What tools does ebay have to offer this week.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

Thats a lot of winders.

The question is how many usable winders can be made out of that mess?  I count 9 arbors, but can't tell the condition of the hooks.  31 barrels, but many are in pieces, and pieces seem to be missing.

3 hours ago, gpraceman said:

The question is how many usable winders can be made out of that mess?  I count 9 arbors, but can't tell the condition of the hooks.  31 barrels, but many are in pieces, and pieces seem to be missing.

Some usable parts if you are prepared to do some of your own manufacturing to make complete but you wouldnt want to pay very much .

Anyone after a starter scope ? 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/186108484587?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=xOSWZLSCSNa&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=tBiLZaCfRb2&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Screenshot_20231005-180928_eBay.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

Pretty nice K&D 18R Deluxe Staking Tool Set.  More complete than many others that I have seen.  Missing a few stakes and the little metal tightener pieces for the roller table removers.  Of course, the seller didn't list out which stakes are included to compare against the original 100 stakes for the set.  Case is in pretty reasonable shape.  Though, it looks like someone sprayed clear coat over the label, causing it to bubble up.  Price is lower than what I have seen less complete sets go for, but still a good chunk of change.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/404597467202

s-l1600.jpg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, gpraceman said:

Pretty nice K&D 18R Deluxe Staking Tool Set.  More complete than many others that I have seen.  Missing a few stakes and the little metal tightener pieces for the roller table removers.  Of course, the seller didn't list out which stakes are included to compare against the original 100 stakes for the set.  Case is in pretty reasonable shape.  Though, it looks like someone sprayed clear coat over the label, causing it to bubble up.  Price is lower than what I have seen less complete sets go for, but still a good chunk of change.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/404597467202

s-l1600.jpg

Most sellers of tools like these wont know what a complete set would be, some not even aware of what the tool is. Always a gamble, one reason i felt a thread like this would be helpful for those of us not knowledgeable enough to avoid being dupped either intentionally or not. It makes me happy when pros weigh in with a "  whoa don't buy it " or a " snap it up its a bargain " 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

Most sellers of tools like these wont know what a complete set would be, some not even aware of what the tool is. Always a gamble, one reason i felt a thread like this would be helpful for those of us not knowledgeable enough to avoid being dupped either intentionally or not. It makes me happy when pros weigh in with a "  whoa don't buy it " or a " snap it up its a bargain " 

Quite true.  I would call this one a relative bargain.  I recently saw a less complete set go for $432 and a beautifully refinished one (yet missing several pieces) go for a whopping $761.  Having some extra stakes or duplicate stakes in the set can obscure that there are missing stakes from the original 100.

I bought such a 18R deluxe set off of fleabay and it ended up having plenty of duplicate and missing stakes and a mix of C.E. & Marshall stakes.  I ended up returning it (fortunately, the seller accepted returns and I didn't have to pay return shipping).  I did research on the https://kanddinverto.weebly.com site to see what should come with the set and used that info to evaluate sets up for auction.  My 2nd purchase was much more successful.  Minimal duplicates and missing stakes.  Hurt my wallet though.  I was a bit too impatient, as I was able to find a nice set (albeit a Series 600 set) locally for a quite low price.  Now I have two staking sets, lol.  I have to figure which I want to keep.  Both are nice and close to complete, but the 18R deluxe set has more bells and whistles.

Edited by gpraceman
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, gpraceman said:

Quite true.  I would call this one a relative bargain.  I recently saw a less complete set go for $432 and a beautifully refinished one (yet missing several pieces) go for a whopping $761.  Having some extra stakes or duplicate stakes in the set can obscure that there are missing stakes from the original 100.

I bought a set off of fleabay and it ended up having plenty of duplicate and missing stakes.  I ended up returning it (fortunately, the seller accepted returns and I didn't have to pay return shipping).  I did research on the https://kanddinverto.weebly.com site to see what should come with the set and used that info to evaluate sets up for auction.  My 2nd purchase was much more successful.  Minimal duplicates and missing stakes.  Hurt my wallet though.  I was a bit too impatient, as I was able to find a nice set (albeit a Series 600 set) locally for a quite low price.  Now I have two staking sets, lol.  I have to figure which I want to keep.  Both are nice and close to complete, but the 18R deluxe set has more bells and whistles.

I remember your posts and you were lucky to be able to get refund. Haha getting what you want then another better deal appears soon after, often how it goes. I agree with our John here that buying tools is a waiting game, upsetting for those of us that are impatient. Thats why i have multiple staking and jewelling sets 😆, if only it was just staking and  jewelling sets. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

I remember your posts and you were lucky to be able to get refund. Haha getting what you want then another better deal appears soon after, often how it goes. I agree with our John here that buying tools is a waiting game, upsetting for those of us that are impatient. Thats why i have multiple staking and jewelling sets 😆, if only it was just staking and  jewelling sets. 

Problem is that I am far too impatient.  You have to pull the trigger at some point and who knows how far down the line that better deal will show up if it isn't already in front of your face (with the way prices keep rising).

Watchmakers having multiple staking sets or other tools seems not so unusual.  Hopefully, that will not end up being me too, as I don't have the space.

22 minutes ago, gpraceman said:

Problem is that I am far too impatient.  You have to pull the trigger at some point and who knows how far down the line that better deal will show up if it isn't already in front of your face (with the way prices keep rising).

Watchmakers having multiple staking sets or other tools seems not so unusual.  Hopefully, that will not end up being me too, as I don't have the space.

Dont worry you will make space, re- house the dog, sell the children , send the missus back to her parents. Soooo many options. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

Dont worry you will make space, re- house the dog, sell the children , send the missus back to her parents. Soooo many options. 

Small dog, children grown and on their own, and my in-laws told me specifically no returns. LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/19/2023 at 9:50 PM, gpraceman said:

Some tools I probably wouldn't even know what they are, like this black contraption.

image.png.79867be6653c381e375f2a63d8282f92.png

On 9/19/2023 at 9:53 AM, tomh207 said:

For a crystal lift

Thinking of crystal lifts we already discussed another one keep an eye open on eBay for one of these really quite nice. Because the design of the tool you can set the depth at which it grabs your crystal for insertion.

On 9/22/2023 at 10:20 AM, RichardHarris123 said:

This 

Screenshot_20230922_182355_eBay.jpg

Don't know why even ask about this tool tells you what it is and that's a really good price. Well sort of a good price in other words it's a good price for something you put on your shelf and it looks really nice and pretty. If you want to use it its missing all the cutters so without the cutters it's basically worthless. Then realistically you would probably never have a opportunity use the tool anyway but it still would look really impressive on the shelf impress your friends

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JohnR725 said:

image.png.79867be6653c381e375f2a63d8282f92.png

Thinking of crystal lifts we already discussed another one keep an eye open on eBay for one of these really quite nice. Because the design of the tool you can set the depth at which it grabs your crystal for insertion.

Don't know why even ask about this tool tells you what it is and that's a really good price. Well sort of a good price in other words it's a good price for something you put on your shelf and it looks really nice and pretty. If you want to use it its missing all the cutters so without the cutters it's basically worthless. Then realistically you would probably never have a opportunity use the tool anyway but it still would look really impressive on the shelf impress your friends

The crystal tool can also work like a caseback holder. The jaws are not held in by the tension of a spring, they are physically moved in and out by the large top nut. Though it does have a minimum setting of around 24mm

2 hours ago, Waggy said:
2 hours ago, Waggy said:

Eyup watch peeps, this is a ' what tools Did ebay have to offer '  but i couldn't resist posting this joblot. So pleased with these, i was only in it for the two items in the second picture, one of them is a mystery tool pictured by itself ( i think i now have 4 versions that do the same job ). In the lot is 4 movement holders, well 3 to be exact one of them has another use pictured also on its own and usually comes with something else. A truing tool with a wheel bending tool,   an Arkansas stone, a mainspring winder,and 2 old poising tools one is a lovely Boley. 12 items in total not one of them Chinese, all Swiss, French or German at the ridiculous price of just over £6 each, well chuffed 🙂.

20231109_102222.jpg

20231109_102300.jpg

20231109_102332.jpg

16995269369677260516496312602044.jpg

Edited by Neverenoughwatches

44 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

This is a vice to hold watches before you open them. I had one of these plus the opener. I have looked for a photo of the opener but can't find one. 

20231109_102332.thumb.jpg.a84078cc0707d7d827d3dc102689f027.jpg

Yep OH it comes with a caseback removal tool. The ones I've seen it with have just 2 adjustable pins compared to the 3 that the Jaxa has. The handles  have ball ends. 

• 2 weeks later...

15 minutes ago, tomh207 said:

Thanks Tom,that one must have got past my ebay eyes 👍

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...