What tools does ebay have to offer this week.

Hey all watch peeps. I thought a great idea for a new regular thread that would help the tool collectors among us ( which is pretty much all of us ). I've had a few wins just lately and I'd love to see the rest of us take something back from the Bay as well. I spend some time looking for bargains and often see stuff that i already have that would be put to good use by other members that i know dont have them or are saving up for something in particular. After a fair bit of practice I've started to get a feel for a sale outcome, often putting in last hour offers below starting prices that sometimes get accepted or cheeky offers on relisted items that initially get overlooked. Its just about drawing members attention to a potential bargain and can even be aimed directly at a member whom you know is searching for a staking set or a jewelling tool or whatever. Members could post up what they are searching for, regular ebay scanners can shout out a sighting or something else that might be of interest. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, RichardHarris123 said:

This could be handy. 

Screenshot_20230918_182812_eBay.jpg

I have one of these but a different design, instead of the revolving cartridge with various sized holes to support the balance whilst its being drilled, mine has different sized  spindles to pass the drill holders through. Generally go for 50 - 100 quid. Oh its for Repivoting 😆

Edited by Neverenoughwatches
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Paul80 said:

Good idea, just don't post links to items you want yourself, unless you want to loose out to the can't have too many lathes or staking sets etc brigade 😉

It would be more about coming across something you think someone else might want or to post a particular please keep a look for me I'm after a ------. Or a just look at this its a bargain. Its literally just happened now, i was keeping an eye on a complete Favourite jewelling set, and forgot about it. Its just finished at 190 uk, should have been more like 300. Of course there's always the possibility that two members want the same item and bid against each other diving the price past the point of a bargain. You can always pm a member that's asked for a ' keep an eye out ' request. 

3 minutes ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

It would be more about coming across something you think someone else might want or to post a particular please keep a look for me I'm after a ------. Or a just look at this its a bargain. Its literally just happened now, i was keeping an eye on a complete Favourite jewelling set, and forgot about it. Its just finished at 190 uk, should have been more like 300. Of course there's always the possibility that two members want the same item and bid against each other diving the price past the point of a bargain. You can always pm a member that's asked for a ' keep an eye out ' request. 

Ok so here is an example.  A crystal lift, these new from say cousins are around 70 maybe 80 quid, far superior to the Chinese cloney type. Now i paid around 30 quid for mine, the clamp reset spring was worn so the claws didn't draw back out by themselves but a thick rubberband solved it and i just love this tool. Now not everyone will agree with me and other members should add their input of experience with said tool to help an interested member make his decision whether to take a punt. But ultimately its the buyer's responsibility to check it out and make that final decision to buy. But anyone can jump in and say, hang on a min thats missing or thats broken or its crap or whatever.  It is just a  ' hey billy bob i know you wanted one of these, theres one here ' . So 1 crystal lift about a day to go its at 16 notes atm some newbies might be after one and you might get lucky, check it out ask questions i wouldn't push much past 30 quid.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/386114901395?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=HO29VTDJQAS&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=tBiLZaCfRb2&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

9 hours ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

Ok so here is an example.  A crystal lift, these new from say cousins are around 70 maybe 80 quid, far superior to the Chinese cloney type. Now i paid around 30 quid for mine, the clamp reset spring was worn so the claws didn't draw back out by themselves but a thick rubberband solved it and i just love this tool. Now not everyone will agree with me and other members should add their input of experience with said tool to help an interested member make his decision whether to take a punt. But ultimately its the buyer's responsibility to check it out and make that final decision to buy. But anyone can jump in and say, hang on a min thats missing or thats broken or its crap or whatever.  It is just a  ' hey billy bob i know you wanted one of these, theres one here ' . So 1 crystal lift about a day to go its at 16 notes atm some newbies might be after one and you might get lucky, check it out ask questions i wouldn't push much past 30 quid.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/386114901395?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=HO29VTDJQAS&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=tBiLZaCfRb2&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

I've also just realised that any links we post initiates the ebay ad at the bottom of the page for the item. So our forum might also get a tickle out of it as well. 

7 hours ago, Waggy said:

Some nice Jacots there, but like you say waggy early days yet. I like the ones that haven't budged in price for days. Though this can be a laying low tactic to avoid awareness.  The crystal lift is still at £16.50 with 2 hours left so any UKers that dont have one take a look and a lucky shot, sometimes even a few quid above the last bid can pull you in a bargain. I'll drop the link again as i have it saved

Edited by Neverenoughwatches

1 hour ago, RichardHarris123 said:

Does the lack of a plate really matter?

I've seen the crystal spacing plate made from credit cards.

1 hour ago, RichardHarris123 said:

Does the lack of a plate really matter?

The original plate is worth having and they do actually come up separately from time to time. Its still at 16.50 a couple of quid above might grab it. New from cousins they run at 70 quid. Tough call, another 40 notes gets you a new one. I would never ever go above half the new price for anything.

16 minutes ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

The original plate is worth having and they do actually come up separately from time to time. Its still at 16.50 a couple of quid above might grab it. New from cousins they run at 70 quid. Tough call, another 40 notes gets you a new one. I would never ever go above half the new price for anything.

So just an example of some input,the crystal lift has jumped to 22 quid plus 5.50 delivery it has the spacing plate missing . Its going beyond a bargain now. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

So just an example of some input,the crystal lift has jumped to 22 quid plus 5.50 delivery it has the spacing plate missing . Its going beyond a bargain now. 

The crystal plate is not expensive Rich, neither is the proper Bergeon rubber grommet 

https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/gaskets-for-claw-type-fitting-tools-bergeon?code=G7346

https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/round-glasses-bergeon-4266

Tom

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, tomh207 said:

The crystal plate is not expensive Rich, neither is the proper Bergeon rubber grommet 

https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/gaskets-for-claw-type-fitting-tools-bergeon?code=G7346

https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/round-glasses-bergeon-4266

Tom

Eyup Tom. Aye i checked up on that earlier. As it happens the pre owned lifter went for 38 plus 5.50 postage to add another 15 plus vat + cousins delivery for the plate . Less than another tenner and a new one could be had, so no bargain today. I do prefer the older lived in gear but in this case a new one probably a better choice .

6 minutes ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

Eyup Tom. Aye i checked up on that earlier. As it happens the pre owned lifter went for 38 plus 5.50 postage to add another 15 plus vat + cousins delivery for the plate . Less than another tenner and a new one could be had, so no bargain today. I do prefer the older lived in gear but in this case a new one probably a better choice .

Yeah Rich, I lucked out and got a pair of the 4266 lifters cheap as a job lot, stripped, cleaned and lubed them whilst waiting for two new bases and grommets to come. Reminds me got to put one of those up for sale 😀

Tom

• Like 2

I've been on the lookout for a staking set.  Missed out on several because I have a hard time forking out $400 or more.  But I want a K&D 18R with all of the bells and whistles and not caked in rust.  So, there's the rub, lol.

That estate sale is interesting, but not near my neck of the woods.  I see some things that I'd love to have.  But then there's all of the stuff that I wouldn't want that would likely take me years to clear out.  Some tools I probably wouldn't even know what they are, like this black contraption.

s-l1600c.jpg

1 hour ago, gpraceman said:

I've been on the lookout for a staking set.  Missed out on several because I have a hard time forking out $400 or more.  But I want a K&D 18R with all of the bells and whistles and not caked in rust.  So, there's the rub, lol.

That estate sale is interesting, but not near my neck of the woods.  I see some things that I'd love to have.  But then there's all of the stuff that I wouldn't want that would likely take me years to clear out.  Some tools I probably wouldn't even know what they are, like this black contraption.

s-l1600c.jpg

That is a curious device,  some sellers do add all kinds of wierd and wonderful objects to a listing to fill out a sale. Tools from akin trades or even very different trades to wow unsuspecting new folk to watch repair. I'll keep an eye out for the k and d, i have a saved search on staking tools its something I like to look at and boost my accessories. The k and do hold their price well, a fully loaded set for under 400 is quite a big ask and you are in a big  place with lots of buyers and onsellers, Its just a waiting game I'm affraid.

7 hours ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

That is a curious device,  some sellers do add all kinds of wierd and wonderful objects to a listing to fill out a sale. Tools from akin trades or even very different trades to wow unsuspecting new folk to watch repair.

Seems that that contraption is a watch timing machine.  https://www.ebay.com/itm/134415570816  I take it that the one part on the left is for the paper and the part on the right holds the watch and can be rotated through different positions.

7 hours ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

I'll keep an eye out for the k and d, i have a saved search on staking tools its something I like to look at and boost my accessories. The k and do hold their price well, a fully loaded set for under 400 is quite a big ask and you are in a big  place with lots of buyers and onsellers, Its just a waiting game I'm affraid.

I have a saved search, so I'll be notified if anything new pops up.  I'll probably have better luck by trying to meet local watchmakers and get a line on a staking set that way.  I found a local chapter of the NAWCC that I'll drop in on.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, RichardHarris123 said:

Not totally in the spirit of the thread but I've just picked up a Bergeon 4266 for £25, no base plate but I'm sure a couple of old credit cards as in @Neverenoughwatcheswill suffice. 

Another here for 30 quid with the spacer, offers to start bid. 25 quid might see it sold . Finishes in 5 mins 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/266407206976?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=cUICm8m6ROO&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=tBiLZaCfRb2&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

24 minutes ago, RichardHarris123 said:

Not totally in the spirit of the thread but I've just picked up a Bergeon 4266 for £25, no base plate but I'm sure a couple of old credit cards as in @Neverenoughwatcheswill suffice. 

Just use them to replace the fixed and the sliding plate fitted onto block of wood. A genuine one will pop up sooner or later. 

Staking set coming up for sale in the next few hours peeps.  Its not a maker i have seen before but the finish reminds me of one that Favourite makes. The favourite has a small button label on the side. A favourite copy ?. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/364479717725?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=C2n2zqsnQba&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=tBiLZaCfRb2&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

22 hours ago, RichardHarris123 said:

This, starting price £20. I don't know what it is. 

Screenshot_20230922_181630_eBay.jpg

This 

Screenshot_20230922_182355_eBay.jpg

The first ones are lathe arbors ( not sure if thats the correct term ) . Used for turning watch parts on turns ( a manual kind of lathe ). I think they could be used or adapted to be used on any type of lathe.

Something for you new to watch repair guys over in the US. A good collection of tweezers, to buy as new i guess over 500 bucks.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/386140911730?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=jmpmhdi2q1c&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=tBiLZaCfRb2&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

• Like 1