Which Watch Have You Got Coming In The Mail ? Show Us !!!

SCOTTY

12 hours ago, nrm said:

I've got a couple watches lined up in addition to the one I posted about in the Newbie repairer category

The Poljot looks pretty good. Its probably a Poljot 2614.2H, and parts are relatively easy to come by. Quite a few USSR era Sekondas share this mechanism.  I'm looking forward to seeing the Gruen too. I presume the button on the Ricoh is a date quick set. I'm not that familiar with Ricohs, so it will be interesting to see how that one is put together too. Watch out for flying springs on the Poljot date mechanism.  Don't ask me how I know. 🤨

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, nrm said:

I've got a couple watches lined up in addition to the one I posted about in the Newbie repairer category -- waiting for my confidence to arrive. Not a huge investment, but I'd like to give them the attention they deserve, and hopefully once I get inside, they deserve the attention I give them!

Something about having a small queue makes me feel a bit more urgency in getting stuck in.

IMG_0095.thumb.jpeg.42a9ef3416f96af6538ccc6a6ea35265.jpegIMG_0058.thumb.jpeg.3a7fb97732221f6443d74790c7d4eaeb.jpegIMG_0100.thumb.jpeg.02c107dd4f334b9d9b23002e96995f6c.jpeg

The Ricoh is interesting, plenty going on with that dial, i like it. The Gruen much more reserved but should be a good watch. Grunen for a time shared movements with Rolex, also dial names as seen here. Its not a Rolex but it is a Gruen nice watches matey 👍

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ManSkirtBrew said:

Another Accutron 214 found its way into my shopping cart. Not sure how that keeps happening...😇

I've always liked the railroad dials, and I'm a sucker for the blued hands.

This one was sold as running, for a nice change of pace.

You've been bitten by the Accutron bug!

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, JohnR725 said:

As it's running out of the box can I assume that you're not going to service it?

Let's not get ahead of ourselves here. I'm not one to leave well enough alone.

That said, if it looks nice inside and keeps good time, it'll go down on the list and I'll just enjoy wearing it for a while.

24 minutes ago, ManSkirtBrew said:

Let's not get ahead of ourselves here. I'm not one to leave well enough alone.

That said, if it looks nice inside and keeps good time, it'll go down on the list and I'll just enjoy wearing it for a while.

May I make a suggestion? Why don't you just enjoy your watch and not worry about servicing it. Then if you lose your mind to decide the service make sure you invite me to the discussion as there's something you don't have.

Interesting timing for this somewhere else in the group I'm still composing a response that part of it has to do with updates to documentation which never find themselves down to the original documentation. Or basically technical documentation is generated at the time the watch came into existence. Technical documentation does not cover all of the variations changes updates etc. although that documentation may exist it doesn't necessarily find its way back to the original documentation.

For instance as this is a railroad grade watch did you notice when you're setting the watch it has a hacking feature? Typically in the railroad grade watch 214 version the hack is they are so that you can set the watch to the exact second. As this watch I believe would've been a railroad grade certified and hacking would be a must.

2 hours ago, JohnR725 said:

For instance as this is a railroad grade watch did you notice when you're setting the watch it has a hacking feature?

I did know that RR grade watches generally hack, but the seconds hand continues to sweep while setting on this watch. Come to think of it, I did notice the second hand jumps a bit when you start to set it, so maybe it's trying to hack but something is missing/out of alignment/broken.

I just opened it to check, and it is the correct 214H hacking movement, and has the same M5 date as the case, so I'm guessing it's right.

Also interesting that the movement plates are silver (steel?) and not the brass color of the other movements I have. I'll have to do some more reading on the history.

There was a lot of organic matter, so at the very least I'll be de-casing the movement and cleaning the case.

20231010161044398.thumb.png.047eec3839a09e6494fcaba1f41dd8a1.png

Anyway, I don't want to hijack this thread, so once I get things apart and cleaned up I'll start my own.

3 minutes ago, ManSkirtBrew said:

yway, I don't want to hijack this thread, so once I get things apart and cleaned up I'll start my own

Yes I'm trying not the hijacked the discussion we can look at pretty watches technical can be somewhere else

the date codes as far as the case goes isn't always clear because sometimes I think the factory used whatever cases they had versus movements but yes if they're the same that is a good indication versus dramatic differences.

As far as the colors the plates go I've seen both of them I don't know why they change the colors.

6 minutes ago, ManSkirtBrew said:

but the seconds hand continues to sweep while setting on this watch. Come to think of it, I did notice the second hand jumps a bit when you start to set it, so maybe it's trying to hack but something is missing/out of alignment/broken.

Probably not broken and no you can't see the hack it's on the other side.

Tactical I'll give you is remember the case back as the crown and if there's a lot of dirt and grime under their it's spacing conceivably could change a little bit but the biggest changes spacing would be those back gaskets the original ones that we can't get anymore. So for the hack to work the back gaskets and exact location of the stem is extremely critical. Did I mention pain in the? Yes it's a pain the setup and delete something that you don't have any way so I wouldn't worry about it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

A Molnija (Молния) 15 jewel October Revolution (Октябрьская революция) USSR era pocket watch is on its way to the 404 club.

The Molnija 36xx movements are basically a copy of a Cortébert movement used in Swiss watches from around 1940.

In a working condition, these are fairly popular, but this one appears to be missing the top balance jewel, as well as the bow. It was described as "Balance is not working", so the price was a bargain bin £1.99

Almost certainly needs the balance jewel, and may need a balance staff too. I think I have a scrap movement with the jewel, but it too needs the balance staff, so I may have to go hunting for some of those.  

s-l1600.jpg

AsPurchasedFront3-l1600.png

AsPurchasedFront2-l1600.png

AsPurchasedMechanism1-l1600.png

AsPurchasedFront1-l1600.png

Edited by AndyHull
  • Like 1

Not a watch, but still pretty exciting. I've been looking for small parts and tools storage solutions, and I found these nifty Bulova "Repair Master" stacking drawers on eBay. I got two of the two-drawer units, and one that's full of parts! The single drawer just showed up and the other two should be next week.

They're a little small to hold larger movements, but will be great for my drawer o' random tools and small parts. I have a bunch of tiny zip-top bags on order for corralling small parts.

20231024_143316.thumb.jpg.1adf3206bcf6a4374e6125daaace3629.jpg

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.71dc4c1c0f91f87453dd21daaa840031.jpg

• Like 4