Question

8 answers to this question

Did you fully wind it or was it already fully wound? If it was already then it could be the mainspring, or it could be the balance staff, or both. Not to mention many other potential Robles’s but those are the usual suspects. I suggest you remove the movement and start making your checks.

Its possible if it isn't old/gunked up with grease that you could get it going again by gently tapping the balance wheel with a needle or fine toothpick. If it feels blocked, don't push it. If that is the case it will need a disassembly and clean.

Ocassionally things jam up even in well serviced watches, so it could be that it just needs a 'kick'.
It is more likely that it is old and needs a service.

If the watch will run at all, even for a few seconds it will usually  respond  to cleaning. Most likely  as previously  mentioned  it is dirt and fossilized lubricant. Of course  there could  be a mechanical  failure  as well. But this is less likely. 

On 2/13/2020 at 10:49 PM, mineglobus03 said:

Hi everyone, I have some problems with a manual winding watch. It needs some work but I would try to do it myself. The watch appears fully wound but it doesn't work. Which is the problem? Thank you in advance

Alessandro

It probably needs a service. I.e., take the movement of of the case, dip it up and down in a bowl of naphtha, dry it with a hair blower, take some oil (use olive oil if that's all you have) and put some here and there. Place the movement back in the case and you're done.

Seriously, it can be very hard to tell what the problem is. If you want it to work, work well and DIY, I recommend watchrepairlessons.com. However, be warned, watch repairing is extremely addictive!

Good luck!

Looks like the OP,  just like most others one-posting new members, has moved on with other things in his life and won't bother providing updates.

Everyone deserves respect but the statistically only a minority of the people showing up here have the focus, time and (small) funds needed to go from a casual curiosity to an hobby or learning path.

I definitely agree, everyone deserves respect. My post was just an attempt, perhaps a clumsy attempt, to be a bit funny. It’s interesting to see how the human mind see’s no or little complexity in the fields it has no knowledge. Perhaps a good thing or we would be too intimidated to start any new endeavors .

On 3/22/2020 at 3:06 PM, jdm said:

Looks like the OP,  just like most others one-posting new members, has moved on with other things in his life and won't bother providing updates.

Everyone deserves respect but the statistically only a minority of the people showing up here have the focus, time and (small) funds needed to go from a casual curiosity to an hobby or learning path.

yes its a shame when it happens, I'm not on here as much i would like to be as my work takes me away etc etc, although from a humble and small curiosity in horology I'm now neck deep in parts, tools, website addresses and a couple of lathes, not to mention a few clocks, which by the way the wife would like rid of but I'm keeping.

As for the OP question I'm saying its in need of a good service, so apart it comes I'm afraid. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Gustavo
      Greetings Guys from Puerto Rico: 
      I'm new to the forum and also to the watch community,  
      I love watches since childhood but now I am introducing to this all new repair aspect of it. 
      I am on need for help since I have been reserching about 2 months ago from this particular caliber (7606A/42 799 RO) and with not sucess of find anything about it. 
      The 7606A its in the balance cock printed and on the dial its marked as a 42 799 RO. 
      If any one out there on the community has any information or the repair manual of it would be very helpful to me since a have a complete watch but in pieces. Just looking down as my first project ot get it back running if its possible. 

Thanks, 

Gustavo A. 
    • By FitOutPost
      Hi, my name is Ross. I am a rookie watch enthusiast and I am really puzzled here.
      Could someone explain to me what kind of a problem am I facing with my timegrapher?
      I do two sets of measurements with the same watch (1 day or 6 days apart) and receive vastly different results - to the point of being completely different from what I observe in real life. 
      For example, my timegrapher shows that my watch is running fast (or ahead of time), while in real life I observe that it runs 7 seconds per day behind. I even recorded a video about it so you could see it for yourself: https://youtu.be/mhGzf6aLMlY
      How should I interpret that? Am I doing anything wrong?

Problem_with_Timegrapher_-_Knowledge_Sharing__16.mp4
    • By canthus
      I work a lot on small caliber (ladies watch size) movements but still have mishaps with the balance hairspring.  These hairsprings are very fragile and easily bent and removing/replacing the balance assembly seems to be my problem.  I would like any comments on the risks of deforming the hairspring by allowing the wheel to dangle during handling.  I would also like to know if the position of the regulator arm/pins has any effect re risk of deforming the spring, should it be close to the stud or as far a possible from the stud, I normally leave it where I find it so the timing is close to what it was before dis-assembly.  Any advice on techniques etc will be much appreciated.
    • By Cont3mplation
      Hi all. I'm absolutely brand new to the world of mechanical watches, but have always been fascinated by the way they functioned. So, I took my first step into them, getting myself a cheap, crappy ebay mechanical watch with a chinese movement. I knew that by all accounts this would be a rubbish movement and mechanism, however I wanted something that I could take a look at without risking any sort of investment, gauge my interest in the hobby etc. However, after receiving it, one of my friends let me know that he had a near identical cheap watch that was broken, and offered me to have a look at it as practice. I agreed, and have spent the last few days doing research and taking it apart, before putting it back together again. I've managed to learn quite a lot from it, however I've found that when putting it back together again, the pole of the escape wheel that keeps it in place either end seems to be too short, as though something had broken off. This means the wheel is sat basically loose and wont reach the crystals at either side to keep it in place while it spins. I see no way to fix this, so i intended to get a new wheel to replace it with, however I can't find the name of this type of movement anywhere. It is the kind used in this: ( https://www.amazon.co.uk/Jechin-Skeleton-Hand-Wind-Leather-Mechanical/dp/B00VPRZC50/ref=asc_df_B00VPRZC50/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=290896788181&hvpos=1o3&hvnetw=g&hvrand=13027367026987882679&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9047006&hvtargid=aud-545868369748:pla-468442151749&psc=1 ) . If I really wanted to I think I could just order one of the other watches that I've found that use this movement for £5-6, however I was hoping I might be able to keep to my strict student budget and get just the escape wheel somewhere. Does anyone know where I'd be able to find something like that?
      p.s. Apologies for the lack of knowledge on the subject, I know I'll come across a bit new to the whole thing, but trying to learn as I go
    • By rduckwor
      I am correcting a deformed hairspring and need to set the curve for the regulator pins.  De Carle mentions using curve-forming tweezers, which I cannot yet find.  What are the alternate practices for forming this curved portion of the over curve?
      Thanks,

RMD