KelSolaar

British School of Watchmaking Course

Hi all. I just applied for their 1,800 hour course which runs from Jan 2019.

If I get past the application stage there will be an assessment in August which will include a 'numerical and problem solving' test.

I'm not sure how to prepare for that because I'm not sure what it is exactly, so don't know how to bone-up beforehand.

The other parts of the assessment are an interview and a dexterity test, they seem self explanatory.

Anyway, aside from my worries... I'll keep you guys posted should it be of interest. I wonder how many applicants they get, seeing as they only let about 8 people on to the course. 

Good Luck!

I'm sure that many people here would like to hear about your journey as you move along. That is, assuming that you will have the time and inclination! Could be a great help to future potential students. 

Thank you people.

My next planned step is to wait until the chap confirms he has my application and then ask via email if there's any tips he can give me to help prep for the numerical/problem solving test. I'm currently assuming this is an 'iq' test, but you know what they say about assumption.

Will certainly keep this thread updated, would be a pleasure.

Quick update:

Yesterday they confirmed by email that they have received my application and will be in touch following the application deadline in July.

I emailed this morning asking if they were able to give any insight into the theory (numerical and problem solving) test ie online resources or copy of practice test. I don't think they will reveal anything, which is fair enough as this is a cheeky question to ask them, but it can't hurt to have asked. 

Edited by KelSolaar

On 5/24/2018 at 4:12 AM, KelSolaar said:

Quick update:

Yesterday they confirmed by email that they have received my application and will be in touch following the application deadline in July.

I emailed this morning asking if they were able to give any insight into the theory (numerical and problem solving) test ie online resources or copy of practice test. I don't think they will reveal anything, which is fair enough as this is a cheeky question to ask them, but it can't hurt to have asked. 

Curious to know, did they respond?

On 03/06/2018 at 5:18 PM, Bumps said:

Curious to know, did they respond?

Hi, yes, forgot to say I got a response on the 06th June. They were gracious enough to let me know about similar material online to help. 

They gave me a link to a diagrammatic reasoning test which is similar  to their logic test. And a numerical reasoning test which apparently is a little different to the numerical test but should still help.

I was also advised to spend time with fractions and rearranging formula.

As expected, they were unable to provide practice example tests.

Very happy to get such an informative response. Not least because - at best - I 'm very rusty at a lot of the above.

Quick update: I received an email today to say I have made it to the acceptance stage, which means attending the school in Manchester for the assessments mentioned before and have a good look around the school of course. That's going to be at the start of September. Cheers.