omega 751 continues to irk me

Hello,

I got the new incabloc spring and it fit perfectly. Some may remember from my last post, that the other one seemed slightly too big and it was.

Now there is a new problem, the date will not turn over by spinning the hands past midnight. I think its a problem with either the double calendar setting wheel (560-1559) or the date indicator driving wheel (563-1564) because I can see the date indicator wheel reach the teeth on the date wheel (the one with the actual numbers), but it stops as if it doesn't have enough power to turn it over. I also crushed the tube of sweep second hand trying to tighten it so that it wouldn't spin, but its no good now! I need a new sweep second hand and cannot find a S.S. one.

Has anyone had the problem of the date not turning over at midnight like this?

Thanks for any insight anyone can provide.

JC

THursday constellation.jpg

The date wheel itself seems OK. I mean, It worked before and it was just wrapped in tissue, and I was waiting for the incabloc spring to come before putting back the calendar works. The date will change only by quick set: which uses a "work-around" little hook that physically grabs the wheel and spins it. But via the usual way, the date indicator gear meets the date wheel and stops. The watch keeps going.

J

Edited by noirrac1j

Hello

Thanks Bob. Yeah I've checked O Frei. They have the blue steel, pink gold and yellow gold for the 751 calibre,but no stainless.  I've tried the hands that fit the 750 and 752,but they do not fit the 751--the post is too long on those hands. I've ordered a  generic set from ebay once again in the hopes that I can somehow make the sweep hand fit. I've tried before but did not attempt an alteration. Someone told me I should have tried a broach, but I can't find one fine enough to use.

J

That will be my last chance effort: buy a gold hand and have it replated in rhodium. I can have it done using a Canadian company I've used for 2 of my watchcases, but not sure if they can do a sweep hand as it will need to "wired-up"  to plate. Do you think I could sand the gold off? I Thought maybe they were....well,  I guess gold colored throughout?

Joe

That was my first thought. But never with a gold hand rather the reds or any of the painted ones. A dip in acetone or some other chemical and maybe a light sanding? Experimentation is on! :)

I would try it on first regardless of color and see if they fit the watch the proper way though...then if OK, you'll be good to go.

That will be my last chance effort: buy a gold hand and have it replated in rhodium. I can have it done using a Canadian company I've used for 2 of my watchcases, but not sure if they can do a sweep hand as it will need to "wired-up"  to plate. Do you think I could sand the gold off? I Thought maybe they were....well,  I guess gold colored throughout?

Joe

Aren't the hands made in brass? If so, you can rhodium! Otherwise they will not turn white when polished.

• 2 weeks later...

This is the last time I post on this darn Omega watch. I had to replace the cannon pinion and center wheel ($$$) because it was not running properly. This is the 3rd cannon pinion I've bought! True, I ruined the first two by over  tightening them, but its been a tramautizing ordeal with this constellation.

After taking the watch apart for the 4th time, I looked closely at the clearance of the center wheel and slowly rotated it in is jeweled setting. I noticed a slight warping...probably when I was trying to fit the cannon pinion I over tightened. This warping was causing it to skip and at times rub on the mainspring barrel, causing the movement to stop. Ok ordered a new cannon pinion and center wheel.

Well, I also ordered a new sweep second hand--yes it seemed too small again, but this time I took a very fine needle and opened it up. I pressed it in place while holding the sweep second pinion carefully from the other side and it seems to be working. I cleaned everything again and its sitting vertically on my workbench right now

I don't think I like this watch anymore! I look at it with disgust and resentment for what it put me through. I'm really thinking of selling it, but I've put so much time and money into it! I am afraid I'll wake up and something else will go wrong, and then the next thing....and the next thing...and the next! Over and over like in some late night Twilight Zone episode where the guys winds up becoming a lunatic because the watch drove him mad. I'm gonna sleep on it before deciding. I'lkl have to sell it for parts at this point--whether it running or not. Has anyone else been torn between selling a watch that has become a headache, or keeping it regardless because of time/money invested/sentiment?

J

DSCN4646.JPG

DSCN4647.JPG

DSCN4648.JPG

DSCN4649.JPG

DSCN4650.JPG

DSCN4651.JPG

Edited by noirrac1j
typo

IMO, it's a gorgeous watch with a beautiful movement and a very nice dial... If it all works, put it back in the case, put a nice band on it and keep it.

If you're on the fence, sell it. It's sad to have a watch you'll never wear just collecting dust in a drawer somewhere.

PS: if it's helpful, please note that I gladly take Omega donations :P 

6 hours ago, frenchie said:

IMO, it's a gorgeous watch with a beautiful movement and a very nice dial... If it all works, put it back in the case, put a nice band on it and keep it.

If you're on the fence, sell it. It's sad to have a watch you'll never wear just collecting dust in a drawer somewhere.

PS: if it's helpful, please note that I gladly take Omega donations :P 

Thanks Frenchie!

I know I said I wouldn't post anymore on this particular watch, but....dont be mad at me @Mark, I just can't help myself! I've put her back together as carefully as I could and decided to give it one more chance. I'll see how she performs today when I take her out...so far so good. 

JC

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

Beside that I don' particularly like this Seiko-5 lookalike, watches are inanimate objects, no need to develop feelings about'em or keep fighting trophies. At least from a watchmaker perspective.

What matters is that you certainly learned many things in working on it, and hopefully got it right at the end, hence building up your patience and self-esteem. That alone will more than justify the money spent, even if you have to sell it at a loss.

4 hours ago, jdm said:

Beside that I don' particularly like this Seiko-5 lookalike, watches are inanimate objects, no need to develop feelings about'em or keep fighting trophies. At least from a watchmaker perspective.

What matters is that you certainly learned many things in working on it, and hopefully got it right at the end, hence building up your patience and self-esteem. That alone will more than justify the money spent, even if you have to sell it at a loss.

Many watches look like one another.  I guess which looks like which would depend on who came with the design first: probably Omega although I don't know for sure.

Just an inanimate object? I disagree with you on that quite vigorously! This is an instrument with its own character and energy--certainly no mere inanimate object such as a chair or table; and even those can have a warmness and comfort that imbue them with distinct qualities especially if you made it yourself. Surely you've owned a car, bicycle, toy or some other object that you treasured and had "feelings" for?

In any case, you're correct in the lesson that this watch has taught me. The Omega has been keeping great time and everything is as it should be up to now. The lesson? Perseverance!

JC

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, anilv said:

Hi Noirrac,

Can you not re-rivet the calender driving wheel?

Anil

That's a good question Anil, and one that I didn't even formulate when the problem arose. The wheel itself is tiny and beyond the realm of repair to my eyes. Perhaps someone with the right tools and skill set could repair it. Do you need the calendar wheel? Its yours if you want to try repairing it.

JC

6 hours ago, noirrac1j said:

Just an inanimate object? I disagree with you on that quite vigorously! This is an instrument with its own character and energy--certainly no mere inanimate object such as a chair or table; and even those can have a warmness and comfort that imbue them with distinct qualities especially if you made it yourself. Surely you've owned a car, bicycle, toy or some other object that you treasured and had "feelings" for?

Be reassured that I understand perfectly what you say, it's just like that for me watches like any other beautiful objects are.. objects.

Of course I had many toys that i loved, but they were just toys. The feelings I've experience living with them will stay with me as I live or recall memories, objects are mere enablers. Think of Leonardo di Caprio and his many young dates: he can't just get too attached :)

On ‎5‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 11:50 PM, noirrac1j said:

like in some late night Twilight Zone episode where the guys winds up becoming a lunatic because the watch drove him mad. I'm gonna sleep on it before deciding

And you woke up being a Zombie Killer not a mad watchmaker! I love the result, Joe. That's a nice watch for the collection and I'm sure, after all the tribulations, it will have a special place in your heart...errr, wrist? :)

Cheers,

Bob

PS. Well done!!! 

• Similar Content