Watch of Today

mk3

Oh, yeah, one of those!! When I got it, it looked like it had been to war! :)

But I like the challenge and it was actually not too bad considering. The plating was very damaged so I did what I could. Those you can't sand, buff or anything too much or they become the base metal...whichever metal. After a good cleaning and some replacement parts it is working great! I'll put it in the timegraph again with more time and post a picture.

Cheers,

Bob

Wearing a 'sleeper' for the last few days.

This is a Seiko 6309 sports diver I got from 'the watchcollector'. I put in a 6306 movement which has 21jewels and hacks. It has lost 8 seconds over the last two days so I'm happy! 

P_20160908_113046.jpg

Anil

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, anilv said:

Wearing a 'sleeper' for the last few days.

This is a Seiko 6309 sports diver I got from 'the watchcollector'. I put in a 6306 movement which has 21jewels and hacks. It has lost 8 seconds over the last two days so I'm happy! 

P_20160908_113046.jpg

Anil

You'll have to get a watch that's a bit fast to make up for the lost time ...

• Like 1

Well it's here and already working, I mentioned this on other thread, "stay or go" Borel. Now before the size matters debate starts, it actually feels comfy and pretty lightweight, I don't mind it being a bit obtrusive, (we will see about any comments, positive or negative!) Besides, without my reading glasses on, some watches are pretty hard to see.:unsure: not crazy about strap, I suppose it takes some getting used to. I spared you all the "unboxing" video that some folks seem to think is essential, I think they are pretty boring, JMHO, don't hate me for it.  I look forward to many years of service, by the time it needs any work, I should have learned enough about the 4R to tackle it myself. Enjoy....DSCF0314.JPG

• Like 3

Boy i have missed quite a few good ones whilst ive been away :D

Id like to say ive been on exotic holiday but alas just recovering from horrible virus which nearly killed me off :)

Not one to sit on my rear end doing nothing i thought id start back with a good old Omega ( one of many to finished ).

Newly finished and back to health ( like me :) ) 1943 - Omega 17.8 SC Early Waterproof Casing - All original

DSC07284.jpg

The balance was almost beyond repair but after many hours work she back in business.

Next  one on my hit list is a 1966 Seamaster Cosmic :)

• Like 3

On September 10, 2016 at 5:24 AM, MrBeat said:

Boy i have missed quite a few good ones whilst ive been away :D

Id like to say ive been on exotic holiday but alas just recovering from horrible virus which nearly killed me off :)

Not one to sit on my rear end doing nothing i thought id start back with a good old Omega ( one of many to finished ).

Newly finished and back to health ( like me :) ) 1943 - Omega 17.8 SC Early Waterproof Casing - All original

DSC07284.jpg

The balance was almost beyond repair but after many hours work she back in business.

Next  one on my hit list is a 1966 Seamaster Cosmic :)

I'm curious ,...what did you do to repair the balance ?  

Good news to hear that you overcame the virus issue .  I used to get bad virus's on my PC , so I switched over to a Mac....yuk yuk...

Clean looking Omega . Which caliber is it ?

2 hours ago, ricardopalamino said:

I'm curious ,...what did you do to repair the balance ?  

Good news to hear that you overcame the virus issue .  I used to get bad virus's on my PC , so I switched over to a Mac....yuk yuk...

Clean looking Omega . Which caliber is it ?

The calibre is a 17.8 SC or otherwise known as a R300 i believe ?

The balance was stripped down completely, the upper cap jewel was treated for rust, regulator boot adjusted, the hairspring was carefully formed back to correct shape which took most time. The whole assembly needed a thorough clean and a careful hand, but the watch runs within a minute or so and only a 0.3 beat error. I will likely never wear it tbh as i like collecting this type and admiring it :)

I noticed also the original lume still glows quite well for the age ha ha

Oh and cheers Bob for the welcoming return :D

• Like 1

Nice watch MrBeat , ...I did a quick search on it and it seems to be from the late 30's early 40's .

It seems that it's a rectangle movement in a round case . I read that the OXG stamped on the balance cock had something to do with a US import , or something of that nature .

"in A. Kreuzer's 'Omega Designs' book he only mentions cal. R17.8 as having 17 jewels (all 300-310 cal. are 17 jewels)"

Screen shot 2016-09-11 at 12.11.07 PM.png

Edited by ricardopalamino
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Cad101 said:

Today I'm wearing this amphibian in its original form until all the bits come from mother Russia to give it a face lift.IMG_0557[1].JPG

Hey Mick, That is a nice piece of Russian mecano.... look like a T-34 he he ...So you collect at little bit of everything or?

Have a nice day...

Viet Nam Era Glycine Airman .  

https://ambwatches.com/2014/04/01/glycine-airman-special-cal-as-170001/

I don't bring this one out of hibernation very often .  I found this one at the swapmeet about 3 years ago . A seller had it on a tarp and I picked it up to examine it . The crystal was crazed and all I could make out was the word Glycine , which at the time I didn't know anything about . I figured it might be a Swiss watch because of the case back design . It was on a worn , used fake Rolex SS bracelet that was the selling point for the seller . He was asking $20 and I offered $10 , which he refused .  I chatted with the seller a bit , then offered $15 which was again refused .  I put the watch down , thanked him , and moved on to the seller across the aisle .

A moment later I felt a tap on my shoulder  and it was the watch seller . He said ,OK , I'll take $15 ,..I paid and moved on . 

You won't believe my surprise when I got home and opened up the watch for inspection and then read the article in the attached link from AMB watches .  This watch has a 24 hour movement and a special hacking feature ,...when you pull out the crown , a tiny wire comes out of the dial at 12 O'clock and stops the second hand until the crown is pushed back in .

I installed a new crystal made for this model and a new canvas watchband with cordura backing .

DSC00055.JPG

DSC00005.JPG

Screen shot 2015-06-01 at 1.44.17 PM.png

Edited by ricardopalamino
  • Like 2

Today im wearing my latest bay refurb an Elgin 845. It was in a bit of a state when I got it and would run for a couple of seconds when shook. The case and glass were beyond repair and it had no back so really I just bought a movement and dial. Luckily I have spares so gave it a full service a new case and second hand and she's come out quite nice and will go in my Elgin section of watches in my case.20160917_104554.jpgs-l500.jpg

• Like 4

I just did a serial number lookup for my Elgin on the Online Elgin Database .  According to these results the watch was made in 1904 . Could that be right ??  Yikes !!

Search Results For "11999734"

Serial Number   SN Range Quanty Name Year grade size code   jewels Adj/reg/etc.
--------------  -------- ------ ---- ---- ----- ---- ------ ------ ------------
      11999734  11997001   3000      1904 320     0s h3n2p      7j

grade total runs   first yr  last yr class  size  code   jewels Adj/name
----- ----- -----  --------  ------- -----  ----  ------ ------ ----------
320  914000 257        1903     1916  116     0s  h3n2p      7j

Class 116:         3/4 pend
    298     196000 made 0s HC model 2  7j gilded
    318     101999 made 0s HC model 2 15j
    320     914000 made 0s HC model 2  7j
    323       7000 made 0s HC model 2 11j
    354     274000 made 0s HC model 2 15j
    377      30000 made 0s HC model 2 15j gilded