Where would one even start with this mess? 😵 Trying to put the balance in after cleaning everything, one small slip, and in less than a second: disaster.

Comes from not having 100% focus at the end of a day I guess. "No Excuse Sir!"

IMG_3479.JPG

IMG_3481.JPG

• Sad 1

Not a total disaster.  The pivot looks okay.  I'm guessing the other pivot is also intact, and hopefully so is the roller jewel. It could have been worse.  Making mistakes are a way we gain experience. 

Bulovas are easy enough to get parts for.  You may be able to get hold of just the hairspring.  I do not personally have any 6-series parts movements, but someone here may speak up soon about that.

Been there. Worn that Tshirt. Even recently. Horrible sinking feeling. I'm at the stage, after two years I may add, that I would probably look for a new balance complete. However, as a practice project, I would now try to repair the spring myself. did wo recently. I can now follow Mark's video of repair of the hairspring and actually achieve the correct end result. Test on installation wasn't good. But after the third time I certainly matched what it was before I 'cachinged' it across the table. 

Hope you get your problem sorted

Edited by rossjackson01
Spelling, Grammar, more information

10 hours ago, TKM3RD said:

Where would one even start with this mess? 😵 Trying to put the balance in after cleaning everything, one small slip, and in less than a second: disaster.

Comes from not having 100% focus at the end of a day I guess. "No Excuse Sir!"

IMG_3479.JPG

IMG_3481.JPG

Difficult to tell without looking directly downwards, but i can't hoestly see any kinks or bends in your spring that would cause this. Are you sure its not just sticky or a coil overlap ? Pull it out with the stud and see what happens.

Edited by Neverenoughwatches

55 minutes ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

but i can't hoestly see any kinks or bends in your spring that would cause this. Are you sure its not just sticky or a coil overlap ?

one of things you want to do with hairspring is is to as others have mentioned take it very very slow. I was looking at it and I'm not seeing any Ben's some wondering if you're just overlapping coils?

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/31/2024 at 7:07 PM, rossjackson01 said:

Been there. Worn that Tshirt. Even recently. Horrible sinking feeling. I'm at the stage, after two years I may add, that I would probably look for a new balance complete. However, as a practice project, I would now try to repair the spring myself. did wo recently. I can now follow Mark's video of repair of the hairspring and actually achieve the correct end result. Test on installation wasn't good. But after the third time I certainly matched what it was before I 'cachinged' it across the table. 

Hope you get your problem sorted

Thank you very much for the support. I've been at the hobby for about 18 months, and have only worked on a few non-junk movements: I should have waited for the skill to increase!

• Like 1

Don't worry. There are ups and downs. Many more ups than downs. 4 steps forward, 1 back. The back allows more practice. 

Non-junk? Been there. They are still junk because they were junk to begin with. We, at our stage cannot repair what is broken, only way we think, is to get a donor movement. More junk, just some spares because you don't know if all is correct. I've learned the hard way. I don't by movements now. I might do when I try high end. I stick to two main watches. Sekonda and Seiko. My choice.

What do I do? I buy a cheap running watch. Disassemble, then reassemble. Is it better? If not, then I look at my system. 

I can now do most things on getting a watch to work again. They always work now. However I have to practice to get them better. Been on one of the downs recently. Bugged beyond belief. You won't believe the amount of support I've had from the members. Beginning on one of the ups now. 

One thing I do notice is that as a result of  learning I can assess many of the YouTubes in their efforts. Some are absolute brilliant. They like to display and explain their methods. These I try to emulate. 

Others, usually, "I started last week and I'm servicing this watch". Rubbish! They show skill with tweezers of at least 2 years. Many have terrible handling skill of movements and application of tools. I use these to learn about a particular movement.

I am completing level 3 of Mark's course. I am now able to understand and emulate much of his teaching. 

On an extra note.

It's nice for other members when we give an update. Proves we listen, and they do give good advice.

Regards from across the pond

Ross

Edited by rossjackson01
  • Like 1