Which Watch Have You Got Coming In The Mail ? Show Us !!!

SCOTTY

Eddie Stobart Chinese standard skeletonized movement at a 404 club price.

AsPurchasedCropped-l1600.thumb.jpg.edade8de85d482f06bdf9d4082f8ac41.jpg

These show up pretty often, and were made in huge numbers, so if you want a cheap pocket watch to play with, or spares for some other Chinsese standard movement watch, look out for these.

The quality is average to good, for this kind of mechanism.

AsPurchasedCropped-l1600.jpg.0bb67dfc2ff10b27454c090ba155a0aa.jpg

According to the seller, this is a non runner 21 jewel ETA 2892 based automatic. There were no pictures of the movement in the listing, only external views, so it might actually have a ball of string and half a sardine in it.

However since it was only a penny short of two quid, and since it has a rather interesting Saudi flag dial, I thought it was worth investigation. If it is as described, then I guess I've..won a watch, so to speak.

I have a load of ebay £10's in the post to start playing with, but this one caught my eye last night having just been listed.

I paid way more than I should of (£35) but it didn't exactly break the bank, and it all looks ok so might just need a service 🙂

Why?..... It was a prop in Blitz & Pieces, Gary Sparrow's (Nicholas Lyndhurst) memorabilia shop in Goodnight Sweetheart. How awesome, I loved that show.

GSwatch.jpg

GSwatch2.jpg

• Like 1

On 1/31/2022 at 6:22 PM, Jimg1969 said:

Bought a lot for 16.00, looks to have a vintage bulova, a small accutron and one that looks to be a vintage mido multifort with a rectangle case. Should be here Thursday, can't wait.

Screenshot_20220131-182205_Poshmark.jpg

My lot arrived Thursday and include a running Mido with a 14k gold case. Was shocked,its also keeps good time. The seller even threw in a couple timex electronic and dynabeat watches.. score 

20220203_224424.jpg

20220203_224455.jpg

20220203_224507.jpg

Edited by Jimg1969
  • Like 5

AsPurchasedCropped-l1600.jpg.6498fe44e3822507e0c99d9993758b48.jpg

A fairy early Swiss quartz (the late 1970s or early eighties artwork in the included instruction booklet state it runs at 32768 Hz, so that kind of dates it).

Generally I wouldn't pay much attention to a quartz watch, but this is Swiss made,  has the original box, warranty and instruction leaflet, and of course an irresistible blue dial. Limit International, in one form or another have been around since around 1912.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, AndyHull said:

AsPurchasedCropped-l1600.jpg.6498fe44e3822507e0c99d9993758b48.jpg

A fairy early Swiss quartz (the late 1970s or early eighties artwork in the included instruction booklet state it runs at 32768 Hz, so that kind of dates it).

Generally I wouldn't pay much attention to a quartz watch, but this is Swiss made,  has the original box, warranty and instruction leaflet, and of course an irresistible blue dial. Limit International, in one form or another have been around since around 1912.

Have you got a picture of the movement Andy?

8 minutes ago, JohnD said:

Have you got a picture of the movement Andy?

Nope. So its a bit of a lottery. However at the price I paid, I can't really be disappointed, no matter what is in it. I'll be happy if it works.

At a guess I would think it might be a Ronda of some sort, but it could be pretty much any early(ish) Swiss quartz.

I'll post pics of it when it arrives. Limit used a variety of different manufacturers over the years.

AsPurchased-l1600.thumb.jpg.0b80770db539d7ae5950eca01e796ba6.jpg

An HMT Slim with a white dial and an HMT Chethan with a gold dial are on their way. Both are complete (with their respective case backs).

AsPurchasedRearOpened-l1600.thumb.jpg.54c0d77aad079713147a95c7ca4e3716.jpg

The slim may have a loose crown, as it appears to be sticking out in some of the listing pictures, but that should be easy enough to remedy.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I hoped that the dirt would keep ppl away from the biding, but unfortunately is was not the case. £41 +P&P was my winning bid. I wanted one because I have NOS 1223 movements and I wanted to case one, I got no hands dial and case so far. I bought another one since my post above, that one was £65 +P&P.

12 minutes ago, Tiny said:

Where do I start ?

The best is starting with watches that are recommended for beginners, check thread below. Ingersoll, Timex, Chinese are not recommended.

Then, you need a minimum of €50 of tools just for opening, closing cases, replace brands and crystals, do hands removal and refitting. Multiply by at least 4 times to get decently equipped for mov.t work, which needs a timegrapher. Often negleted is to mention that you need to setup your space to have excellent lightning, work at least a chest high unless you have superpowers or like to lose parts and be miserabile kneeling around on the floor.

If you are really serious about learning what is what and how things are properly done, consider enrolling the high quality training by our Host Mark Lovick at watchfix.com.

I agree with all of the above, and would add magnification to the basic list. A x4 loop/loupe or an angle poise magnifier at the bare minimum. Things like tweezers, oils, screwdrivers and so on have their own threads here, where they have been discussed in great detail.

A lot of watch parts are pretty small, and I don't know about you, but my eyes 'aint quite as perfect as they once were.

Pocket watches are a good place to start, the parts are slightly larger.

TImex pin levers are fiddly, and can be a bit of a nightmare for a beginner. Ingersoll are a mixed bunch. Some of them are cheap pin lever movements, which can be as tricky as Timexes, others are fully jewelled and reasonable quality.

Chinese mechanical movements are such a variable mix in terms of quality, and can therefore be difficult to get running well, so they might also disappoint.

• 2 weeks later...

This one just showed up. I put a rally strap on it which looks closer to the Breitling it's based on. I'm curious how this ST 1901 movement will hold up. For $199 delivered it seems like a good price and it even has a sapphire crystal on the front.

Front.thumb.jpg.6fe8d02f1d41263f9df95e12fb97ef1a.jpg

Back.thumb.jpg.f8d20de2fb3a2725df4bc93205f790c7.jpg

Edited by GuyMontag
  • Like 1

AsPurchased1-l1600.thumb.jpg.e2bb40098d0559f54e0fc2abc4ebbbfd.jpg

I have a 1968 Timex Viscount on its way. The crystal and crown are missing, but that shouldn't present too much of a challenge. Other than that, a whopping crop of dirt, and some missing lume, it looks to be complete. It has its case back.

AsPurchasedRear-l1600.thumb.jpg.fe3e94c64c71ce515b552d7b504a8dda.jpg

Naturally this came in at the low end of the 404 club price spectrum, but I'm pretty hopeful it will spruce up very nicely.

• 2 weeks later...

AsPurchased-l1600.thumb.jpg.4e401ba39953c605f38a35524612bb3a.jpg

A pale blue transparent day/date Swatch SUOW701 (W56/09), possibly the "Sea Rebel" design, with box for 0.99p

How could anyone resist?

Needs at minimum, a crystal (I have a pile of potential donors from a 404 club job lot), and a good clean and polish.

Edited by AndyHull
  • Like 2