Which Watch Have You Got Coming In The Mail ? Show Us !!!

SCOTTY

I haven't got this coming, but I thought I would ask if anyone can tell me anything about them? They are asking $85AUD for it. I quite like it, but it is not running. I have ZERO idea whether I could get parts for it if need be. I quite like the way it looks. I am a bit concerned about the back of the lug in one photo from the website.

https://www.etsy.com/au/listing/1571877241/buler-vintage-mechanical-watch-not?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=antique+clocks+not+working&ref=sr_gallery-3-24&pro=1&frs=1&organic_search_click=1

I don't know how you guys find watches for the 4.04 club? is that 4.04GBP?

image.thumb.png.1f3334e0992734ee1b119e795977d745.png

• Like 1

An interesting dial indeed. I like it. 
Looks like the balance is all there, but it will require a little bit of delicate work with the adjuster and the hairspring to get it to run.
As to spare parts, I suspect there is a pretty reasonable chance of finding a parts movement on ebay.

28 minutes ago, Michael1962 said:

I don't know how you guys find watches for the 4.04 club? is that 4.04GBP?

Yes. 4.04 GBP not including postage, and the postage needs to be reasonable.
The majority of my finds come from the dregs of ebay. Sometimes there are quite a few around, other times the well runs dry. You just need to keep checking.

AsPurchased1-l1600.thumb.jpg.2725c57e5dc6f75287c502eadae1b6dc.jpg

Another Molnija (Молния) USSR pocket watch.

AsPurchasedRear1-l1600.thumb.jpg.2f4ee1844dd35e23b601db72ecdfa4d8.jpg

I seem to be on a winning streak with Molnja having not seen any decent examples at anywhere near the 404 club membership standard for a very long time.

Just in the last few weeks I've managed to find a couple of interesting examples.

This one is an 18 jewel version with original chain, box and Sekonda guarantee. 

image.thumb.png.5b72de57ce63d585171ab66da29dc7aa.png

There were no pictures of the movement in the listing but here is a similar 15 jewel example.

image.png.070c66771335fc69c04fc698124c3d2b.png

.. and its 18 jewel cousin. As you can see, some of them are quite nicely finished.

If you want to know a little about the pedigree of the movement, you could do worse than to read this article -> http://cgi.linuxfocus.org/~guido/molnija-pocket-watch/

This was just a few pence beyond the 404 club rules, but given that it came in such good original condition, I think it may just qualify for an honorary membership.

Edited by AndyHull
  • Like 1

This trio.

image.thumb.png.4d7e290a321b956c2e6589007e83b361.png

Regarding my post above on the Buler, what are the two buttons on the LHS of the case for? I have had a look at the photo of the movement, am I correct in thinking that it is a Baumgartner movement?

Also, do the buttons on the LHS of the case both serve to move the lever to brake and release the balance? Am I correct in using the term 'hack' so the the time may be adjusted?

Edited by Michael1962
  • Like 1

I think it's a sort of chronograph, but not with constant running time. The clue is the word "stop" on the dial,and if you look at the movement you can see the hack lever that stops the balance wheel.

If you leave it running it works as a watch to tell the time but the pushers allow you to stop and start it for timing purposes.

These have always puzzled me because it means that you have to find a reliable time reference to reset your watch once you have finished using it as a stop watch.

• Like 1

Hi,

I agree with what you have said. I presume when it is being used as a stopwatch, the hands would be moved to the 12 each time and timing done from there.

I'm trying to work out what the different scale rings would be for?

Not that it really matters as I won't buy it. I'm going to get enough grief over the Tissots.

Well based on the way today has gone because I haven't purchased a new free standing oven for the lovely wife as quickly as I got a new car, I can only imagine how things are going to go when Liz has a look at our accounts, as she does, and then a package arrives from the UK. Which is probably going to get here just before my tools order from the US.

If all of a sudden, I go offline in the middle of a post, I am probably sitting on my lounge with an axe in my head.

I love her, but crikey today has been hard work.

• Haha 1

On 11/11/2023 at 6:05 PM, Michael1962 said:

I'm trying to work out what the different scale rings would be for?

The blue "snail track" is just the typical tachymeter scale but rather than ending at 60 units per minute after one full second hand revolution (as you would see on a Speedmaster) it keeps going to allow slower processes (or speeds) to be measured over multiple minutes of tracking.  

The red track is a telemeter scale, used to judge distance by measuring the difference between when a visible action occurs (such as a lightning bolt or a cannon being touched off) and the time it takes the sound to reach the observer.

I think a dial like this and the balance stop mechanism was meant to fancy up the watch and invoke an old-timey vintage feel to what is not a high-quality movement and may have been sold as a "junior" watch. However, since I've found more than once that the only watch that starts ticking when I look over a newly-acquired lot of movements was a pin-pallet Timex or dollar pocket watch, I'm not going to cast any aspersions!

• Like 2

I got this guy on the way. This is the second 6309-7040 I'll have restored, I got some practise with the one I'm wearing now. 

Will be replacing the bezel+insert, dial, and hands to give it a birthday, but will keep all the original parts with it for posterity. I'll be looking to upgrade it with barrel arbor jewels too, I've got a couple spare mainplates/bridges in case I screw it up though.

image.thumb.png.e3b03400e9ca1a5be2d92f9e531f39fd.png

• Like 2

5 hours ago, lexacat said:

Will be replacing the bezel+insert, dial, and hands to give it a birthday, but will keep all the original parts with it for posterity. I'll be looking to upgrade it with barrel arbor jewels too, I've got a couple spare mainplates/bridges in case I screw it up though.

Looks like you are giving it an awesome upgrade, will you use another black bezel or pepsi? Will be interested to see how the barrel jewel upgrade goes, never done this myself, but its on my to-do list.

I have one of these waiting for a not broken date ring. I have already purchased two replacements but the first one had the incorrect tooth alignment- apparently there are different discs for crown at 3 or 4 o’clock. I had the wrong one. Lesson learned, I carefully selected the second one…and it has the incorrect tooth alignment 🤕.

…I could buy a donor watch what is more than the Turtle. A Turtle is a hole where I throw unwanted money.

4 hours ago, Waggy said:

Looks like you are giving it an awesome upgrade, will you use another black bezel or pepsi? Will be interested to see how the barrel jewel upgrade goes, never done this myself, but its on my to-do list.

Honestly, I went through the pepsi phase but this particular reference to me only looks good with the black bezel insert. I've got spare bezels and a couple pepsi's that fit, so I might mix and match, but yeah.. the black is just class.

I've never done a jewel upgrade either! Waiting on the seitz tool to turn up and praying it has the reamer spindle. If not, it'll be a bit more waiting until I can order one. I got my horia clone today through, so might take a crack at the barrel bridge bearing.

34 minutes ago, rehajm said:

I have one of these waiting for a not broken date ring. I have already purchased two replacements but the first one had the incorrect tooth alignment- apparently there are different discs for crown at 3 or 4 o’clock. I had the wrong one. Lesson learned, I carefully selected the second one…and it has the incorrect tooth alignment 🤕.

…I could buy a donor watch what is more than the Turtle. A Turtle is a hole where I throw unwanted money.

Ugh! Which do you need, I'm assuming the 3.8.. I think I have a spare if you want it. Let me know and I can send pics.

AsPurchasedCropped1.thumb.jpg.7ea9af81fa4b94167d28295a4c67ef73.jpg

Yet more low cost USSR madness. This time in the form of a Seconda 15 jewel - Zlatoust Watch Factory (ЗЧЗ) - stopwatch.

Rather surprisingly this came in within the 404 club rules too, since I was the only bidder.

There are no pictures of the movement, but it is possibly a Zlaust 4282 or a Zlaust 4282(new)

The seller claims it runs, but the reset is a little temperamental. It almost certainly needs a service, and probably has never been serviced.

I would guestimate it is from the late fifties or early sixties, however they continued to produce these into the 1980s.

The Zlatoust watch factory still produces mechanical watch and stopwatches  to this day.

Edited by AndyHull
  • Like 2

AsPurchased1-l1600.thumb.jpg.6523b1008dbca673cca9c0667bcf9695.jpg

A slightly scruffy Plaza Geneve 21 Rubis "shockprotected" caught my eye in the bargain bins on fleabay.

This has a distinctly 1950s early 1960s  vibe to it. I'm also a bit of a fan of this size of watch, as to my mind it has much more refined engineering and design aesthetics than the over sized frying pans and so called "smart" watches of today.

The listing pictures showed the second hand moving between images, so it kinda works I presume.
The case and strap are filthy, and the hands probably need a bit of work, but it has an elegance about it, and a gentle patina on the dial, so with a little work I think it will look pretty good.

I have no idea what is in this 404 club candidate, but if the only other similar example I could find is anything to go by, then the movement looks to be well finished.

SimilarExampleMechCropped.jpg.6af1ee669a9118ca1f22cbf8874c47b9.jpg

This might be what awaits me inside.

EDIT: I looked for a maker on www.mikrolisk.de and it seems it may be from some time around 1962

image.png.c64b0a84dbad507ab93c49fd62dfe67f.png

Edited by AndyHull
  • Like 1

On 11/13/2023 at 10:16 PM, rehajm said:

My movement is the 6309a if that matters…

IMG_1002.thumb.jpeg.d2382eee62e437ce4b8c553f00cebb77.jpeg

I just checked and thought I had 2 spares, but actually only have 1. If the watch I've ordered doesn't need a replacement I'll see about getting my spare to you.

It's arrived! Along with the bits and pieces I bought for a refurb. 

IMG_20231120_153734.thumb.jpg.972d91c0a4017027968b1add166aeef6.jpg

Here it is next to the last one I did, which is my daily driver. It's actually keeping decent time from the looks, although I'll still do a complete service, but good to know it doesn't look like there are any immediate issues.

IMG_20231120_172256.thumb.jpg.c5ca25238080ccfa77db7babc21ad1d8.jpg

The rubber strap is absolutely awful to wear, incredibly stiff. The case looks to have been polished, I think it should be more matte, but it's in okay condition. The rotating bezel is a bit loose, will be interesting to see what's under it. Also keen to see if that dial is original or aftermarket. It's pretty old and whilst it doesn't look like it has reference numbers I can tell they used to be there, and the Suwa Seikosha logo looks correct.. At any rate, that dial is going to be replaced, but it will stay with the watch along with the old hands and bezel for posterity. 

• Like 2

AsPurchased2-l1600.thumb.jpg.2366e4eec36f75664b53659fe32662dc.jpg

More pocket money madness. One "silver" ladies pocket watch and a small cylinder movement and dial.

AsPurchased1-l1600.thumb.jpg.efb6c0102b233d15f314373e022fd885.jpg

I cannot vouch for the sellers claim that it is actually silver, but lets see what turns up. Even if it is silver, I suspect the dirt in and on it probably weighs as much as the silver does.

Needless to say it didn't cost much, well within the 404 club rules, and if I can fix it up it should look very elegant, silver or otherwise.

I'm not sure if the cylinder movement can be saved, that balance looks a little trashed.

According to a message that I just got from eBay, my three Tissots are nearly here. Initially it was the 1st December.

A question I do have for people are recommendations for a line release tool. I went googling after reading it on here and found quite a few different ones, so I thought I would ask.