Jump to content
  • 0

lubricating barrle wall for automatic movement


Question

Hello. 

I recently serviced a PUW 1561 automatic movement.

This was my first time servicing automatic movement and I am not confident on lubricating barrel wall.

I purchased Moebius 8217, breaking grease for the barrel wall.

The whole service was a quite long process for me so I will just get to my point.

On the cleaned barrel wall, I applied thin layer of 8217 thinking that too much would not do any good.

Then I placed the mainspring and applied 3 drops of Moebius 8200 before closed the barrel cap.

After I had assembled the watch, I tried winding it. It wound well but I could hear the mainspring slip in side the barrel when I felt some tension on the crown as I was winding.

I know that automatic mainspring slips along the barrel wheel but never experienced such 'obvious' slipping sound.

I guess the timegrapher tells that service was not that bad but I just don't feel right when hand winding the watch.

Is it something wrong in the barrel? May be I should have applied the 8217 more thicker?

Thanks for always helping me out. 

 

 

KakaoTalk_20180707_195916772.jpg

KakaoTalk_20180707_195916771.jpg

KakaoTalk_20180708_233117568.jpg

Edited by east3rn
Link to post
Share on other sites

15 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0

I’ve gotten the best results from 3 small drops, 120 degrees apart. It will slip for a little while the grease spreads but I’ve found that to leave behind even less than a full thin layer. You don’t want a lot.

A friend gifted me with some Rolex TEPA and that stuff is amazing for barrel walls so I just use that now.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Looking at your timegrapher results it shows a big improvement but things are not perfect. If it was me I would re-clean the balance and escape again and inspect for any loose pallet stones etc. The auto spring should slip but not until almost a full wind. If it does not have a full wind before slippage the watch will have very little power reserve. My method is to place three small amounts of lubrcant to the barrel wall.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
8 hours ago, Narcissus said:

I’ve gotten the best results from 3 small drops, 120 degrees apart. It will slip for a little while the grease spreads but I’ve found that to leave behind even less than a full thin layer. You don’t want a lot.

A friend gifted me with some Rolex TEPA and that stuff is amazing for barrel walls so I just use that now.

Thank you for your advice. I would try it if mainpring keeps making slipping sound..

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
8 hours ago, clockboy said:

Looking at your timegrapher results it shows a big improvement but things are not perfect. If it was me I would re-clean the balance and escape again and inspect for any loose pallet stones etc. The auto spring should slip but not until almost a full wind. If it does not have a full wind before slippage the watch will have very little power reserve. My method is to place three small amounts of lubrcant to the barrel wall.

I always wanted to know how to check if the pallet stones are loose. 

Could you give me some tips?

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Breaking grease is an interesting substance too little and the spring doesn't slip, too much it slips early and basically won't even hold at all.

In addition to all the things you're supposed be checking above how did you lubricate the escapement? A variety of things can cause the waveform to not quite look right and not proper lubrication of the escapement is one of those. Then at the link below someone servicing the same movement and it's possible it's just the quality of the escapement because the waveform in the link isn't really that impressive either.

http://watchguy.co.uk/service-arowe-puw-1561/

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
2 hours ago, JohnR725 said:

Breaking grease is an interesting substance too little and the spring doesn't slip, too much it slips early and basically won't even hold at all.

It depends by the spring design I guess. For example, on Seiko no special grease is used at the factory, or needed should one decide to service the MS. The thickness and shape of the bridle ensures that it works just fine anyway.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Seiko is strange for lubrication because it depends on which tech sheet you look at. Like pallet fork pivots I can find tech sheets that show that it should be lubricated and other tech sheets show it should not. Then I think I even found one watch that one sheet said yes and another said no and it was the exact same watch? So for instance 2706a Image attached out of the service sheet.

Then the video below interesting in that almost at the very end it shows applying the lubrication which I think is the Rolex lubrication. What I find interesting is the quantity of lubrication.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KNTrHVD088

Seiko mainspring barrel oil.JPG

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
43 minutes ago, JohnR725 said:

Seiko is strange for lubrication because it depends on which tech sheet you look at. Like pallet fork pivots I can find tech sheets that show that it should be lubricated and other tech sheets show it should not. Then I think I even found one watch that one sheet said yes and another said no and it was the exact same watch? So for instance 2706a Image attached out of the service sheet.

Reassuring to know, they have the same disagreements on lubrication as the rest of the watchmaking world :biggrin: 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
On ‎7‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 7:44 AM, east3rn said:

Hello. 

I recently serviced a PUW 1561 automatic movement.

This was my first time servicing automatic movement and I am not confident on lubricating barrel wall.

I purchased Moebius 8217, breaking grease for the barrel wall.

The whole service was a quite long process for me so I will just get to my point.

On the cleaned barrel wall, I applied thin layer of 8217 thinking that too much would not do any good.

Then I placed the mainspring and applied 3 drops of Moebius 8200 before closed the barrel cap.

After I had assembled the watch, I tried winding it. It wound well but I could hear the mainspring slip in side the barrel when I felt some tension on the crown as I was winding.

I know that automatic mainspring slips along the barrel wheel but never experienced such 'obvious' slipping sound.

I guess the timegrapher tells that service was not that bad but I just don't feel right when hand winding the watch.

Is it something wrong in the barrel? May be I should have applied the 8217 more thicker?

Thanks for always helping me out. 

 

 

KakaoTalk_20180707_195916772.jpg

KakaoTalk_20180707_195916771.jpg

KakaoTalk_20180708_233117568.jpg

    if you have the main spring out,  lube it.  it will transfur to the barrel wall.  vin

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Keep it simple...fully wind the watch and see what power reserve you are getting.

40hrs plus (if you've replaced the mainspring) jobs a good'en

 

If you didn't replace the mainspring...you should've!

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
On 7/8/2018 at 10:28 AM, clockboy said:

Looking at your timegrapher results it shows a big improvement but things are not perfect. If it was me I would re-clean the balance and escape again and inspect for any loose pallet stones etc. The auto spring should slip but not until almost a full wind. If it does not have a full wind before slippage the watch will have very little power reserve. My method is to place three small amounts of lubrcant to the barrel wall.

I'm curious as to what you see on the timegrapher trace to indicate loose pallet stones.  The parameters look pretty good to me and the trace is pretty solid.  Not trying to be critical, but curious.  I work primarily on vintage movements and a trace like that would be almost orgasmic for me.


Thanks,


RMD

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

I always put the crown to the metal parts of the timegrapher. I have experience that it's not always the best if in the case and i am not putting the crown to the left. Can be that the case use a plastic spacer and the TG won't hear the sound as good.  

Interesting as i have a Lemania 3600  that i changed the spring in . Used the same method as you did.  Feels like it slipping . But the TG says it runs okay. Time will tell if i works as it should. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
2 hours ago, rduckwor said:

I work primarily on vintage movements and a trace like that would be almost orgasmic for me.

If you look carefully at the actual statement its loose pallet stones etc. It's more of a generalization statement. The graphical display comes from the sounds of the escapement. One side of the escapement produces one line the other side the other line. Then there's a problem with timing machines and liquid crystal displays we can see the pixels. So the upper line is migrating relatively straight across the display moving up one pixel at a time but remaining straight. The lower line looks like it's wandering around both going up and down. It really should look more like the upper line. So anything that affects the escapement affects the sounds shows up on the display. As it looks like only one side then it would be typically one side of the escapement. So loose pallet stone possibly even the roller jewel which would affect both could be damaged and I've even seen a loose roller jewel only show up on one side. Escapement lubrication one stone gets lubricated the other does not look like this along with anything that screws up the escapement dirty escapement etc. So cleaning examining and re-lubricating would be a good idea. Then a watch made in the early 70s isn't exactly a vintage watch it really should look a little better.

loose pallet stones.JPG

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
23 hours ago, JohnR725 said:

Then there's a problem with timing machines and liquid crystal displays we can see the pixels. So the upper line is migrating relatively straight across the display moving up one pixel at a time but remaining straight. The lower line looks like it's wandering around both going up and down. It really should look more like the upper line.

I'm think that is more an artifact of the low res display of the 1000 model than a real problem. In my opinion in the picture above the relation between lines is good, only the instrument draws some point one pixel off due to to rounding algorithm.
In other words it makes you see things worst than they are. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Thanks to both of you.  With the close up, the variation is easier to see.   The curious thing to me on the close up is that the variation in the lower line appear in groups of one, two and three pixels.  That may well be a function of the 'resolution as well.  Thanks.  I learn from every post.


RMD

Link to post
Share on other sites


  • Similar Content

    • By Amateurwatchbreaker
      Is this real? Thinking of bidding on it, but something seems off...


    • By Rafael
      Hello,
      Anyone here have an experience with a similar vintage Omega and knows how to remove the movement from the case? Tried rotating the movement (slightly, i'm afraid i'll break something) but with no luck.
      Thanks!


    • By Dubey
      Automatic not winding.
      Manual also goes rough.
      Rotor moves freely but it has difficulty pushing the spring.
       
      If wound runs normal 42 hours.
       
      Came back from Brazil (five years) , took all watches in airplane and many automatics now have difficulty? Can they have gotten covid?
       
      Never had watch issues so exploring .
       
      Others with issues.
      Dubey aerodyn X2 this is the GMT alarm. Dubey Worldtimer works fine. 
      Citizens x2 bullheads, x2 8180 and the diver as well issues (not sure number is correct) issues, the Seiko 6139s x4 steady as they go....no issues 
      Omega coaxial all good.
      ????
      Very upsetting.  Let's focus on this one first. As here the winding is rough, the others this seems fine and don't have the glass back to validate . 
       
       


    • By grh215
      Hello everyone. I have a really sad story and I am a complete amateur. I am a machinist for a living so I thought I would give a crack at making a frankenwatch, however it did not go as planned and now I have a movement with subdials that don’t work and a whole lot of parts and money invested and I don’t know what to do. I need the help of a professional. The donor movement was a NOS, new old stock, and was running perfectly, however I messed up almost everything attempting to make this watch. I will happily ship all of the parts needed to complete this watch and pay for any repair that need to be made and for the return shipping. I need the help of a professional how can repair and assemble the watch with the parts and return it to me. I will pay for everything, the labor, replacement parts, return shipping, I just need someone’s help. 
      Details about the project: 
      movement: valjoux 7733
      dial: vintage NOS angelus chronograph dial
      case: custom machined case 
      crystal: plexiglass




    • By RobRoy
      Hello forum, this is my first time posting.
      I found my great-grandfathers Timex maybe about a year ago, and to my dismay, it wound right up some 50 years later. From what I can tell, it looks to be a viscount model maybe pre-1960s? Possibly closest to a model 31 movement. My area of expertise is really limited to owning battery operated watches, so I'm hoping someone could help.
      I was using my hand to hit a wrench for my car and I didn't even notice I had my watch on. The movement stopped and from then on it's been acting funky, basically just stopping randomly throughout the day, but then restarting. When I take off the case and manually wind the rotor with my fingers, it will continue to run for quite some time, but once I try to wind it with the crown and stem or maybe even shake the watch it may only last a few moments.
      I hope someone may be able to help me diagnose some potential sources of this, since I would love to keep wearing my great-grandfathers watch. I've attached pictures too
  • Recently Browsing

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • It looks like the pinion gear on the escape wheel is absolutely worn out to me 😵     John 🙂
    • I have learned 3 things with the disassembly of my first watch. 1. Watch face retaining screws are impossibly small. On the BFG you have to remove one of them completely to get the face off.  Then, when you tweeze them back into place with a crappy tweezer, the screw torques out and is gone forever.  Use better tweezers and don’t squeeze so hard.  2. When you practice reassembling parts to help memorize it for final assembly, don’t use the work surface to flip over and re-orient springs with your tweezers. As soon as you let go, the spring finds a new home in witness protection somewhere in your workroom, also, never to be seen again.  Perhaps it is neighbors with the dial screw? 3.  This stuff is fun.  I can't seem to find a source for this spring, and I am not dropping 100+ USD for a parts movement. Therefore, I may have to make it.  Anyone have experience with making springs?   Where do I source the spring steel?  I saw someone use piano sting wire to create one.   Any help or advice here would be appreciated.     I have circled the part in the pic below.   -Devon  
    • Ok great. I’m not comfortable getting this “deep” into altering things. I had visions of too much or too little end shake and pulling what’s left of my hair out... Im somewhat relieved that it’s straightforward. I’m still not sure the donor spring I have is sized properly, but I hope so. 
    • Hi, Could someone help me identify this watch movement?
×
×
  • Create New...