Hi All,

I'm relatively new to watchmaking. Having serviced a few watches already, but I so far dodged more involved repairs. I was working on a nice Vostok watch. I have disassembled, cleaned, reassembled and lubricated the movement. One of the last steps were to reseat the balance complete. The balance didn't want to move freely so I had to take out and put it back a few times. I could have been too hard with the part or maybe the hairspring wasn't connected well enough. All in all, the hairspring got disconnected from the balance cock. My main problem now is that I don't recognize the substance/adhesive that the hairspring was connected with originally. It's a relatively tidy job so I think it was done in the factory but it's not shellac. I don't know if this can be warmed up so I can offer back the hairspring or should it be removed and replaced with an equivalent adhesive substance. The hairspring is OK as far as I can tell. Please kindly help me formulate a repair plan for this part.

I would like to repair this part myself. I can easily source a replacement balance complete but I would like to learn how to deal with this.

And now the pictures.

image.thumb.png.fc000c866666db64206ec5bf2513f336.png

image.thumb.png.455692a86a3fa1721704ea98abd8650f.png

image.thumb.png.0da9374dd6087dcb9770c4e9bd4a4475.png

image.thumb.png.1ef763ea97084dc30d5a502a58166b1d.png

image.thumb.png.236c5c63a74b4d8b5d5fa41d29caf59f.png

The substance is 'hot glue' which is used in 'hot glue gun' and comes in long sticks 8 or 10mm in diam. But it is needed only to heat the studd and put hte end of the spring in the gap with the melted glue. Use soldering iron with sharp point to do the job. Don't touch the glue with the iron, but heat the stud from the other side of it.

But... You spring is deformed - it is not in plane. It is streched as a funnel. I guess You have detouched it from the balance and tryed to stretch it in the reverse direction in order to restore it, and You have 'overdone' it. Now it is stretched again but in the oposite direction, which is as bad as it was in the beginning. The spring MUST be in ONE PLANE so no coil touches anything and no other coil.

• Like 1

Hairspring may cone/ funnel due to either  magnetism or physical deformation , if you just let the balance hang under its own weight, the coil might just return back to the flat it was, some times coning is due to magnetism, in which case let it hang then demag. 

As for the substance in the stud , soak in acetone to disolve it, clean and reshellac or use epoxy 5 glue, ladies nail colour works fine as well.

Just make sure you don't over glue/ shellac  as the extra glue may migrate to the coil, causing problem.

Good luck 

• Like 1