Watch of Today

mk3

14 hours ago, Waggy said:

Quick update, I have the dial back together and looking OK, not great just OK (pictures to follow). I also have the watch ticking....However, its a little like 'Triggers Broom', AKA Ship of Theseus, below are the parts that have been replaced:

1. Main plate - the dial feet retainer eccentric screws were rusted away and these are riveted in place so I wasn't sure if/how these could be replaced, also the mainspring hole was beyond repair due to a previous badly executed "hammer time" attempt - I suppose I could have bushed it, but I had a spare....
  2. Ratchet wheel - badly corroded and about 1/3 of the teeth gone
  3. Second reduction wheel - this disintegrated upon removal
  4. Pawl levers, one leg snapped after rust removed
  5. Bridge of wheels - the post for the rotor was corroded
  6. Click spring - disintegrated/snapped after rust removed
  7. Center wheel - Corrosion had made the bearing surface too rough so it would not spin freely in the jewel
  8. Hour wheel - was rusted to the cannon pinion so ID was damaged
  9. Cannon pinion - was rusted to the hour wheel so was damaged
  10. Rotor - bearing race was corrosion damaged and thread was corroded away - easier to replace then repair
  11. First reduction wheel - this had corrosion damage, but still serviceable, however the wheel was cracked
  12. Crystal - was polishing ok, but slipped from my hands and broke on the floor 🤬
  13. Escape wheel - bent (not broken?!?!) pivot
  14. Third wheel - broken pivot
  15. Balance - balance staff pivot broken

Still need to re-assemble the dial side

Just thinking... it may have been quicker to list the things I did keep! 🤣

But all good practice and fault finding.

***Forgot to mention, that the initial timegrapher readings after quick adjustment less than an hour after reassemble were:

• +5 seconds/day
  • 180 degrees amplitude
  • 0.1 ms beat error
  • Nice straight parallel lines (after demag.)

Note: the amplitude is low but hopefully this will improve over the next 24/48 hours to the usual Seiko mid-low 200's

image.png.b97330e15f57689c75054a1eedadc08a.png

So in the end, you built a watch.  I have a few like that.  With my Paul Breguette, the dial, rotor, and I think the power reserve hand are original.  And I also have a gold watch that I assembled from a collection of FHF (ST) 96 parts, a generic non-branded dial, and a vintage case I had on hand.  That one I may name S.O.T. for fun (Ship Of Theseus).

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hello lovely watch people, i rarely post up my watches and i should do more of them because we all love to see and read stories about them. So today, i do have a little story of yesterday but first i ask to bend the rules and post not one but two watches side by side. The Sekonda in my picture i believe belonged to my dad's father, i found it while emptying my dad's flat after he died a few years ago. This is the watch that started it all for me, in terrible condition but after 2 failed attempts at restoration it now happily sits ticking away on my wrist most days. As for yesterday's story, i attended 100 miles away from where i live my 93 year old uncle's funeral my mum's brother,  a kind and generous loving family man who will be sadly missed. Now his father my other grandfather worked for many years keeping the shipping lanes clear and safe for vessels coming into the Hull docks in the town where i live. After many years he retired and received the traditional retirement watch for good service often a Smiths watch was given. From my mum I became aware of his watch less than a year ago and obviously my interest was sparked so i began to ask questions of it's whereabouts and if possible could i have some photos of it so i could hunt down the same brand and model. Turns out my uncle had given it to his son 20 years ago and pictures promptly arrived on my phone from my cousin. It was indeed a Smiths Astral which by strange coincidence i had already collected 5 of but not that particular model. I began my hunt for the same one and by another strange coincidence i found the exact model for sale in the same 9ct gold case not 400 yards from my house, i was very happy. Back to the funeral, sat drinking with some of my family my mum takes my hand opens it and places my grandfather's watch in my palm " thats for you " she said.  My cousin had given her the watch to do with it as she saw fit, six of my family including myself got hmm well rather emotional. As it happens my grandfather hardly wore it, my uncle never wore it and neither did my cousin who had kept it in a drawer for 20 years and could have quite easily given it to his son. I was told yesterday that " it's now in the right hands ". Coincidences are a strange thing, I'm a big believer in fate, my grandfather's brother was a watch and clock repairer and lived just 2 minutes from my house, my treasured new watch was given to my grandfather on his retirement the same year i was born. I kind of believe it's been making its way to me for the last 57 years. If you've stuck with me this long then i thank you and you need a bloody medal 🤣. Here is grandpa Jack on the left and grandpa Fred on the right. Soooooooooo happy today 🙂🙂🙂🙂🙂🙂🙂.

17091155094198628211635997992045.jpg

• Like 10

2 minutes ago, watchweasol said:

Nice One. @Neverenoughwatches  I  like you have family pieces, mine were clocks and a gold Omega (my uncles) which I had for fifty years and on the occasion of my Grandaughters wedding presented it to her husband for the duration. It’s travelled far and has further to go.  

Thanks WW and thats a lovely sentiment that your granddaughter and her husband will remember forever. I think watches should have a life, this one i have of my grandfather's has never had one, its condition is immaculate, the 9ct gold case and bracelet has barely a mark on it, the dial has hardly seen the sun. A life is something i now have to give it, we're all big softies really aren't we 🙂

• Like 2

Hi @Neverenoughwatches  yes at heart we are but I believe that’s the purpose of these things is to continue their life, the monetary value is nothing tha fact it belonged to your Grandad does have value. The fact it’s almost new bears testament to the mindset of years ago. The cost was higher and as a rule it would have been worn for best like weddings and funerals etc, in between times it was cherished and put away till the next time a bit like the wedding suit

• Like 3

If watches could talk ... I gave my grandfather's pocket watch (Waltham) to my son on his 21st birthday. He wore it with his wedding suit and carried it with him to the hospital the day his son was born. I never thought it would mean that much to him. My other grandfather was a machinist so I got his tools.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, eccentric59 said:

If watches could talk ... I gave my grandfather's pocket watch (Waltham) to my son on his 21st birthday. He wore it with his wedding suit and carried it with him to the hospital the day his son was born. I never thought it would mean that much to him. My other grandfather was a machinist so I got his tools.

Thats lovely, i think of it as a way that our ancestors can watch over us or even just a good luck charm if you want to think of it in that way. Some watches spend more time with their owners than their owners spend with their partners. You might think me strange and ok yes a lot of folk do 😅 , it depends what you believe, but there is some connection going on between a watch and it's life long owner. My home is full of old watches, clocks and antiques,lets just say i dont sleep too well at night 🤪.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

Thats lovely

Yes and no. Hang on for, as Paul Harvey would say, the rest of the story.

The pocket watch was given to my grandmother by the Hercules Powder Company, following the 1940 explosion that killed 53 workers. My grandfather was one of them. My father was 11 years old at the time. He was raised by my grandmother and her two sisters. My dad had serious emotional problems and it manifested in not very good ways, but that's a different therapy session. The watch was kept in a junk box. He never used it, or even looked at it. My brothers and I found it in a junk drawer when we were small and ended up being allowed to play with it. I remember popping the case back and marveling at the decoration on the movement. It was magical to me. We only learned of the story behind it after my grandmother passed. Of course, by that time it didn't run. I ended up taking possession of the watch in my teens and held onto it through college and beyond. 

When I was at the jeweler buying my wife's engagement ring, I just casually asked if they knew anyone who fixed pocket watches. I don't recall what was fixed or how much it cost, but I do remember that it seemed very reasonable (but I guess in comparison to the price of a diamond solitaire, it would be.) For one of our anniversaries my wife bought me a gold chain for the watch and I carried it quite frequently.

When I finally passed the watch on to my son, I wrote up the story with as much detail as I knew about how we came to have it. Like life, the watch carries both joy and pain ... and history.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, eccentric59 said:

Yes and no. Hang on for, as Paul Harvey would say, the rest of the story.

The pocket watch was given to my grandmother by the Hercules Powder Company, following the 1940 explosion that killed 53 workers. My grandfather was one of them. My father was 11 years old at the time. He was raised by my grandmother and her two sisters. My dad had serious emotional problems and it manifested in not very good ways, but that's a different therapy session. The watch was kept in a junk box. He never used it, or even looked at it. My brothers and I found it in a junk drawer when we were small and ended up being allowed to play with it. I remember popping the case back and marveling at the decoration on the movement. It was magical to me. We only learned of the story behind it after my grandmother passed. Of course, by that time it didn't run. I ended up taking possession of the watch in my teens and held onto it through college and beyond. 

When I was at the jeweler buying my wife's engagement ring, I just casually asked if they knew anyone who fixed pocket watches. I don't recall what was fixed or how much it cost, but I do remember that it seemed very reasonable (but I guess in comparison to the price of a diamond solitaire, it would be.) For one of our anniversaries my wife bought me a gold chain for the watch and I carried it quite frequently.

When I finally passed the watch on to my son, I wrote up the story with as much detail as I knew about how we came to have it. Like life, the watch carries both joy and pain ... and history.

Fascinating story and sorry to hear it wasn't all good. Passing on it's history in a way that can remain with it is such a wonderful idea . And as you said earlier if only they could talk,  well actually..............🤔 never mind 🤫.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Can't remember if I posted this before. Need to take the dial off to see if it has a caliber number and to reset the hands and calendar change.  I really like the dial and it looks and feels good on the Barton silicon strap.

DSCN57322.thumb.JPG.774cda8c364cf33d99317fe9afe15d42.JPGDSCN57362.thumb.JPG.f7d399494df9498de83d6df5775901dd.JPGDSCN57352.thumb.JPG.b76a5b5b78d102f8ca0045a2741d6f48.JPGDSCN57342.thumb.JPG.3d323dfb4d6b11b9b0897e5c84b5e516.JPGDSCN57312.thumb.JPG.b9d92e2a3d76befbbaa149614c5ef1c5.JPG

• Like 2

Haven't posted for a while as I've had family visiting and then sick with a cold 🤢. but did manage to work on this Gruen (AS 5203) watch which has really grown on me. It also has a cool escapement setup, and an even stranger keyless works (no sliding pinion!).

Picture of pallet fork (stock image):

image.png.41a2408fae9f061362d40d241e985a7c.png

Here is the before shot:

Gruenbefore.thumb.jpeg.b04a0468b9424bfc821e4d173363a650.jpeg

Movement with and without automatic works:

0080.thumb.JPG.dcb9a2be311f548269e67cd0a1ec28ec.JPG

0077.thumb.JPG.ee36176c5099b538b6d32e1650b3512f.JPG

Here is the dial side showing the complicated keyless works without a sliding pinion

0092.thumb.JPG.be271d6305ef5d63d87da11c81ce53f3.JPG

Here is a closeup on that pallet fork in the movement: showing only 1 banking pin

0085.thumb.JPG.9a5fbd71dde466776fc744f34e14cc28.JPG

The image below shows the mechanism where the hands setting wheel is not horizontally brought into position, instead it engages and disengages vertically, rather than use a sliding pinion (stock image):

image.png.212c145287bca25c186bfdbcff790483.png

And here is the finished watch with its new strap and crystal (original was cracked):

Gruen.thumb.jpeg.3c3464560bf1488ecb835026b741f6c3.jpeg

• Like 6

20 hours ago, RichardHarris123 said:

Very interesting, is it technically an English lever escapement? 

Not sure, it seems to be along those lines.... something is nagging in the back of my minds saying German.... but maybe that's nonsense and just age catching up with me?

🤣

• Like 1

20 hours ago, RichardHarris123 said:

Very interesting, is it technically an English lever escapement? 

If you're referring to the shape of the pallet fork then no.

It's the shape of the escape wheel teeth and the impulse planes that differentiate between Swiss and English lever escapements.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Marc said:

If you're referring to the shape of the pallet fork then no.

It's the shape of the escape wheel teeth and the impulse planes that differentiate between Swiss and English lever escapements.

Interesting, can it be a true Swiss lever with the location of the fork?

1 hour ago, Waggy said:

Not sure, it seems to be along those lines.... something is nagging in the back of my minds saying German.... but maybe that's nonsense and just age catching up with me?

🤣

The escapement design is still swiss lever, it just has a different banking design to what we usually see, there may be a patent serial no. somewhere on the movement.  I restored a buser a while back that had the banking as part of the lever cock shape.  English lever the escape wheel teeth geometry is very different.

• Like 1

On 3/18/2024 at 9:33 AM, Neverenoughwatches said:

The escapement design is still swiss lever, it just has a different banking design to what we usually see, there may be a patent serial no. somewhere on the movement.  I restored a buser a while back that had the banking as part of the lever cock shape.  English lever the escape wheel teeth geometry is very different.

Ricoh has a similar pallet fork

Tressa 1970s ETA 2788 Unusual Grey Sunburst Dial all original except for the crystal

Running really well for its age, + 0.5 SPD, 300 degrees amplitude horizontal after 12 hours.

I have another crystal arriving next week with a wider tension ring that I hope can hide the gap between the dial and case (XAC 321.577). Wide tension ring crystals appear to be few and far between so if anyone has any tips for a good source then that's most appreciated.

I did look at ATCB range from Sternkreuz but they seem a bit higher than I would like based on the dimensions.

IMG_20240323_102504394_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240322_075832567_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240322_080050777.jpg

IMG_20240323_103758141.jpg

• Like 5