How can I reattach the hairspring to the stud?

On 3/13/2019 at 12:42 PM, Colditz said:

just wanted to thank you guys for this post. I have exactly the same problem on a Seiko movement. I think  the cleaning fluid removed / degraded the fixing. I now have to reposition the hair spring to the stud. What is your opinion on using superglue? I think I will use Devcon epoxy 60 min.

I leave the option to remove open, I use a type of glue that can be removed, should there be a need to do so. Epoxy is suitable.

• Like 1

Hi Nucejoe

It worked a treat. Could not video though as the microscope was too near and obstructed my progress. I will take a still picture when I can move the balance and post it here. Once again many thanks for the tips. Brilliant!

• Thanks 1

On 3/19/2019 at 8:01 PM, Colditz said:

As an aside guys, nothing to do with the Seiko.

I need a balance staff for a Lancashire Watch Co Prescott pocket watch number 719184.

Does anyone know where I can obtain one from or the balance complete?

IMG_5109.JPG

Have you tried  Balancestaffs.com ?

22 hours ago, Nucejoe said:

Hi . Getting what you see, kinda eases the bending at the end length of breguet HS.

www.balancestaffs.com  lists only one staff for lancashire, a 16s , is it what you want?

Hi Nucejo

I have looked the measurements and they seem about right. I will double check before ordering

Many thanks for the link.

:)

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Colditz said:

Hi Nucejoe

It worked a treat. Could not video though as the microscope was too near and obstructed my progress. I will take a still picture when I can move the balance and post it here. Once again many thanks for the tips. Brilliant!

Glad to hear the good news though, as quick as you absorbed the idea, excellent results was a certainty to come..

• 1 month later...

I was watching a youtube video on the co axial escapment on Omega's channel. In it there's a snippet of the balance complete assembly process. It goes like this: stud is mounted in stud holder, balance with hairspring is seated in bridge, end of hairspring is slotted into stud, a heating element is brought to contact with stud, a flake of something is dropped into the slot, the something liquefies instantly. By the looks of it I would say they use shellac.

On 3/19/2019 at 1:56 PM, Colditz said:

What is denatured alcohol?

I am using Elma Suprol Rinse. Is this good or bad and is there anything better?

In the UK that's methylated spirit, typically purple coloured, used in spirit lamps as it's clean burning.

• 4 months later...
On 5/19/2017 at 7:15 AM, Mark said:

This particular one is not possible to pin unfortunately. The best remedy is to clean out the old adhesive and apply new. I would use a slower drying epoxy (very very small amount applied using a clock oiler for example). Apply when the glue is tacky enough to hold the spring in place so you can test if it is correctly positioned. Once you are convinced of its correct position along the length of the end of the spring then leave it to set.

Do this with the stud re-attached to the index but the hairspring not attached to the balance staff so that you can check the position of the hairspring collet being directly over the pivot hole. This will make it easier for you to observe that the spring is straight and true on the stud.

You should use shellac flake and apply heat using an old flat oiler

1 hour ago, Pen said:

You should use shellac flake and apply heat using an old flat oiler

I am not sure to who you were suggesting that, but if it's our Host Mark Lovick, he is an accomplished watchmaker, author of some hundred excellent YouTube videos, and producer of a complete HD video training. I suggest that you give these a look for a chance of learning one thing or five. 

• Similar Content