Watch of Today

mk3

6 hours ago, stroppy said:

So many jewels!  Does the jewel count make this watch exceptionally accurate, robust and immune to temperature changes?

One would think so but unfortunately not. (for the most part, some can be functional) During the 60's, watch companies were adding more jewels to their watches to "one up" each other in order to gain sales.  This Benrus has 39, 17 in the Movement and 22 in the reverser wheels. (11 in each)  There has been lots of discussion in the past on other forums about the extra jewels being functional. In this watch, I have to say no after looking at it but I could be completely wrong.  @Mark, what's your opinion on this?  How in the world should I attempt the service? ;)

I also have a Waltham 100 in my collection, which is the coolest yet biggest joke around in terms of functionality....it contains 83 useless, highly decorative yet REALLY COOL jewels underneath the edge of the weight.  These watches represent an interesting time in our history:D  I'll be wearing it Monday, will try to remember to snap a pic of both the watch and movement.

IMG_20160514_214956810.jpg

IMG_20160514_214942937_HDR.jpg

Edited by jeffc83
typo

But to average Joe in the jewellers of the time when he whipped the back of and said look at all those jewels its the best thing since sliced bread the person buying would have been amazed. And in answer to your question about alarm movements  noirrac1j I've worked in both the Lucerne was a nice simple pin lever movement the sekonda was a Russian movement which Stefan (svorkoetter) did a fanrastic walkthrough on i only wish hed done it earlier I would have known what to expect and his is much nicer one cosmetically than mine .

18 hours ago, Cad101 said:

It's a loud buzzing noise but it takes you by surprise I have a Lucerne alarm with a little bell inside that's quite loud when it goes off still trying to find a second hand for this one tho.20160514_203510.jpg

I think this old Sindaco-made watch (being sold for parts on Ebay) may have the second hand you are looking for:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-AlanJack-Watch-1-Jewels-Stopometer-Swiss-/351723081948?hash=item51e45450dc:g:gdgAAOSwKfVXJ6Pr

19 hours ago, Cad101 said:

It's a loud buzzing noise but it takes you by surprise I have a Lucerne alarm with a little bell inside that's quite loud when it goes off still trying to find a second hand for this one tho.20160514_203510.jpg

Hey Cad101 what's the caliber on that alarm? I might have a sweep second hand for that alarm...maybe gold or possible stainless. 

JC

1 hour ago, stroppy said:

Another pin lever, I bet! :)

No, it's a jeweled lever! You might be able to just see the pallet jewel in the pic.

I went through a whole alarm phase where that's all I worked on. This one a 17 jewel Ronda 1243-21. There are other Ronda movements that are one jewel--those are the pin levers.

JC

DSCN0241.jpg

2 minutes ago, ftwizard said:

Today is Accurist day. A rather nice number, picked up for around a Tenner. Just polished the crystal and it looks great.

Just a couple of cracks in the glass, but I'm OK with that.

ice

That's very nice with Roman numerals at 12 and 6 only...clean and classic looking. British make?

JC

This was a mod I did a few years ago.  Seiko 6309 7040. Check out the second hand you aviators.  It was one of those bits and pieces,  junkyard builds.  I actually wear it a lot as its a bit of a favorite, fits good and is very comfortable to wear.  I just serviced it recently and it's running very nicely.  Not bad for a watch that serials from 1980.

1463473770599-1133325758.jpg

• Like 2

I just finished this today,  7S26 0020.  It's been sitting in my parts bin for a couple of years after I picked it up in a second hand shop.  A fairly extensive service (oddly I found a scored end stone!)  and a bit of a face-lift and this old Pepsi is looking and running  real nice. 

1463564371956-867595196.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tomprobkins said:

This is one I am really proud of. It was a gift / trade. A 1940 Omega with a center sweep second hand train added on to a 15 jewel movement. Simply beautiful. 

1-P1060335.JPG

So clean and uncluttered..the beauty of form following function...and its Omega!

JC

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, tomprobkins said:

This one feels bigger than it is. It is only 30.5 mm, but it feels like about 34mm on the wrist. 

That is just my size too;)  For some reason, some DO look bigger than they are on the wrist, especially from this era!  Again, beautiful piece!!!  I collect these so it's right up my alley:D

Edited by jeffc83