbourne. Cool.

Then logically, one would expect the last 90kms to Geelong.

Nope. Parcel has now gone to Brisbane for some odd reason.

These watches will have travelled more of the world than I have by the time they get here. 

I ordered something for one of my daughters when they both lived in Melbourne from a Melbourne distributor. For some reason Oz post routed it Melbourne > Adelaide > Melbourne 😂

Tom

• Haha 1