VWatchie

Should I lubricate the teeth of the reversing wheels?

Question

I’m in the process of establishing a reassembly and lubrication plan for of what is basically my first automatic; a Vostok calibre 2416B, and I’ve come to the reversing wheels.

42956111755_a1cedc5441_o.jpg

42956111795_825fa3a6f6_o.jpg

42956111845_9357bd178c_o.jpg
As can be seen in the above pictures from the strip down, the teeth of the reversing wheels have blackened. It looks to me like they have must have been lubricated, or could it be that the oil that was once applied to the jewels has spread out over the teeth?

So what do you think; should I lubricate the teeth, and if so what kind of lubrication do you think could be suitable?

This movement is about 25 years old and has never been serviced. I know this for a fact as I know the original owner who bought it new. The watch is in great condition and was only worn for about three years when the strap broke and was then placed in a drawer. There it had been sitting until I got in my hands. It’s a somewhat rare Komandirskie, and for anyone interested here are some pictures of it and how it got into my hands.

12 answers to this question

It would serve no purpose to oil the teeth of the wheels and it would spread around the movement, the oil residue you see could be because when it was assembled the posts for the reversing wheels where over oiled or the jewels in the reversing wheels and it has spread,  You should oil the posts and one or two of the jewels in the reversing wheels.

2 minutes ago, wls1971 said:

It would serve no purpose to oil the teeth of the wheels and it would spread around the movement, the oil residue you see could be because when it was assembled the posts for the reversing wheels where over oiled or the jewels in the reversing wheels and it has spread,  You should oil the posts and one or two of the jewels in the reversing wheels.

Well, that sounds like a very plausible explanation so I definitely will not be lubricating the teeth. Thank you very much! For the jewels, I have decided to try Lubeta V105 which was used in a video on the Watch Repair Channel. Again, much appreciated! :thumbsu:

7 hours ago, nickelsilver said:

On those I'd elilame them and lubricate only the posts they ride on with D5/HP1000.

Did you misspell that word, or is it a watch repairer term? I've Googled it and I've tried to translate it, but no luck. Unfortunately, I don't understand.

The wheels look worn. To eliminate as much friction as possible between the reversing wheels and the braces of the reversing wheels keeper (the brass looking retaining device), my plan is to polish it using 3M Lapping Film.

So, in an attempt to eliminate as much friction as possible, without using any lubricant, I've now polished the arms of the reversing wheels keeper (the brass looking retaining device) to a near mirror shine using 3M lapping film, and I've cleaned the RWs meticulously. I've also lubricated the RWs using Lubeta V105 as shown by Mark Lovick in this video. I guess polishing is overkill, but I enjoyed doing it and being a hobbyist it's a luxury I can afford. Here are a couple of pictures:

43242957984_a4631e2bf7_o.jpg

43913284402_512a37edcc_o.jpg

I think I just might have solved "The Mystery of The Blackened Reversing Wheels". After having lubricated the RWs with Lubeta V105 as shown @05:58 in this video, this is what they looked like...

43180301975_ee58e09eef_o.jpg

Before lubricating, I had cleaned the wheels spotless, but as can be seen in the above picture there is now some oil residue on the wheels. I just bet this will blacken the wheel teeth over time, or what do you think?

I have no reason to believe the Lubeta V105 residue on the RWs will spread, and it’s a very convenient way to lubricate the RWs. I haven’t done any serious research about RWs, but looking at them it would seem to me that it probably is a good idea to make the lubricant spread evenly and entirely over each jewel as is the result of using Lubeta V105. I believe I read somewhere that Lubeta V105 was developed by ETA for their automatic movements. I wouldn’t be surprised if Vostok uses it too, or a similar product.

I was also careful to clean and polish the entire watch including the case, dial, and hands. This was my first successful automatic watch service, and it’s ticking along really well. Here is an after picture of the reassembled watch fitted with a new and in my opinion seemly strap :rolleyes:

44037986162_10caa8db82_o.jpg

Thanks for all your input and interest!

On ‎8‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 1:42 AM, rodabod said:

I would have expected the black residue to be metal oxide, but it's hard to prove.

You could very well be right about that. I'll take another really close look the next time I service a Vostok Cal. 2416B. A metal oxide is usually a little harder to polish away than oil residue, and as I remember it, it didn't take many strokes with my fibreglass scratch pencil to make them shine.

Edited by VWatchie

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Bethan36
      Hi Fellow People,
      Im reaching out as I’m currently learning all I can about watchmaking, and am working through the BHI distance learning technicians course, with my exam booked for May. 
      I will need to service a quartz watch as part of my practical exam, and am learning about watch lubrication. 
      A few months ago I found a great article that covered the technique for dipping and collecting the right amount of oil on the oiler, such as the speed and angle of the dip, however, I now can’t find it anywhere, no matter how much I search the internet 
      Does anyone have or can point me in the right direction of instructions specifically on oil collection on the oiler?  As you will know there is lots on the actual oiling process but not the oil collection process.
      Any help would be greatly appreciated.  
      Thanks
      Bethan

• By DouglasSkinner
      Hi Everybody!  Henry Fried has in one of his books a little recipe for making a grease that one can use on the outer wall of the mainspring barrel in an automatic watch.  It supposedly provides lubrication for proper slippage of the mainspring tail.  Has anyone tried this?  What is the proper consistency (Fried is not very specific about this because it was probably so common in his day)?  Also how would such a preparation compare to Kluber P-125 which, here in the US is really expensive?  I won't leave it here.  I"m gonna experiment a bit with this and will let you know what I found.  Just want to see what other's have found out.  Thanks.
    • By east3rn
      Hello. 
      I recently serviced a PUW 1561 automatic movement.
      This was my first time servicing automatic movement and I am not confident on lubricating barrel wall.
      I purchased Moebius 8217, breaking grease for the barrel wall.
      The whole service was a quite long process for me so I will just get to my point.
      On the cleaned barrel wall, I applied thin layer of 8217 thinking that too much would not do any good.
      Then I placed the mainspring and applied 3 drops of Moebius 8200 before closed the barrel cap.
      After I had assembled the watch, I tried winding it. It wound well but I could hear the mainspring slip in side the barrel when I felt some tension on the crown as I was winding.
      I know that automatic mainspring slips along the barrel wheel but never experienced such 'obvious' slipping sound.
      I guess the timegrapher tells that service was not that bad but I just don't feel right when hand winding the watch.
      Is it something wrong in the barrel? May be I should have applied the 8217 more thicker?
      Thanks for always helping me out. 

• By WorldPowerLabs
      Hello all,
      I'm about to service a Timex 260 electric movement.  It's running strong as-is, but I doubt that it has been cleaned or lubricated in its lifetime.  I do have the service manual for the movement and for most of the oil points, the SM calls for Moebius Synt-A-Lube, without specifying a product number (I intend to use Moebius 9010), but for the friction pinion the manual calls for "spreading type oil" (Woods AAAA oil).  I cannot find a cross-reference for this old Woods oil and most watch oils are, of course, specifically formulated to NOT spread...  so, I'm seeking advice and suggestions for a suitable oil to use on the friction pinion.  Also, if anyone thinks that 9010 is NOT appropriate to use for the various other points, please let me know.
      Thanks much!
      Ben
    • By Lawson
      This is a 2 part series from Oklahoma State University of Watchmaking on the correct use of Oilers.
      Oiling a movement correctly is one of the most important skills you need to master, and these videos give some excellent advice.

Part 1
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMJiX0MA-Wg

Part 2
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlMW5qMHaNc