Hi Fellow People,

Im reaching out as I’m currently learning all I can about watchmaking, and am working through the BHI distance learning technicians course, with my exam booked for May. 

I will need to service a quartz watch as part of my practical exam, and am learning about watch lubrication. 

A few months ago I found a great article that covered the technique for dipping and collecting the right amount of oil on the oiler, such as the speed and angle of the dip, however, I now can’t find it anywhere, no matter how much I search the internet 

Does anyone have or can point me in the right direction of instructions specifically on oil collection on the oiler?  As you will know there is lots on the actual oiling process but not the oil collection process.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  

Thanks

Bethan

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By HongJiho
      Hi my friends.
      I saw WRT video in youtube. It's so helpful to me. Thank you Watch Repair Channel.
      After watching video, I'm looking for watch repair oil and grease.
      I want know what oil & grease need to beginner.
      In addition, I want know what oil &grease used in video (7s26 repiar video).
      If anyone knew about that, help my work.
      I will very appreciate any information or links.
      Thank you to read my poor writing. 
    • By DouglasSkinner
      Hi Everybody!  Henry Fried has in one of his books a little recipe for making a grease that one can use on the outer wall of the mainspring barrel in an automatic watch.  It supposedly provides lubrication for proper slippage of the mainspring tail.  Has anyone tried this?  What is the proper consistency (Fried is not very specific about this because it was probably so common in his day)?  Also how would such a preparation compare to Kluber P-125 which, here in the US is really expensive?  I won't leave it here.  I"m gonna experiment a bit with this and will let you know what I found.  Just want to see what other's have found out.  Thanks.
    • By VWatchie
      These jewels are from my very first ETA movement that I'm servicing (cal. 1080), and none of the movements I've been working on so far (Vostoks, Poljots, and a Unitas 6498) has had jewels like these. My question is simply how to oil them? They do look a lot like cap jewels and maybe that's what they are called? If I were to guess I would say that they should be oiled the same way that spring cap jewels are oiled, but I'd really like to know for sure. And, while I'm at it, what's the purpose of these non-springed "cap jewels"? I've also seen them in pictures of some really old movements having a balance without a shock spring.
      The movement comes from my grandfather's (born 1910) Ernest Borel Incastar which we believe he bought sometime in the early 1960-ties. It's a family heirloom, and I've been waiting to service it until having worked up some confidence. I had no idea it harboured an ETA movement so that was a pleasant and rather exciting surprise. As far as I know, it has never been serviced.

As can be seen in the above picture it has a really interesting regulator mechanism, and I actually found this ad for it on eBay. Setting the rate I would assume is just a matter of rotating that five-pointed "star", but I wonder if that entire arm can be slid to regulate the beat error?
    • By VWatchie
      I’m in the process of establishing a reassembly and lubrication plan for of what is basically my first automatic; a Vostok calibre 2416B, and I’ve come to the reversing wheels.

As can be seen in the above pictures from the strip down, the teeth of the reversing wheels have blackened. It looks to me like they have must have been lubricated, or could it be that the oil that was once applied to the jewels has spread out over the teeth?
      So what do you think; should I lubricate the teeth, and if so what kind of lubrication do you think could be suitable?
      This movement is about 25 years old and has never been serviced. I know this for a fact as I know the original owner who bought it new. The watch is in great condition and was only worn for about three years when the strap broke and was then placed in a drawer. There it had been sitting until I got in my hands. It’s a somewhat rare Komandirskie, and for anyone interested here are some pictures of it and how it got into my hands.

• By east3rn
      Hello. I am considering buying a bottle of fixodrop and I found that there are many options regarding the quantity.
      Since I am hobbyist watchmaker, I don't service a watch very often.(Couple of them in a month)
      In this case, would it be okay to purchase the smallest amount of fixodrop(1ml)? 
      One more thing. Is there anything else I should get to apply the fixodrop to my pallet fork?