Question

8 answers to this question

Did you fully wind it or was it already fully wound? If it was already then it could be the mainspring, or it could be the balance staff, or both. Not to mention many other potential Robles’s but those are the usual suspects. I suggest you remove the movement and start making your checks.

Its possible if it isn't old/gunked up with grease that you could get it going again by gently tapping the balance wheel with a needle or fine toothpick. If it feels blocked, don't push it. If that is the case it will need a disassembly and clean.

Ocassionally things jam up even in well serviced watches, so it could be that it just needs a 'kick'.
It is more likely that it is old and needs a service.

If the watch will run at all, even for a few seconds it will usually  respond  to cleaning. Most likely  as previously  mentioned  it is dirt and fossilized lubricant. Of course  there could  be a mechanical  failure  as well. But this is less likely. 

On 2/13/2020 at 10:49 PM, mineglobus03 said:

Hi everyone, I have some problems with a manual winding watch. It needs some work but I would try to do it myself. The watch appears fully wound but it doesn't work. Which is the problem? Thank you in advance

Alessandro

It probably needs a service. I.e., take the movement of of the case, dip it up and down in a bowl of naphtha, dry it with a hair blower, take some oil (use olive oil if that's all you have) and put some here and there. Place the movement back in the case and you're done.

Seriously, it can be very hard to tell what the problem is. If you want it to work, work well and DIY, I recommend watchrepairlessons.com. However, be warned, watch repairing is extremely addictive!

Good luck!

• Haha 1

Looks like the OP,  just like most others one-posting new members, has moved on with other things in his life and won't bother providing updates.

Everyone deserves respect but the statistically only a minority of the people showing up here have the focus, time and (small) funds needed to go from a casual curiosity to an hobby or learning path.

• Like 2

I definitely agree, everyone deserves respect. My post was just an attempt, perhaps a clumsy attempt, to be a bit funny. It’s interesting to see how the human mind see’s no or little complexity in the fields it has no knowledge. Perhaps a good thing or we would be too intimidated to start any new endeavors .

• Like 3
On 3/22/2020 at 3:06 PM, jdm said:

Looks like the OP,  just like most others one-posting new members, has moved on with other things in his life and won't bother providing updates.

Everyone deserves respect but the statistically only a minority of the people showing up here have the focus, time and (small) funds needed to go from a casual curiosity to an hobby or learning path.

yes its a shame when it happens, I'm not on here as much i would like to be as my work takes me away etc etc, although from a humble and small curiosity in horology I'm now neck deep in parts, tools, website addresses and a couple of lathes, not to mention a few clocks, which by the way the wife would like rid of but I'm keeping.

As for the OP question I'm saying its in need of a good service, so apart it comes I'm afraid. 

• Similar Content

• By Colditz
      I have purchased a GUB09207211 hairspring from Cousins watch parts and I am not sure how to attached it to the anchor on the balance cock. Is there a tool I should use or is there a method that I can employ. Any help is appreciated Thanks.

• By RobRoy
      Hello forum, this is my first time posting.
      I found my great-grandfathers Timex maybe about a year ago, and to my dismay, it wound right up some 50 years later. From what I can tell, it looks to be a viscount model maybe pre-1960s? Possibly closest to a model 31 movement. My area of expertise is really limited to owning battery operated watches, so I'm hoping someone could help.
      I was using my hand to hit a wrench for my car and I didn't even notice I had my watch on. The movement stopped and from then on it's been acting funky, basically just stopping randomly throughout the day, but then restarting. When I take off the case and manually wind the rotor with my fingers, it will continue to run for quite some time, but once I try to wind it with the crown and stem or maybe even shake the watch it may only last a few moments.
      I hope someone may be able to help me diagnose some potential sources of this, since I would love to keep wearing my great-grandfathers watch. I've attached pictures too
    • By Amateurwatchbreaker
      I bought a 1973 bulova jetstar from a flea market today. It has a bulova 11BSACB movement. When the crown is pulled out, the day and day will not change and the time barely sets.  They do flip over when setting the time. Stem is barely making contact in the movement. It was running when I bought it, but now I can't get it to run. The balance swings but does not tick (The pallet fork is broken). I would like to get a replacement movement for it but I can't seem to find a suitable one. Is this movement compatible with another bulova caliber or another movement?

Thanks,
      Seth
    • By Gustavo
      Greetings Guys from Puerto Rico: 
      I'm new to the forum and also to the watch community,  
      I love watches since childhood but now I am introducing to this all new repair aspect of it. 
      I am on need for help since I have been reserching about 2 months ago from this particular caliber (7606A/42 799 RO) and with not sucess of find anything about it. 
      The 7606A its in the balance cock printed and on the dial its marked as a 42 799 RO. 
      If any one out there on the community has any information or the repair manual of it would be very helpful to me since a have a complete watch but in pieces. Just looking down as my first project ot get it back running if its possible. 

Thanks, 

Gustavo A. 
    • By FitOutPost
      Hi, my name is Ross. I am a rookie watch enthusiast and I am really puzzled here.
      Could someone explain to me what kind of a problem am I facing with my timegrapher?
      I do two sets of measurements with the same watch (1 day or 6 days apart) and receive vastly different results - to the point of being completely different from what I observe in real life. 
      For example, my timegrapher shows that my watch is running fast (or ahead of time), while in real life I observe that it runs 7 seconds per day behind. I even recorded a video about it so you could see it for yourself: https://youtu.be/mhGzf6aLMlY
      How should I interpret that? Am I doing anything wrong?

Problem_with_Timegrapher_-_Knowledge_Sharing__16.mp4